Cobb to Orioles (Confirmed by Roch Kubatko)

Greg

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cobb gets full no-trade til November of this year, limited thereafter (10 teams) 

Orioles Designate Jose Mesa Jr., Announce Alex Cobb Signing mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/oriole…

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

But what's the difference here?  Let's say semi-best case he gets back to the two years before the surgery.  He's at 170 innings of a 2.80, good for around four wins.  Don't want to be too negative, but doesn't this make the likely case 79 wins instead of 75?

This is where you have to have a little bit of the blind orange faith that maybe Dan, Buck, or some anonymous analyst, and it is anyone's guess who it would be -  know some little something that PECOTA/Zips/Steamer, etc. don't know.  A nugget about how the ballpark plays, or contact management, or how to use a bullpen (though I think Buck not dry humping is most of that) of Orioles intellectual capital.  

For the sustainability of Oriole competitiveness, I'm glad this secret - possibly imaginary - ingredient hasn't become common knowledge.  I'm not sure why we haven't stunk as projected most of this decade, but I'm glad we haven't, and have a little hope it hasn't *all* been cluster luck, a once-in-a-lifetime bullpen WPA, etc.

I'm pretty late to this party and haven't read through the 40+ pages of this thread, but I just want to go on record and say I'm thrilled with this deal.

Cobb was the pitcher I hoped (but never believed) we'd get from the beginning of this offseason.  His success in the AL East gives me lots of confidence.  I imagine there's some skeptics on here.  Our last big four year deal to a starting pitcher obviously didn't work out.  But I have a good feeling about this one.

In my opinion, this makes us legitimate wildcard hopefuls.  I also think this team could look real competitive in 2020 as well.

Good stuff, O's!

51 minutes ago, Greg said:

Cobb gets full no-trade til November of this year, limited thereafter (10 teams) 

Orioles Designate Jose Mesa Jr., Announce Alex Cobb Signing mlbtraderumors.com/2018/03/oriole…

So what does DFA'ing mean in reference to a Rule 5 guy?   We have 10 days to :

-- trade him to a team that will assume the rule 5 responsibilities

or else at that point, does he go through waivers, or does he get offered straight back to the Yankees for the $ (what is it, $10K or $25K, I forget?)

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Familiar with the article. Could it be that he was just throwing a regular change last season?

After rereading, doesn't sound like it. Still pretty encouraging though, especially since he's data savvy. If the pitch is truly back, he knows it.

Archived