ESPN front office survey touches on Machado, Jones, and O's

Frobby

ESPN surveyed 43 front office types and asked a number of questions that directly or indirectly relate to Manny, Jones or the O's.   Excerpts appear below.

2. Which star free-agent infielder will be traded before the deadline in July? Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, neither or both?

Responses: Machado 13; Donaldson 13; Both 8; Neither 5. Four respondents had no opinion.

3. What team do you think Bryce Harper will be playing for in 2019? Will he become baseball's first $400 million player?

Responses: Nationals 15 ½; Phillies 10 ½; Cubs 3 ½; Dodgers 3; Yankees 2 ½; Angels 2; Padres 1. Five participants had no response.

Six respondents predicted that Harper will surpass $400 million, and multiple insiders think he will at the very least surpass Giancarlo Stanton's MLB-record $325 million deal with the Miami Marlins.

It's worth noting that Machado, with a big walk year, could outearn Harper on the open market. Machado turns 26 this summer, has three All-Star Games on his resume, plays a premium defensive position at shortstop and has appeared in 475 of a possible 486 games since 2015. Machado's agent, Dan Lozano of the MVP Sports Group, negotiated Albert Pujols' $240 million contract with the Angels and Joey Votto's $225 million agreement with the Reds, so he has a track record for landing mega-deals.

4. Of these upcoming free-agent outfielders, who is most likely to sign an extension with his current team -- Charlie Blackmon, Adam Jones or Andrew McCutchen?

Responses: Blackmon 25; Jones 9; McCutchen 3; None 3; No opinion 2. "I think all three probably stay where they are. Is that an option?'' a scout said.

8. The Minnesota Twins made the playoffs last year and the Milwaukee Brewers fell one game short of the wild card. Which team with relatively modest expectations is most likely to have an impact this season?

Responses: Angels 7; Mets 7; Phillies 4; Giants 3; Athletics 3; Rockies 3; Cardinals 2; White Sox 2; Braves 2; Blue Jays 2; Padres 2; Mariners 1; Twins 1; Orioles 1; Reds 1; Rays 1. No response 1.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22934532/400-million-harper-yankees-letdown-mlb-execs-size-2018

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I don't think Jones is likely to be blown away by his market. He probably IS likely to stay if the Orioles want him.

If I'm the O's, I bring him back for intangibles more than on-field production provided he's willing to shift to a corner. He's not a necessity next year with Santander, Mancini, Mullins, Hays, Stewart, etc., but I still would like to see him back on the right terms.

Jones is a tricky one - he certainly has earned an opportunity to chase a title and nobody would begrudge him for leaving if the opportunity arose.  If he did leave for a contender, I don't think he would be playing CF with his limited range.  I could see him shifting to left and contributing.  I don't know who the O's have to move in and replace him in CF that could bring the offense he brings.

I would love to see Jones stay as an Oriole, but honestly I don't see where he fits in the future. We already have Mancini and Hays for the corners (plus potentially some combination of Mountcastle, Stewart, and Santander). He is already challenged playing center now. Plus if we are in rebuild mode he is not going to want to play for a losing club. I just don't see where he fits at the money he is going to want. 

Jones is definitely a tricky one.  I'd love to bring him back as a corner OF at the proper price.  We'll probably need to pay a bit more than we should from a baseball standpoint, but he has leadership skills out the wazoo, and there is real value in that.

However, as Aristotelian points out, we have a slew of young outfielders that may need playing time as soon as next year, particularly if Davis continues to block Mancini at 1st.  I think the performance of those players in the minors (and possibly majors) this year will help us in our decision on Jones.

Just now, glenn__davis said:

Jones is definitely a tricky one.  I'd love to bring him back as a corner OF at the proper price.  We'll probably need to pay a bit more than we should from a baseball since, but he had leadership skills out the wazoo.  

However, as Aristotelian points out, we have a slew of young outfielders that may need playing time as soon as next year, particularly if Davis continues to block Mancini at 1st.  I think the performance of those players in the minors (and possibly majors) this year will help us in our decision on Jones.

If? Davis blocks Mancini? Better get used to that.

Adam Jones feels very Moustakas to me.  I'd be curious to see what a Jones, Mullins, Hays OF could do with the leather.  If Rasmus plays well, he could be back to do Nate McLouth things in that setup.

It would also need Mountcastle cracking the case on 3B throws, and Mancini coming in to 1B/DH, while either one of Davis/Trumbo find a way off the roster or become a very expensive platoon. 

48 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Who is your CF next season? Mullins? Can Hays play it if Mullins is not ready? Jones can backup?

Hays can play it, I’m not sure you want him there long term though. His speed is marginal for CF, but then again so is Jones’s at this point in his career.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Hays can play it, I’m not sure you want him there long term though. His speed is marginal for CF, but then again so is Jones’s at this point in his career.

I thought Hays has above average speed. If not, I really don’t want a lateral move upon Jones’ (apostrophe possessive, not stylistic) departure.

Archived