Welp, Are We Officially Worried About Brach?

MagicBird

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Il BuonO said:

Tell you what, it looks to me like Brach is one of those guys who’s affected by the pressure of closing. Think Tommy Hunter.

Please.  He just let some guys get on so he could face easier hitters.  The error was a little too obvious though.

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Tell you what, it looks to me like Brach is one of those guys who’s affected by the pressure of closing. Think Tommy Hunter.

My theory is if people stopped acting like saves were a thing and closers were a thing that the 9th wouldn't be as tough.  The 9th would still have some cache for obvious reasons but it's over-hyped.  People get bent out of shape from titles and status and anyone who doesn't believe me should get an office job :P

1 minute ago, Barnaby Graves said:

My theory is if people stopped acting like saves were a thing and closers were a thing that the 9th wouldn't be as tough.  The 9th would still have some cache for obvious reasons but it's over-hyped.  People get bent out of shape from titles and status and anyone who doesn't believe me should get an office job :P

Maybe so, but it wouldn’t change the pressure of finishing the game. Brach is fine as a setup man, find someone else.

Just now, Il BuonO said:

Maybe so, but it wouldn’t change the pressure of finishing the game. Brach is fine as a setup man, find someone else.

I'm just saying, it isn't as if the other innings don't have the same pressures.  Or worse!  What's the pressure with bases loaded no one out in the 8th in a 1-run game vs. 3 runs up clean inning in the 9th?  Why should Brach be better at the former than the latter?

Just now, Il BuonO said:

I'm always hesitant to say a guy can't close due to pressure. 

The evidence is trending that way for Brach but I also think his stuff is just not there this year.  I'm not sure he could get the setup job done right now.

Just now, Barnaby Graves said:

I'm just saying, it isn't as if the other innings don't have the same pressures.  Or worse!  What's the pressure with bases loaded no one out in the 8th in a 1-run game vs. 3 runs up clean inning in the 9th?  Why should Brach be better at the former than the latter?

Ask him, but he certainly looks worse in these situations. Do you think he isn’t affected?

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm always hesitant to say a guy can't close due to pressure. 

The evidence is trending that way for Brach but I also think his stuff is just not there this year.  I'm not sure he could get the setup job done right now.

I’ll go along with that.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

Ask him, but he certainly looks worse in these situations. Do you think he isn’t affected?

I agree with you, he is affected.  I think maybe these guys get affected because they go "I'm a closer damnit, this means something."

When we had this guy doing clutch defusal situations in the 8th he seemed better mentally.

But let's not discount the physical aspects, he looked shaky in ST with low velocities.  I didn't see that today but there could still be an underlying issue.

I agree with you, he is affected.  I think maybe these guys get affected because they go "I'm a closer damnit, this means something."

When we had this guy doing clutch defusal situations in the 8th he seemed better mentally.

But let's not discount the physical aspects, he looked shaky in ST with low velocities.  I didn't see that today but there could still be an underlying issue.

Agreed

Obviously he couldn't command the ball but what is the underlying reason?  :confused:

Archived