Welp, Are We Officially Worried About Brach?

MagicBird

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

He's a setup guy. Buck, I'm begging you... for my own sanity... switch to a different closer asap.

O’Day, Givens and Castro each have a blown save already this season.    I really don’t think it matters much who pitches what inning with these guys.   Gun to my head, O’Day’s the one I trust to stay calm no matter the situation, but he’s fallible, and in fact blew the save today in the 7th inning.   

6 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

The radio broadcast talked about lacking grip with no moisture in the air.  Not sure I buy that, but it was mentioned.

Bleier did OK in the dry air. So did Araujo and Castro. I don't buy it for a second. Brach terrifies me. He is going to cost us a lot of games this year and was very lucky that he didn't cost us one today.

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

O’Day, Givens and Castro each have a blown save already this season.    I really don’t think it matters much who pitches what inning with these guys.   Gun to my head, O’Day’s the one I trust to stay calm no matter the situation, but he’s fallible, and in fact blew the save today in the 7th inning.   

True. The whole bullpen is guys like Brach who are "good not great" relievers. A lot of people are projecting Scott into that role but he showed he is vulnerable too.  

Count me more than worried.  I felt we should have dealt him just after his high water mark last year.  That was not met with many like minded opinions...  Buck has even said being a closer is different than the mindset needed for a set up guy.  Brach is a set up guy.  Givens should be the closer not having Britton, but he's a valuable innings guy too.  Maybe O'Day, but enough with the Brach as closer experiment.

What I liked most about his appearance was Caleb's in his face: GO GET THIS THING! after the DP.  Caleb is a ballplayer.  Loved that enthusiasm.  Hopefully Brad has his balls back.  He lost them last season, somewhere along the way...

edit...... I say O'Day as closer because he's a vet and looking better than he has the past couple years with injury.  Getting healthy.  He has the head for it.

33 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

True. The whole bullpen is guys like Brach who are "good not great" relievers. A lot of people are projecting Scott into that role but he showed he is vulnerable too.  

Great reliever is an ephemeral commodity. Kenley Jansen might just be good these days.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I missed the end of the game tonight. Did they say what's up with using O'Day for the Save? 

Essentially, Buck liked the matchups between O’Day and the guys who were due up.    Nothing wrong with Brach.    My guess is this was Buck wanting to get O’Day back on his horse after blowing Wednesday’s game against the Tigers.  

Brach came in the 6th today. Got the strikeout to keep Gausman in line for the win, but then gave up 2 runs in the 7th. Brach seems completely unreliable at this point although his stuff was there (4 K's in 1.1 IP). 

Buck had Bleier warming in the 8th with Givens on the mound, but went with O'Day for the 9th. Looks like O'Day is, in fact, the top option of the committee.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Brach looks ok. He’s not good as a closer because he needs consistent work to keep his command. 

Who cares about a closer?  We have 6 wins. Just get these guys consistent work. 

I thought him wearing down the last couple years was due to over work.

Archived