2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

Wright might be good with the Padres,  Mariners or  A's.  Pick a big park.    But that will never help him as an Oriole.   His time with the O's is coming to an end.  Melville is ready for a promotion and Hess is very close.   I have to think that Tillman will be pitching for his roster spot on Thursday. And Wright is close to being DFA'd.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

His attitude?

What attitude?  The fact that he's upset with himself when he fails?  I can do without the punching things but I don't think he's a bad influence on others.

Let's not forget he once blamed Chris Davis for a loss for a bad defensive play, when he himself pitched like trash, as usual. 

On 2/9/2018 at 8:04 AM, Frobby said:

My overall take is that while Wright’s fastball has good velocity and decent movement, especially in relief, his secondary stuff is mediocre.   He has OK control but it doesn’t translate to good command, and he makes too many mistakes that big league hitters can pound.     Plus, he seems prone to letting things snowball and seems easily rattled.

His velocity has been inconsistent and his secondary stuff is below average. Yes, movement but poor command. He actually looks to be getting worse. I was surprised he pitched as well as he did after immediately surrendered runs in relief of Bundy.

I know the OP was written at the start of the season, but I’m sure you have seen the difference. I was just using part of the OP in reference to his latest appearances.

He's a dime a dozen and not worth a 25 man spot when he has no options remaining.  He's 28 years old.  His development with the O's is done.  And he never had Arrieta-level stuff so I'm not too concerned they will replicated that debacle.

Bottom line is the Orioles are going to be forced to DFA b/c they are going to need  an open, optionable spot in the 'pen.  Probably soon.

They need to just take their medicine and DFA him and Tillman and move on.  Until they do that, they are just crapping on the fans.

I've been saying he needs to go for some time, however, given where the team is,  perhaps it's time to think outside the box. I would put Wright in the rotation replacing Tillman. What do they have to lose? Hope that he can put two or three good starts together and trade him to whomever bites.

If he goes 0-for-5 in in five starts, then DFA him and release him.

I don’t know why Wright would be entitled to ML starts more so than Ynoa, Lee, Aquino or any other scrub they’ve thrown out there. Not to mention the young guys like Hess or Melville. Sure the first group mentioned aren’t and upgrade but Wright has been given far many more chances.

Time to move on and cycle in the next set of Orioles. If the younger guys aren’t ready yet then mix and match. How about a 40 man spot for Edgin and give Castro or even Bleier a shot at the rotation? Outside the box. Giving Wright anything more than his release is the same old, same old.

1 hour ago, gtown said:

Entitled to starts? No. What I am describing is a desperate (and admittedly probably futile) attempt to extract minimal trade value before cutting him loose.

Sometimes it’s better to cut bait than hope for a minimal return. Wright, Tillman, et al, are not ML pitchers. 

• 2 weeks later...

o

7 OUTS: ) 2 Popouts, 2 Flyouts, 2 Lineouts, 1 Strikeout

DENNIMICHAEWRIGHT, JR. )))))) (vs. RED SOX, 5/20)

IP:lll2.33 - PLUS ) *

H:llll 4 )) (4 Singles)

R:llll 0

BB:lll3

SO:lll1

Pitches: )l 52(32 )Strikes, )20 )Balls)

2018 ERA: )l 7.88 ) 24.00 IP  (21 ER)

2018 WHIP: )l 1.958 )  24.00 IP  (47 H/BB)

2018 OPPONENTS BATTING AVG: )l .333 )  (33 for 99)

* )) Wright entered the game with a runner on 1st base with 2 outs, in the 5th inning.

PITCHES BY INNING

12 ll(91 lllStrikes, ll3 llllBalls) ) **

13 lll(81 lllStrikes, ll5 llllBalls)

18 lll(11 lllStrikes, ll7 llllBalls)

91 lll(41 lllStrikes, ll5 llllBalls) ) ***

** )) Wright recorded 1 out upon entering the game in the 5th inning.

*** )) Wright did not record any outs before departing the game in the 8th inning.

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(June 1st)

In Wright's last 6 outings combined, he has thrown 9 shutout innings.

In that span, his ERA has gone down from 9.15 to 6.37.

However ........ his WHIP in that same span is a subpar 1.556, and most of those outings were not in games that were close (the Nationals game yesterday and the Yankees game today were relatively close.)

o

12 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(June 1st)

In Wright's last 6 outings combined, he has thrown 9 shutout innings.

In that span, his ERA has gone down from 9.15 to 6.37.

However ........ his WHIP in that same span is a subpar 1.556, and most of those outings were not in games that were close (the Nationals game yesterday and the Yankees game today were relatively close.)

o

Right now I'll take this. I'm going to enjoy anything positive. Maybe he turns out to be a serviceable reliever. 

My nephew Josh Graham is the sports radio guy for East Carolina University and here is his recent interview with ECU Pirate alumnus...Mike Wright... on the occasion of ECU hosting an NCAA regional baseball matchup.....

My fav part of the interview....Josh: .”Do you sing along with Thank God I’m a Country Boy?  Mike:  Yeah, but I didn’t know the words till they put them up on the scoreboard.”  

Archived