This team needs to start acting like they care.

amdcpus

On 4/4/2018 at 12:17 PM, OFFNY said:

o

Frank, trust me ........ I was looking directly at his face when the camera was on him, and his expressions was as smug as smug can be.

I couldn't believe it. It was as clear as day that he was/is pleased with the fact that he is making the league minimum salary while pitching badly, and that he cares nothing about the results.  

I mean, get a load of his picture while he playing for the Advanced-A Tampa Yankees last year. Are you going to tell me that that look isn't smug ???

3d93f3b9_milb.jpg

o

On 4/4/2018 at 12:38 PM, Beef Supreme said:

Ohhh, he's the worst kind of smug! Smiling all pretty when he knows the cameras are looking and then BOOM!, back to Mr. Smuggy McSmugginton.

It's like he's taunting us by having a normal face in that picture.  A modest smile?  Sick brag that things are going fine for you, buddy!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe - and I'm just spitballing here - the Astros are the best team in baseball and that is why the Orioles struggled with them on the road.

The series at Yankee Stadium was a lot more competitive.  I know they're supposed to be really good too but right now, they ain't the Astros.

33 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I think @OFFNY sufficiently addressed the second half of your statement.  As for the first half, I just rewatched the play multiple times and need to say that you're overselling it a bit here.  He could have hurried it more, but he wasn't dragging along.  MM was going to his right (viewer's left), got his feet set and threw in a pretty timely manner.  To call it "terribl[y] nonchalant" is overselling it big time.  The other side of him speeding things up is that he sails the ball into the 1B side stands potentially.  It ended up being a bang-bang play.  Again, he certainly could have sped it up, but to use it as evidence of him not caring (thus supporting the thesis of this thread) is misguided, IMHO.

Interesting, I was watching the YES feed and they were all over him. I might have been biased by their take. 

It is true that rushing it might have led to the same outcome. I don't think it was a lack of effort, more of a mental freeze thinking he had more time than he did. Combination of lack of familiarity with SS and underestimating the runner.

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Interesting, I was watching the YES feed and they were all over him. I might have been biased by their take. 

It is true that rushing it might have led to the same outcome. I don't think it was a lack of effort, more of a mental freeze thinking he had more time than he did. Combination of lack of familiarity with SS and underestimating the runner.

I deliberately didn't mention this as I didn't want to stoke any of the Beckham/MM 3B/SS fires, but it's a good point.  I like to think that both guys will get a bit more natural at their respective spots as the season progresses.  That ball isn't one Manny would have necessarily fielded (in that same manner) as a 3B over the past several years.

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

I heard loud banging noises coming from the dugout after the 1st inning.

Well I did see Wright punching the dugout wall after he got pulled.   Unfortunately, he didn’t break any bones.  

Scott, the third reliever used after Wright’s early departure, put runners on the corners with two outs in the bottom half and Austin Romine singled to right field off Darren O’Day to tie the score 7-7. O’Day showed his frustration by pounded his fist in his glove.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/04/gentrys-run-scoring-single-in-12th-gives-os-8-7-win.html

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

That’s a little dark for you, no?

Yes.    I thought about whether the joke was too mean.    Needless to say, I wasn’t serious.    And needless to say, punching a wall isn’t the smartest thing for a pitcher to do.

Just now, Frobby said:

Yes.    I thought about whether the joke was too mean.    Needless to say, I wasn’t serious.    And needless to say, punching a wall isn’t the smartest thing for a pitcher to do.

As a young teen my younger brother punched a brick wall during a game and broke his hand. We let him know they don’t give and never punch back.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

He wasn't even punching it hard and it's padded. I was completely fine with it and glad to see he was frustrated with his performance.

3 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

As a young teen my younger brother punched a brick wall during a game and broke his hand. We let him know they don’t give and never punch back.

Jomar Reyes could tell Wright that.  

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

He wasn't even punching it hard, and it's padded. I was completely fine with it, and glad to see he was frustrated with his performance.

o

Yeah ........ but just a few days ago, you wanted this "dominant" pitcher to be screaming at Buck Showalter for taking him out of the game for "some Rule 5 hacks."

o

On 4/4/2018 at 12:03 AM, amdcpus said:

I want to see Santander screaming at the ground after grounding out softly for the 20th time in a row, I want to see Mancini going crazy in the clubhouse breaking any object in sight after going 0-3 and costing the team 2 runs on an error, I want to see Davis snapping his bat in two after striking out for the 5th time in a row, I want to see Wright screaming at Buck after he cost them the game by taking out the dominant pitcher for some Rule 5 hacks. This team needs some emotion and passion and need to start acting like they care.

Wright was not "dominant" today, like he was in his last game when he only gave up 3 runs over 5 innings pitched. Today he gave up 5 runs in 2/3 of an inning, he made a lousy throw to Machado at 2nd base (leading to 3 additional Yankee runs), and he had a horrible Strikes-to-Balls ratio.

So aside from his lightly punching of the padded wall in frustration (which you completely approve of), should Showalter have returned the favor of being yelled at by the previously dominant Wright, and screamed at him for sucking as badly as he did ???

o

Archived