Mike Wright is not a major league pitcher.

Snutchy

45 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

You often hear the phrase, “He picked up his teammates,” as way of describing how a pitcher overcomes mistakes in a bad defensive inning. Wright doesn’t do that. If anything he compounds the mistakes.

Good point. As much as I was so irritated, to put it mildly, over Brach with his botched first three batters of the 12th inning, he eventually picked up his teammates with starting the DP and the K vs. Stanton. Could not envision Wright doing that. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Good point. As much as I was so irritated, to put it mildly, over Brach with his botched first three batters of the 12th inning, he eventually picked up his teammates with starting the DP and the K vs. Stanton. Could not envision Wright doing that. 

Well, that's the thing.  He's had a number of chances and he has the stuff.  It's time, past time really for him to break through.  But it's a funny game and Brach is a funny example, but appropriate.  We have already seen Brach stumble as closer, last year and of course this year already.  It will be interesting to see how yesterday factors in for him and his confidence.  Will he be more comfortable as closer?  Will we be more comfortable with him?  I don't know, but days like yesterday will help and Mike Wright needs to step up and do the same.

Mike Wright is not a major league pitcher is not something I am ready to sign off on...but if he is a major league pitcher...with the Baltimore Orioles...it's time Mike.  I think Mike still believes he can.  I still think he can!  Hopefully, we are both....right.;) 

Wright reminds my a lot of Davis, as JMHO I think both have issue's upstairs. I re-watched that 1st inning last night and Wright did throw some good pitches, and was close to getting out of that inning,  and then just seem to fall apart mechanically and could not throw a strike.

It's a dang shame because the guys stuff is better then Tillman right now.

6 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well, that's the thing.  He's had a number of chances and he has the stuff. It’s time, past time really for him to break through. 

....I think Mike still believes he can.  I still think he can!  Hopefully, we are both....right.;) 

Having the tools, or, in this case stuff doesn’t always translate on the field. Witness Felix Pie, a five tool player. 

It’s past time.

Wright should consider himself lucky if he’s going to pitch out of the pen. He’s done nothing since the beginning of ST to earn it. He beat out an injured Castro, and a rule 5 guy. 

Wright needs to get his head on straight and start tossing up zeroes fast in the pen. We lost three optionable RH bullpen arms in Liranzo, Chricton and Asher. Our depth is pretty thin in that department. 

It will be interesting to see if he survives the day. 

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Having the tools, or, in this case stuff doesn’t always translate on the field. Witness Felix Pie, a five tool player. 

It’s past time.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd be fine with dumping Wright if the alternative wasn't Tillman.

I tend to agree with both of these, but given the options, the Orioles have to give Tillman and Wright at least a few more opportunities.  But it is time....SOGOTP...which is something my grandmother used to say and isn't printable here, but it rhymes with....Spit or get off the pot.

8 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I tend to agree with both of these, but given the options, the Orioles have to give Tillman and Wright at least a few more opportunities.  But it is time....SOGOTP...which is something my grandmother used to say and isn't printable here, but it rhymes with....Spit or get off the pot.

It's been that for quite a while with Wright. The only thing going for him is that his strikeout rate in the majors is relatively high. Wright as a one inning reliever is worth a try before they cut him. I actually hate to say that because he frustrates me so much, but if he could avoid coughing up homers he might be a good one inning reliever. 

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

It's been that for quite a while with Wright. The only thing going for him is that his strikeout rate in the majors is relatively high. Wright as a one inning reliever is worth a try before they cut him. I actually hate to say that because he frustrates me so much, but if he could avoid coughing up homers he might be a good one inning reliever. 

Your post notes what every Oriole and every Major League team knows.  He has major league talent....even if he doesn't use it to success.  If he is exposed to waivers...he WILL be claimed.

None of that changes the fact that he is nearing the end of opportunities to succeed here.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

Your post notes what every Oriole and every Major League team knows.  He has major league talent....even if he doesn't use it to success.  If he is exposed to waivers...he WILL be claimed.

None of that changes the fact that he is nearing the end of opportunities to succeed here.

Of course I agree with your statements. Once I really looked at his numbers I was surprised that his SO rate was so high. I find watching him so frustrating that I think I underestimated the effectiveness of his "stuff". I think in his case the sum is so far below the highest parts that it's hard not to view him through dung colored glasses.  He is probably more talented than I give him credit. 

Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Of course I agree with your statements. Once I really looked at his numbers I was surprised that his SO rate was so high. I find watching him so frustrating that I think I underestimated the effectiveness of his "stuff". I think in his case the sum is so far below the highest parts that it's hard not to view him through dung colored glasses.  He is probably more talented than I give him credit. 

We just have to hope he can break through and I used the example of Brach yesterday as hoping he can find that success here.  If not as a starter, then from the pen.  His results are beyond frustrating and frankly his comments are almost always as frustrating.  His comments remind me of that guy who never did get out of his own way here....and found success and stardom with the Cubs.

27 minutes ago, survivedc said:

With an off day on Thursday and Cobb probably up for the Redsox series, is Wright available out of the pen for Toronto?

I thought Buck said Cobb would make one more start in Sarasota.

Archived