Ken Rosenthal’s Orioles article

eddie83

I'd really like to read the full article, but...

I'm skeptical, as always with anything Angelos related.  Back in 98/99 we embarked on the build the farm road and wound up being one of the worst teams of the 2000's.  Then the build the arms, buy the bats mantra got in there during the mid-2000's.  Yet the first major acquisition the club made was on Ubaldo, a pitcher, and we know how that turned out.  I just don't trust that the organization - the Angeloses - know how to run a baseball team.

Furthermore, it's interesting to me that the performance/ talent slide that has been occurring on the field (and the coaching staff) has coincided with Brady getting more responsibility.  For me, that is more evidence of a Captain - the Angeloses - having two navigators and uses either of them as the navigators' views match their own.  This causes the ship to zig and zag and miss it's port.

I think Brady will fail.  I think he's a charlatan as both a player and where he is now.  I don't trust him.  That goes back to the steroids for me.  I'd much rather have a bona fide GM.  If it's not DD, find another.  But this whole split duty thing where two views have to coincide with what ownership thinks at a given moment is proving unsuccessful.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Why would any of those guys leave being the #2 for successful organizations to be the #1 for a meddlesome owner who, for all intents and purposes, puts tons of roadblocks in the way for no apparent reason (i.e. international spending.). 

Among other things, the Rosenthal article suggests a changing of the guard in the Angelos family and perhaps a different attitude about certain things.   

13 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Brady will be a bad GM the same reason Buck is. 

He's can't separate his emotions/affinity for a player from objectively evaluating their talent.  It's the same reason that GM's who are also the coach rarely work in any sport.  Brady works out with these guys and develops relationships with them in the offseason, so it's the same kind of situation.  The GM needs to be separate from that and make cold, calculated decisions on removing and acquiring talent. 

This is the main concern i have with Brady. I think he's a student of the game and has a good eye for talent, but his desire to have relationships with players is concerning.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the main concern i have with Brady. I think he's a student of the game and has a good eye for talent, but his desire to have relationships with players is concerning.

It's why Tillman is still on this team, after all.

14 minutes ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Ken reported today on the full count video that John and Lou are more open to a hypothetically trade with the Yankees for Machado. He also states that a trade is more realistic than before. 

Now that the dreams of contention are dead?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now that the dreams of contention are dead?

1 hour ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Or the Yankees are .500 and 5.5 games out of first?

Lets make it happen.  I'll take Torres and a low level guy for Manny.  The iron is hot.

1 hour ago, Deadwood Fan said:

Ken reported today on the full count video that John and Lou are more open to a hypothetically trade with the Yankees for Machado. He also states that a trade is more realistic than before. 

I sure hope so. The sooner the better. 

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Among other things, the Rosenthal article suggests a changing of the guard in the Angelos family and perhaps a different attitude about certain things.   

I understand, but it's going to have to be one of those "believe it when we see it" things. 

Archived