Ken Rosenthal’s Orioles article

eddie83

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So we hear from some places that John Angelos is involved, and from some places that Lou is involved.   I wonder if there is a delineated division of power?

There hasn't been an announcement, but it would appear the transition to the sons' ownership is underway.

2 hours ago, theocean said:

Basically, Buck's voice isn't as powerful in the clubhouse as it was. There were a few players that really lost faith in Buck after the Britton-Wild-Card-Game debacle, but apparently those players are no longer with the team.

From the article, it seems like Buck is still very much respected - just not quite as much as he was in the past. The article then points out he might have a completely new team next year anyway.

Sorry but how do you know? Do you have info from some players? Or is this from your own imagination? 

14 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

John and Lou Angelos should just allow Dan to leave right now. Why keep the guy around when you clearly don't like him making decisions. That does not make any sense to me.

Because Dan is the leader of an organization that would be considerably disrupted if he left in the middle of a season?  Because, while he might be frustrated, he might not want to quit because quitters have a harder time getting their next job?  Especially if they're contract hires?  Because ML GM's are human beings, not used-up containers of laundry detergent and you have the obligation to treat them as such?

3 hours ago, scOtt said:

Thanks for the summary. My comments above in red.

Promising stuff. Thanks for sharing everyone. I want to like the sons because I deeply respect their politics. Let’s hope we see more invested in scouting and the international market.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

Because Dan is the leader of an organization that would be considerably disrupted if he left in the middle of a season?  Because, while he might be frustrated, he might not want to quit because quitters have a harder time getting their next job?  Especially if they're contract hires?  Because ML GM's are human beings, not used-up containers of laundry detergent and you have the obligation to treat them as such?

And, Dan is very good with the nuts and bolts of the small moves that go on in-season.  

5 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Promising stuff. Thanks for sharing everyone. I want to like the sons because I deeply respect their politics. Let’s hope we see more invested in scouting and the international market.

The George Steinbrenner to Hal Steinbrenner transition in NY went very well.   Maybe ours could too.

I guess the major international signing period is in June-ish?   So maybe we could get an idea then if the rubber is really meeting the road at that point?

27 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

The experience of attending college can be instrumental in creating the kind of careful critical thinking, including evaluating input from others, that is important  to success as a GM. That said, I don;'t care at all that Brady didn't graduate from college. I do care that he (a) hasn't worked his way up through the front office in a way that would test him and give him experience in all the areas that a GM is responsible for and (b) apparently has a close relationship with some of the players whose Oriole futures he would be deciding as GM. 

As to (a), what experience do you think Brady doesn’t have that other newly-minted GM’s normally have?   I’d guess that most of them have not worked in every facet of the front office’s operations.    Just to pick one, Mike Rizzo was a scout and scouting director, then became Asst. GM for 2.5 years before getting promoted to GM.  Who knows what Rizzo did as Asst. GM, and why should we assume his experience was broader than what Brady has been doing as our Asst. GM?

Archived