Ken Rosenthal’s Orioles article

eddie83

45 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They may ask Dan to take on a lesser role.  Sounds to me Buck will be back in some capacity.  

I can't see Dan doing that. I want Buck as manager. I believe he really is the oil that makes this team run (when it runs...)

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

-Buck  Not as strong clubhouse as he was but will basically have a new team and some players from old teams already left. 

I don't understand this statement.   I think Buck is as strong in the clubhouse as he ever has been.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't understand this statement.   I think Buck is as strong in the clubhouse as he ever has been.

Basically, Buck's voice isn't as powerful in the clubhouse as it was. There were a few players that really lost faith in Buck after the Britton-Wild-Card-Game debacle, but apparently those players are no longer with the team.

From the article, it seems like Buck is still very much respected - just not quite as much as he was in the past. The article then points out he might have a completely new team next year anyway.

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

They may ask Dan to take on a lesser role.  Sounds to me Buck will be back in some capacity.  

Seems like Buck will be back. DD likely leaves for a role with another team where he'll have more influence. Who wants to work at a place where you have less and less influence every season?

19 minutes ago, theocean said:

Basically, Buck's voice isn't as powerful in the clubhouse as it was. There were a few players that really lost faith in Buck after the Britton-Wild-Card-Game debacle, but apparently those players are no longer with the team.

From the article, it seems like Buck is still very much respected - just not quite as much as he was in the past. The article then points out he might have a completely new team next year anyway.

That is an interesting little tid bit. Almost reminds me of what has happened with the Seahawks and the Rusell Wilson Super Bowl INT.

I haven't spent much time reflecting on it, but not putting Britton in that game was a really bad look. It's not surprising that there are some lingering bad feels after that moment. Buck didn't exactly own up to it either. He didn't dodge it, but I don't remember him acknowledging it as a sizable mistake. 

Also, I wonder what critical players from that time are gone? We have mostly the same players.. Was Ubaldo critical about being put in the game? lol 

36 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Does Brady have a degree? Not that it matters, he is learning the FO job on the job. Apprenticeship as it were...

I did some digging a few months ago and couldn't find anything that said he went back to earn his degree. For context, he left the University of California, Irvine after his junior season and was planning to major in economics. 

Just now, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

That is an interesting little tid bit. Almost reminds me of what has happened with the Seahawks and the Rusell Wilson Super Bowl INT.

I haven't spent much time reflecting on it, but not putting Britton in that game was a really bad look. I wouldn't be surprised if there are some lingering bad feels after that moment. Buck didn't exactly own up to it either. He didn't dodge it, but I don't remember him acknowledging it as a sizable mistake. 

Also, I wonder what critical players from that time are gone? We have mostly the same players.. Was Ubaldo critical about being put in the game? lol 

The bit about "those players are no longer on the team" confused me a bit. I looked back - the only major players that aren't on the team now that were in 2016 are: Wieters, Hardy, Pearce, Kim, Reimold, and Flaherty.

Buck is always singing the praises of Wieters and Hardy - so seems kind of strange.

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I did some digging a few months ago and couldn't find anything that said he went back to earn his degree. For context, he left the University of California, Irvine after his junior season and was planning to major in economics. 

College degree doesnt mean crap these days about  a person's worth, for the most part.

Too many colleges are pushing out kids with no knowledge or common sense, but they got a stupid piece of paper.

Some of my peers, their college days was getting drunk/stoned or both, and cutting class, and still manage to graduate and that was many decades ago, I can rather image that its even worse now.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

The bit about "those players are no longer on the team" confused me a bit. I looked back - the only major players that aren't on the team now that were in 2016 are: Wieters, Hardy, Pearce, Kim, Reimold, and Flaherty.

Buck is always singing the praises of Wieters and Hardy - so seems kind of strange.

Consider the source of the article. Ken is not unbias with his opinion of the team.

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

The experience of attending college can be instrumental in creating the kind of careful critical thinking, including evaluating input from others, that is important  to success as a GM. That said, I don;'t care at all that Brady didn't graduate from college. I do care that he (a) hasn't worked his way up through the front office in a way that would test him and give him experience in all the areas that a GM is responsible for and (b) apparently has a close relationship with some of the players whose Oriole futures he would be deciding as GM. 

My guess is Buck is back next year as manager. 

My guess is they hire a “Buck” friendly GM to work in concert with Brady. 

To me the info about Peter was significant. All I have ever heard is how much he loves his law office. If he isn’t going into work everyday there that is saying something.

We had heard talk that his sons pushed to sign Cobb, that was not in the article but goes hand in hand with everything we are hearing.  

The article also mentioned the kids cheer program and that being further evidence that the sons are running the show. 

Archived