Ken Rosenthal’s Orioles article

eddie83

4 hours ago, theocean said:

The bit about "those players are no longer on the team" confused me a bit. I looked back - the only major players that aren't on the team now that were in 2016 are: Wieters, Hardy, Pearce, Kim, Reimold, and Flaherty.

Buck is always singing the praises of Wieters and Hardy - so seems kind of strange.

Well, Wieters and Pearce were gone after that game.

The player he could be referring to that makes sense is Hardy, unless it was Ubaldo who lost trust in Buck when he was brought in instead of Britton.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/13/2018 at 12:32 PM, eddie83 said:

Ok. Thanks. I will summarize. 

-Sons are basically running the team. and quickening up decision making. Peter has not even been around regularly at his law office since start of year. 

-Brady is tight with Lou and has more responsibilities. Ran pitcher free agent acquisitions. Dan is losing power and is frustrated.

-Buck wants to stay. Most think manager but perhaps FO. Not as strong clubhouse as he was but will basically have a new team and some players from old teams already left. 

-Some people think sons will increase farm efforts, draft, etc. Peter never trusted anyone to run International side. 

Thanks for sharing

23 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

College degree doesnt mean crap these days about  a person's worth, for the most part.

Too many colleges are pushing out kids with no knowledge or common sense, but they got a stupid piece of paper.

Some of my peers, their college days was getting drunk/stoned or both, and cutting class, and still manage to graduate and that was many decades ago, I can rather image that its even worse now.

Most of the GMs in baseball have degrees from top schools.   I doubt they ditched all their classes to get high.   But I do agree a college degree is much easier than it used to be.   

22 hours ago, SteveA said:

So we hear from some places that John Angelos is involved, and from some places that Lou is involved.   I wonder if there is a delineated division of power?

There hasn't been an announcement, but it would appear the transition to the sons' ownership is underway.

John has always been involved on the business end.  He and Duquette share the same title- Duquette focuses on baseball ops as the de facto GM, while John handles the business side.  This is the reason I think Duquette wanted to leave for Toronto a few years ago- they were offering him the chance to handle both.  Duquette, with his prior work in Boston and his work here, is clearly due for a position like that, and I hope he can get it, whether or not it's with the Orioles is up for debate.  

What I found this off-season was mentions that Lou was getting involved on the player side.  That is the wild card here, and what has changed from previous years.  

20 hours ago, TheWall said:

I like what we've heard about the sons, but I'm concerned about their ability to continue spending at a high level once Peter goes. Things could get considerably more strained from a financial perspective. 

I'll take a lesser payroll if that means we are truly investing in more development and scouting resources.  Peter Angelos has usually spent for us to have a top 10-12 payroll, but that's money being spent on role and bench players at times who are normally the ones developed in a farm system.  Just think of a decade ago, how many bullpen arms did we sign because we couldn't ever develop pitchers in-house?  Fix that, spend less money on those kind of players, and you can be more active in FA even with a payroll that gets cut.  

9 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think the biggest thing this organization can do right now is terminate Duquette and install Brady as the new Director of Baseball Operations. It would give the organization clarity going forward and let Brady get a jump start on building his management team, with or without Buck.

That ' is exactly what I don't want. Brady will be a disaster. 

On 4/13/2018 at 12:32 PM, eddie83 said:

Ok. Thanks. I will summarize. 

-Sons are basically running the team. and quickening up decision making. Peter has not even been around regularly at his law office since start of year. 

-Brady is tight with Lou and has more responsibilities. Ran pitcher free agent acquisitions. Dan is losing power and is frustrated.

-Buck wants to stay. Most think manager but perhaps FO. Not as strong clubhouse as he was but will basically have a new team and some players from old teams already left. 

-Some people think sons will increase farm efforts, draft, etc. Peter never trusted anyone to run International side. 

All of those tidbits seem encouraging except Brady being the top executive in the FO. Why can't this team bring in a bright, young executive from a winning organization for once?

34 minutes ago, TINSTAAPP said:

All of those tidbits seem encouraging except Brady being the top executive in the FO. Why can't this team bring in a bright, young executive from a winning organization for once?

I do not think it is set in stone that Brady is the next GM. I do think he has a very strong voice in the organization and has significant power. 

48 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd give Brady enough rope to hang himself.  I don't have confidence that he'd be a great GM but there's also not a lot of empirical data to prove that.

6 inches ought to do it.  Give him 12 if it's on sale.

5 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

Why would any of those guys leave being the #2 for successful organizations to be the #1 for a meddlesome owner who, for all intents and purposes, puts tons of roadblocks in the way for no apparent reason (i.e. international spending.). 

In the end, it also may not work out for turning the job down.  Remember Tony La Cava turning us down in 2011 to stay with the Jays?   He's never moved beyond assistant GM there, except for a month of being the interim GM while Mark Shapiro was hired over La Cava and ended up not promoting them.

I bet La Cava regrets not taking the offer in 2011 on some level, and on some levels he might be fine with it.  However, there are only 30 of these jobs available in baseball and if you pass on it once, there is no guarantee they will come knocking again.  

Brady will be a bad GM the same reason Buck is. 

He's can't separate his emotions/affinity for a player from objectively evaluating their talent.  It's the same reason that GM's who are also the coach rarely work in any sport.  Brady works out with these guys and develops relationships with them in the offseason, so it's the same kind of situation.  The GM needs to be separate from that and make cold, calculated decisions on removing and acquiring talent. 

Archived