Orioles on pace to shatter MLB team strikeout record

amdcpus

Brewers set the record last year with 1571 strikeouts as a team. Orioles have 177 Ks through 16 games, which is slightly over 11 strikeouts per game. At this rate, they will strikeout 1792 times, shattering the old record by more than 200 strikeouts.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Brewers set the record last year with 1571 strikeouts as a team. Orioles have 177 Ks through 16 games, which is slightly over 11 strikeouts per game. At this rate, they will strikeout 1792 times, shattering the old record by more than 200 strikeouts.

Great!   If our record is similar to the Brewer team that set that record last year, that will be fantastic.

28 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just don’t care about this. I care how many runs they score. 

I mostly agree.    I don’t have a strikeout fetish.    But they aren’t scoring runs either, and the increased strikeouts are part of the reason why.  

47 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

The Brewers set the record last year, with 1,571. The Orioles have 177 K's through 16 games, which is slightly over 11 strikeouts per game. At this rate, they will strikeout 1,792 times, shattering the old record by more than 200 strikeouts.

27 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Great !!! If our record is similar to that Brewers team that set that record last year, that will be fantastic.

o

In 1986, when Bert Blyleven surpassed Robin Roberts' single-season record of ceding home runs, Blyleven was asked about it. He said, "Robin Roberts is in the Hall-of-Fame. If I ever get there someday, then I will gladly be historically linked to Robin Roberts."

o

I'm not necessarily anti-strikeout, but the fact is that more strikeouts = less balls put in play.  Less balls put in play = less action for a sport that is already perceived by many as being "boring".  The 3-outcome and fly-ball revolutions may help increase HR totals but there is a certain enjoyment in seeing speed and athleticism play out on the baseball field that is lacking in today's game.  But outside of pushing all the fences back I'm not sure how to fix that.

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not necessarily anti-strikeout, but the fact is that more strikeouts = less balls put in play.  Less balls put in play = less action for a sport that is already perceived by many as being "boring". 

Strikeouts are fascist.

21 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I'm not necessarily anti-strikeout, but the fact is that more strikeouts = less balls put in play.  Less balls put in play = less action for a sport that is already perceived by many as being "boring".  The 3-outcome and fly-ball revolutions may help increase HR totals but there is a certain enjoyment in seeing speed and athleticism play out on the baseball field that is lacking in today's game.  But outside of pushing all the fences back I'm not sure how to fix that.

Baseball was more fun to watch pre-steroids era.  The all or nothing approach to offense has taken a lot of fun out of the game.  

Archived