Ryan McKenna 2018

Luke-OH

6 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Bowie-bound soon? Impressive looking prospect from the great state of NH!

He's one of the youngest players on the Keys, I'd imagine if he get's a promotion, it wouldn't be until midseason. Perhaps paired with Mullins to Norfolk, but they aren't going to rush him, he'll have to force it, he's young enough that he could spend the whole season in Frederick and be prospect-aged for AA in 2019.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

He's one of the youngest players on the Keys, I'd imagine if he get's a promotion, it wouldn't be until midseason. Perhaps paired with Mullins to Norfolk, but they aren't going to rush him, he'll have to force it, he's young enough that he could spend the whole season in Frederick and be prospect-aged for AA in 2019.

Has he really looked that good in Frederick? What about Gassaway

4 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Has he really looked that good in Frederick? What about Gassaway

Yeah, he's been really good so far. >10% BB rate <15% K rate, at least grade 70 speed, projects to at least average defensively in CF, probably better with polish. His approach and discipline looks improved, which is the big question mark with him. It could be a hot streak where he's seeing the ball well, but he's improved his profile either way by showing better speed, better CF routes, and a better arm than I saw last year.

It's not even a comparison between him and Gassaway as far as prospect status. Gassaway is either a below average LF (I wouldn't play him there) or a 1B/DH. He can hit a bit, but not nearly enough to profile at 1B/DH IMO.

As far as promotions go, like I said in the post you quoted, he'd really have to force a promotion. Billingsley is probably the guy I'd promote early, he's almost 24, he's polished both as a defender and at the plate. Only 5th outfield tools, but a good ball player.

8 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, he's been really good so far. >10% BB rate <15% K rate, at least grade 70 speed, projects to at least average defensively in CF, probably better with polish. His approach and discipline looks improved, which is the big question mark with him. It could be a hot streak where he's seeing the ball well, but he's improved his profile either way by showing better speed, better CF routes, and a better arm than I saw last year.

It's not even a comparison between him and Gassaway as far as prospect status. Gassaway is either a below average LF (I wouldn't play him there) or a 1B/DH. He can hit a bit, but not nearly enough to profile at 1B/DH IMO.

As far as promotions go, like I said in the post you quoted, he'd really have to force a promotion. Billingsley is probably the guy I'd promote early, he's almost 24, he's polished both as a defender and at the plate. Only 5th outfield tools, but a good ball player.

Ah, thank you. I know others have said this, but he sounds like a rawer Cedric Mullins. If McKena stays hot like this and gets better at OF, down the road do you think with Hays, Stewart, Mullins and Santander where he plays? 

29 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Ah, thank you. I know others have said this, but he sounds like a rawer Cedric Mullins. If McKena stays hot like this and gets better at OF, down the road do you think with Hays, Stewart, Mullins and Santander where he plays? 

There are some similarities, but they have very different swings.

I think McKenna has the highest upside as a defender, but he's definitely not there yet (and may never get there). Mullins has a really good first step and controls his body so well. I wouldn't worry about who plays where, some of these guys just won't make it, depth is good.

11 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

There are some similarities, but they have very different swings.

I think McKenna has the highest upside as a defender, but he's definitely not there yet. Mullins has a really good first step and controls his body so well. I wouldn't worry about who plays where, some of these guys just won't make it, depth is good.

Good point. 

10 hours ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

In his last 10 games, McKenna has taken 10 walks and struck out just 5 times, almost the inverse of the first 12 games of the season, striking out 11 times and walking just twice. Could simply be different set of pitchers and a small sample size. 

Current slash, .341/.429/.876

He’s batting 3rd now. Not bad for a guy we thought was just a speedster. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

So what was the adjustment he made in going up levels with the bat? 

He made a swing adjustment around midseason last year (he was .800+ OPS in the second half), then has tweaked it again this season. He's holding his hands lower and is more direct to the ball, allowing him to foul off tough pitches rather than swing through them. There also appears to be an improvement in his batting eye and zone judgement, both of which could just be a result of letting the ball travel further (due to the more direct bat path). Also he has posted faster home to first times and his arm looks stronger, so perhaps he was dealing with some undisclosed nagging injuries last season.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

He made a swing adjustment around midseason last year (he was .800+ OPS in the second half), then has tweaked it again this season. He's holding his hands lower and is more direct to the ball, allowing him to foul off tough pitches rather than swing through them. There also appears to be an improvement in his batting eye and zone judgement, both of which could just be a result of letting the ball travel further (due to the more direct bat path). Also he has posted faster home to first times and his arm looks stronger, so perhaps he was dealing with some undisclosed nagging injuries last season.

PED’s

3 for 3 today plus a HBP.  His OPB is now .435!  It must get frustrating to pitch against him - sounds like even when he does make outs, it takes a lot of pitches.  He's destroying lefties this year - with a 1.191 OPS.  One negative - after stealing 20 of 22 last season, he's 4 of 8 this season - not that he was ever going to be a big base-stealer in the majors anyway.  It's probably more important that Luke pointed out that he posted faster home to first times.          

Archived