Roch: Dan Duquette - Cavalry is not coming.

weams

“I don’t think the cavalry is coming to rescue us. We may be able to add some players from Triple-A that could help us. That’s always a possibility. But we’ve got a number of established big leaguers that could certainly help us.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/04/duquette-says-its-a-little-early-to-talk-about-tearing-down-team.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think he meant Rickard? Rickard > Gentry's .425 OPS. Who else? I don't think he was talking about a pitcher. DJ Stewart is off to a slow start. The 3B are not wizards with the glove, right? The AAA remark was interesting...and a little confusing. 

18 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Think he meant Rickard? Rickard > Gentry's .425 OPS. Who else? I don't think he was talking about a pitcher. DJ Stewart is off to a slow start. The 3B are not wizards with the glove, right? The AAA remark was interesting...and a little confusing. 

Presley is doing well as is Tim Melville.

3 minutes ago, weams said:

Reuben Tejada, Andrew Susac.

Susac is on the DL. And I don't think they would replace Caleb or Chance with Susac right now even if he was healthy. Maybe later in the season, but not this early (I think). I don't think they will bring up an infielder after acquiring Peterson. 

o

The Orioles have 4 legitimate starting pitchers. I am confident that Cobb will continue to come around (after his first start of the season which was horrendous, his next 2 starts were each slightly better than were the previous ones.)

I don't think that they need a cavalry so much as they need to start putting complete games together behind those starters. It doesn't have to be as dominant as last night's 6-0 win, but the offense and the bullpen need to do a reasonably good job on more of a regular basis than they have been doing. 

As I asserted in another thread, I actually think that this team can go .500 or better for the rest of the season, largely because of the additions of Cobb and Cashner. Unfortunately, even going 10 games above .500 the rest of the way (73-63) won't even get them a winning season overall. That's what digging such a huge hole early in the season can do to a team, as the Blue Jays experienced last year when they went 10-20 in their first 30 games of that season.

o

12 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Susac is on the DL. And I don't think they would replace Caleb or Chance with Susac right now even if he was healthy. Maybe later in the season, but not this early (I think). I don't think they will bring up an infielder after acquiring Peterson. 

He is on the DL now. I did not think that he meant immediately on this. I thought he meant in the context of Pre-Memorial Day. 

3 minutes ago, weams said:

He is on the DL now. I did not think that he meant immediately on this. I thought he meant in the context of Pre-Memorial Day. 

I was thinking the next two weeks or so. I haven't heard any details about Susac's injury other than it was his ankle. Not sure when he will be back. I still think they will give Caleb a long leash. I can't imagine they would replace Chance with Susac. He's holding his own. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

“I don’t think the cavalry is coming to rescue us. We may be able to add some players from Triple-A that could help us. That’s always a possibility. But we’ve got a number of established big leaguers that could certainly help us.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/04/duquette-says-its-a-little-early-to-talk-about-tearing-down-team.html

I forgot about DD's so called cavalry. 

Archived