You are the Assistant GM: Part II (Trade Manny)

Tony-OH

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The Orioles don't need to hold Manny until the deadline. They are so bad that they are all but eliminated from the playoff race now. Also they have no intention of giving Machado $330 million over ten years. 

Most think that Manny will be sent with another player such as Guasman for the best return.

I think this makes a ton of sense.  I was thinking Givens could be a great addition to a Manny deal as well.  

1 hour ago, clapdiddy said:

I think this makes a ton of sense.  I was thinking Givens could be a great addition to a Manny deal as well.  

Any would if they are pitching well. Givens unfortunately isn’t at this point.

If the decision-makers are smart they go to total rebuild. Everyone on the roster is available except Sisco who if retirn to the minors for now to limit his service time.

Id move the pieces I can move and then convince Adam , Trumbo, and Cobb (if he has one) to waive the NTC so that they can be dealt.  

19 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

The Dodgers are in 4th place, 7 games out. They aren't going to make a move for Manny unless they get back into the race. He alone will not do it for them. They need to play better.

Getting a star player like Manny could absolutely jump start them. You get him to get back into the race!

It makes me laugh out loud when I hear it proclaimed that the Dodgers and MFY will not pursue a deal because they are committed to staying beneath the luxury tax level. Neither team is going to permit @ $20MM over three years prevent them from doing all they can to win a World Series this year. Doing so would be "penny-wise and pound foolish." Even if they would like to reset by trading Kemp or another high salary player in a trade for a player with salary comparable to Machado's, not being able to do so will not preclude them from acquiring players they think will help them won NOW. Despite the media echo chamber claiming that staying below that luxury tax is of paramount importance -- and fans parroting this opinion as if it were gospel -- The Dodgers disagree with all of them and openly say they are all wrong.

“We have never said that (we won't exceed the luxury tax threshold),” said team president Stan Kasten. “We’re committed to having the best team we can have. I didn’t talk about it when [our payroll] was high or when it was low and I won’t talk about it next year.”

Don't trick yourself into thinking MFY is so committed to resetting the tax that they'd pass up chasing a World Championship because of a few extra million paid to MLB. It's worth every penny to those organizations. Heck, it just about is a matter of pennies to those billion-dollar corporations.

1 minute ago, Beef Supreme said:

It makes me laugh out loud when I hear it proclaimed that the Dodgers and MFY will not pursue a deal because they are committed to staying beneath the luxury tax level. Neither team is going to permit @ $20MM over three years prevent them from doing all they can to win a World Series this year. Doing so would be "penny-wise and pound foolish." Even if they would like to reset by trading Kemp or another high salary player in a trade for a player with salary comparable to Machado's, not being able to do so will not preclude them from acquiring players they think will help them won NOW. Despite the media echo chamber claiming that staying below that luxury tax is of paramount importance -- and fans parroting this opinion as if it were gospel -- The Dodgers disagree with all of them and openly say they are all wrong.

Don't trick yourself into thinking MFY is so committed to resetting the tax that they'd pass up chasing a World Championship because of a few extra million paid to MLB. It's worth every penny to those organizations. Heck, it just about is a matter of pennies to those billion-dollar corporations.

We will see.

I expect both of them to be under the threshold for next season.

1 hour ago, Beef Supreme said:

Don't trick yourself into thinking that the MFY's are so committed to resetting the tax that they'd pass up chasing a World Championship because of a few extra million paid to MLB. It's worth every penny to those organizations. Heck, it just about is a matter of pennies to those billion-dollar corporations.

o

I agree completely, and I have stated so several times before.

The Yankees may or may not be under the luxury next year and/or the year after that, but it won't be the deciding/major factor in which players they decide to pursue. At worst, it will be a mild-to-moderate inconvenience if they happen to go over it whilst acquiring players whom they feel could be essential to their pursuit of a championship(s.)

For mid-market teams like the Orioles,  a bad long-term contract (such as the one in which Chris Davis currently plays under) looms over their heads, like a tormenting black cloud reminding them of their failed investment. Perennial cash-cows like the Yankees have easily endured numerous bad (and/or at least underperforming) high-salary contracts without missing a beat ........ they have simply eaten the loss(es) in one form or another, and moved on in a similar fashion to a person swatting a pesky fly away from themselves.

o

2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

I wonder what a Manny/Gausman package could fetch?

Hasn't Colorado been asking for Gausman in any trade conversation for years? Their offense--despite playing in Coors--could use a boost. Would be interesting seeing Machado and Gausman go there, but would they move on from Story or could he move to 1B or OF in place of someone else? Just thinking out loud, but with McMahon's struggles in limited Major League action, could a Machado/Gausman package yield both Rodgers and McMahon plus others?

15 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Hasn't Colorado been asking for Gausman in any trade conversation for years? Their offense--despite playing in Coors--could use a boost. Would be interesting seeing Machado and Gausman go there, but would they move on from Story or could he move to 1B or OF in place of someone else? Just thinking out loud, but with McMahon's struggles in limited Major League action, could a Machado/Gausman package yield both Rodgers and McMahon plus others?

Interesting idea.  I wonder if the Orioles could swing Machado, Gausman, and maybe someone like Brach for Rodgers, Story, and Pint (been intrigued by him since reading Passan's The Arm).  Would the Rockies bite? The Orioles?

That said, the Orioles are probably not creative enough to make a move like that.

Cubs 

Perhaps just as important, Cubs ownership seems to be on board with the front office getting aggressive, especially in a competitive window of opportunity that might have less than four years left.

RELATED STORIES
Sick and mired: Cubs put struggling Yu Darvish on 10-day DL with flu
Metrics show Tyler Chatwood not pitching as well as numbers might indicate

When asked how aggressive ownership should be in such a pursuit, Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts suggested the family will be as aggressive as president Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer want to be.

Almora sounds like he is pushing hard.

Sounds like ownership is on board 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/how-willing-is-cubs-ownership-to-back-aggressive-play-for-manny-machado/

Archived