Connolly: Heads may roll today

wildcard

36 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

I don't even want the team to improve this year at this point. They're going to be bad, so be all the way bad. Shop everyone who isn't nailed down. Play people out of position all season. I don't care. It will be pure comedy plus a better draft pick. What fun is a 70 win team? A 50 win team is way more fun.

50 wins?  Is an in prime Barry Bonds joining us. I don’t know how we’ve won 8 games. Haha

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Anyways, back on track. I think people here are giving too much "blame/credit" to Brady and not nearly enough to Duquette. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is 100% on Duquette. You can see my other thread responses on it. But I think the majority is on him.

He mortgaged the future for the now and now the chickens are coming home to roost. 

The reality is that we just do not know who is accountable for this mess because the organization's decision-making is poorly structured. 

31 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Hays, Stewart, Mullins and Mountcastle.

Mountcastle is about as 1 dimensional as they come. He's got DH written all over him. 

Mullins I'm bearish on. I like the defense and the speed. I do question whether he'd hit enough be a full time OFer. 

I like Hays.

Stewart I'm not sold at all on.

And there-in lies the rub. Teams like the Yankees have so much youth all over the place. And yes, they can actually participate internationally more-so than Duquette. That's my biggest rub w/ Angelos.

Anyways, back on track. I think people here are giving too much "blame/credit" to Brady and not nearly enough to Duquette. I'm not going to sit here and say that this is 100% on Duquette. You can see my other thread responses on it. But I think the majority is on him.

He mortgaged the future for the now and now the chickens are coming home to roost. 

I'm giving blame to the person who most of us suspect has been making the majority of the decisions these last few years, and that's Brady. And it's much more blame then credit. I don't think Duquette has had the power to make bad decisions these last few years. And I really don't see a single example how Duquette has mortgaged the future. He inherited a terrible minor league system and it's not great, but it's gotten better under his tender. Short term it's produced Mancini and Sisco and if he hadn't gotten injured I think Harvey would have been in the starting rotation by now. And technically Bundy also developed under his watch. I haven't read your other thread, but I'm hoping it's based more on facts then your replies in this one. 

While I don't like the idea of Brady in charge, I think that's what we all expect. To me, if DD isn't going to be back next year and we already know Brady's going to have the role, then doesn't just make sense to fire DD and let Brady control the deadline trading?

Personally, I'd look to move way from DD and Brady and to someone completely new and I'd want them in ASAP to do the teardown. I don't want anyone with any part of assembling this team to tear it down because I don't want anyone with bias based on previous acquisitions to bring players in deciding their fate going out.

This shouldn't have made the Dan haters happy: 

"All that considered, Duquette’s not the culprit, either. He is an architect of this roster – but not the architect. The Orioles’ plan is blueprint-by-committee, with Duquette, Showalter, vice president Brady Anderson, majority owner Peter Angelos, his sons, John and Lou, and, likely countless others, all weighing in.

Anderson and the Angelos Boys took the lead this winter. Peter Angelos was instrumental in the 2016 landmark contract for Chris Davis. There’s also an organizational philosophy in place not to spend much on international amateurs, which contradicts Duquette’s talent procurement style at other stops.

The point is Duquette’s fingerprints are on parts of this roster, but his hands are tied on others. And that surely is recognized by the powerbrokers.

So, if a head must be lopped today or tomorrow, it."

26 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

So let's see, you're going to blame Brady and Angelos for this offseason. But what about 2017? 

Yeah Brady re signed Trumbo in 2017 offseason. DD moved on from Markakis and Cruz. Why would he decide Trumbo was the guy to keep?

We’re doomed. It’s not like DD is going to be given power back. What GM would want this job?  We have Buck. Even Buck can’t squeeze wins out of this mess. 

6 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Great post.   As much as I love what Buck has done for this franchise, I think it's just time to clean house and start fresh.  I don't think Brady is the answer, either.    I'd rather pull a younger guy from a successful organization like the Cubs, Dodgers, Cardinals, etc.    We need a complete change of direction.

It won't matter who they bring in to run this organization, if they continue to not allow them to do their job. And that won't happen as long as Brady Anderson is with the team.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Yeah Brady re signed Trumbo in 2017 offseason. DD moved on from Markakis and Cruz. Why would he decide Trumbo was the guy to keep?

We’re doomed. It’s not like DD is going to be given power back. What GM would want this job?  We have Buck. Even Buck can’t squeeze wins out of this mess. 

If Dan had brought Trumbo back it would have been on a 1/8 deal at the end of spring training.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm giving blame to the person who most of us suspect has been making the majority of the decisions these last few years, and that's Brady. And it's much more blame then credit. I don't think Duquette has had the power to make bad decisions these last few years. And I really don't see a single example how Duquette has mortgaged the future. He inherited a terrible minor league system and it's not great, but it's gotten better under his tender. Short term it's produced Mancini and Sisco and if he hadn't gotten injured I think Harvey would have been in the starting rotation by now. And technically Bundy also developed under his watch. I haven't read your other thread, but I'm hoping it's based more on facts then your replies in this one. 

Hader for Bud Norris? Zach Davies for Parra? Delmonico for K-Rod? It appears to me that DD has been given a certain group of players that he can't trade (Bundy, Gausman, Sisco, Harvey, probably Mountcastle), but anybody second tier or lower he has moved for incremental short term improvements whenever he's had the chance.

22 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People keep saying that Brady resigned Trumbo. I'm not entirely sure that's how it worked. Did Brady want Trumbo resigned? Probably. Did Duquette? Probably. Duquette is the one that targeted him and traded for him.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd like to see what metrics or even how you're saying that Duquette inherited a terrible minor league system...and then go on to say that it's gotten better under his tender. 

Yes, it's produced Sisco. But I'm not so sure you should be heralding his "contributions" at the major league level this season to the tune of a 604 OPS. 26 strikeouts in 67 plate appearances. 40% strikeout rate, no power and honestly....no batting average. Most likely rushed.

Mancini, yes, I'll give him that. But other than that? Come on, man.

And nobody here has given any proof that Brady has been making the majority of these "bad decisions" these last few years. I just don't buy it. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'd like to see what metrics or even how you're saying that Duquette inherited a terrible minor league system...and then go on to say that it's gotten better under his tender. 

Yes, it's produced Sisco. But I'm not so sure you should be heralding his "contributions" at the major league level this season to the tune of a 604 OPS. 26 strikeouts in 67 plate appearances. 40% strikeout rate, no power and honestly....no batting average. Most likely rushed.

Mancini, yes, I'll give him that. But other than that? Come on, man.

So you're judging Sisco on a one month sample size? Yeah, that seems perfectly fair (eye roll). 

Archived