Tillman starting Thursday

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean.....that's gotta be it for Tillman.  Right? 

I don't see any fathomable way he takes the mound again as an Oriole starter.  It's just cruel to him, cruel to the team, and most cruel to the fans. 

It doesn't matter who they call up.  I'm quite confident a random arm in A ball could perform better. 

21 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't see any fathomable way he takes the mound again as an Oriole starter.  It's just cruel to him, cruel to the team, and most cruel to the fans. 

It doesn't matter who they call up.  I'm quite confident a random arm in A ball could perform better. 

Spot on.  Nobody wants to pay to see a guy pitch a game where the team is essentially out of it before they even have a chance to bat (tonight notwithstanding, of course...but the question remains why not make Castro a starting pitcher if he's going to have to pitch 4+ innings in relief to bail out Tilly anyway?).  

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’ll give you another reason: there are incentives in his contract that start kicking in at 125 innings.   He’s in no danger of reaching that number in the next couple of months, but conceivably could get there by September if we keep throwing him out there.  

It's going to take him 125 starts to get to 125 innings.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Listening to Buck tonight after the game I would be very surprised if Chris is on the active roster tomorrow.  Whether he is DFA'd or he comes up with an injury I think that was the end.  It has to be done, though I get no glee on the way it looks like it will end.  Chris Tillman has been a very good Oriole.

11 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Listening to Buck tonight after the game I would be very surprised if Chris is on the active roster tomorrow.  Whether he is DFA'd or he comes up with an injury I think that was the end.  It has to be done, though I get no glee on the way it looks like it will end.  Chris Tillman has been a very good Oriole.

Agreed.  But he will be remembered for this dreadful end as much as his good years thanks to Buck's blind faith.  

I can't remember a position player or pitcher as long I have been watching baseball that came to such a drawn out end.  We've seen guys who are finished, but typically they don't make it past half a season.  We've had to watch 1.25 seasons of this version of Tillman.  I'll never forgot it.  

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

Agreed.  But he will be remembered for this dreadful end as much as his good years thanks to Buck's blind faith.  

I can't remember a position player or pitcher as long I have been watching baseball that came to such a drawn out end.  We've seen guys who are finished, but typically they don't make it past half a season.  We've had to watch 1.25 seasons of this version of Tillman.  I'll never forgot it.  

I may have spoken to soon though.  Davis is following a similar path, but I don't think he was quite as bad as Tillman last year from a WAR stand point.  

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Maybe Dan refuses to DFA him to showcase Brady's mistake.

Interesting theory.  I actually like it!  I totally support giving Tillman at least six more starts if that notion gains some credibility in the process,  Gives a whole new meaning to "taking one for the team."

12 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I may have spoken to soon though.  Davis is following a similar path, but I don't think he was quite as bad as Tillman last year from a WAR stand point.  

CD's contract is why he is still around for now.  No one put a gun to the Orioles head forcing them to pay Tillman $3M this year.  Tillman was deserving of a minor league contract at best to prove himself.  

23 minutes ago, fansince71 said:

Why on earth would we DFA him when we're in tank mode? 

You DFA him because you have a couple of Fringe prospect starters in AAA who you can give MLB trials to see if they can be pieces in the future. You can give them a much better assessment than in spring training next year.

Archived