Chicago Sun: Cubs interested in Manny

Tony-OH

I think Manny ends up in Cleveland.  Their window to win is closing and Kipnis has been terrible.  They can move Ramirez to 2B and Manny can play 3B.  A deal centered around Tristan McKenzie and including several high upside lower level guys makes sense.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Go_Os said:

I think Manny ends up in Cleveland.  Their window to win is closing and Kipnis has been terrible.  They can move Ramirez to 2B and Manny can play 3B.  A deal centered around Triston McKenzie and including several high upside lower level guys makes sense.

McKenzie still have that elbow issue?

On 5/18/2018 at 4:07 PM, maybenxtyr said:

Listening to DD on XM yesterday makes me think they will not be trading Manny. I know he can only say so much, and he is limited in what he can do, but it's the feeling I got.

I do not think these are the tea leaves to read. 

14 minutes ago, Go_Os said:

I think Manny ends up in Cleveland.  Their window to win is closing and Kipnis has been terrible.  They can move Ramirez to 2B and Manny can play 3B.  A deal centered around Tristan McKenzie and including several high upside lower level guys makes sense.

Manny is not playing third for anyone. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He certainly won't refuse in his walk year.

Nor will he switch. And with his offensive stats after a trade? He'll play where he wants to . Just like he did for the Os. 

6 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I hope they pick any team except the Cubs to trade him to....even the Yankees.   The Cubs have zilch in the way of prospects and I don't want their failed major leaguers. 

Addison Russell accrued 7.4 fWAR before reaching the age of 24.

For comparison,

Jonathan Schoop accrued 1.7 fWAR before reaching 24. (exactly equal to Albert Almora Jr, who did it in a little more than half of the PAs)

Even adjusting for PAs, Russell has still been more than twice as valuable per 600 PA at equivalent ages.

4 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Addison Russell accrued 7.4 fWAR before reaching the age of 24.

For comparison,

Jonathan Schoop accrued 1.7 fWAR before reaching 24. (exactly equal to Albert Almora Jr, who did it in a little more than half of the PAs)

Even adjusting for PAs, Russell has still been more than twice as valuable per 600 PA at equivalent ages.

And so why are the Cubs really hot to replace him?  Maybe they believe his future progress will be a lot less likely to mirror Jonathan’s?   I want pitching prospects and top ones...like the Dodgers have, the Yankees have...even the Diamondbacks or Brewers would be better placed to give us higher value in return, imho

8 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

And so why are the Cubs really hot to replace him?  Maybe they believe his future progress will be a lot less likely to mirror Jonathan’s?   I want pitching prospects and top ones...like the Dodgers have, the Yankees have...even the Diamondbacks or Brewers would be better placed to give us higher value in return, imho

I want players with a full 6 years of service time, so I agree with you, I just wanted to point out that the Cubs players who are being discussed are solid pieces and very young.

This Cubs blogger is not too happy about the trade Bowden (yes, Bowden sucks yada yada) discussed in an Athletic article:

Basically, Russell, Happ, and two of the Cubs top 5 pitching prospects, for Machado and Jones.  I would probably do that - highly doubt the Cubs would. 

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/05/latest-cubs-trade-proposal-involves-manny-machado-and-adam-jones/

7 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

This Cubs blogger is not too happy about the trade Bowden (yes, Bowden sucks yada yada) discussed in an Athletic article:

Basically, Russell, Happ, and two of the Cubs top 5 pitching prospects, for Machado and Jones.  I would probably do that - highly doubt the Cubs would. 

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/05/latest-cubs-trade-proposal-involves-manny-machado-and-adam-jones/

Good Lord that's awful for the Cubs. The Cubs already have a  CFer on his way to a 5fWAR season. Why downgrade, let alone pay to downgrade?

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Good Lord that's awful for the Cubs. The Cubs already have a  CFer on his way to a 5fWAR season. Why downgrade, let alone pay to downgrade?

Agreed. But you know Bowden and his weird theories...

That said, I am still more intrigued by a potential Cardinals, Indians, or Dodgers package.

5 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Because their RF is a below replacement offensive performer and Adam Jones could play there. And, if they are giving up Happ, they would need another OF.

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

Weams is right. I've personally talked to Manny about this....Manny won't play 3b for his new team going forward except maybe in an emergency situation for a game or two. He's set at shortstop....

By new team do you mean next season or if he gets traded this season?

I think it would be very shortsighted for Manny to refuse to play third if he gets traded this year and that is where the team wants to put him.

I also think that if a team with a clearly better offer wants him to play third next year he will agree to play third.  Money talks.

Archived