O'Day to the DL

gtman55

31 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

O'day did

Fixed that for you. We are going to get about 50 very mediocre innings for a 36 million dollar contract

We haven't seen rock bottom until we see what kind of extension Brady gifts Jones with.

Next year if we were to actually put our best 25 players on the 25 man roster we would have more salary going to the DFA'ed players than the actual players. That's great management.

At least Bobby Bo is off the payroll!  #babysteps 

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Correlation doesn’t mean causation. PRP often proceeds TJS because players/teams are looking for a last ditch non-surgical option.

Agree. However, HGH is much better at healing injuries. I don't have time to surf right now, but pretty sure it's like 5x faster. HGH can heal old, nagging injuries as well as being able to heal traumatic brain injuries like concussions. It's insane to me that we're not using this more for this kind of thing. I've no doubt it could heal a UCL (or any ligament) without surgery. Millions of people the world over use HGH under a doctor's supervision without side effects every day. It has so much potential in this area. I can't believe we're not using it for injuries in sports these days especially with concussions.

6 hours ago, Sessh said:

Agree. However, HGH is much better at healing injuries. I don't have time to surf right now, but pretty sure it's like 5x faster. HGH can heal old, nagging injuries as well as being able to heal traumatic brain injuries like concussions. It's insane to me that we're not using this more for this kind of thing. I've no doubt it could heal a UCL (or any ligament) without surgery. Millions of people the world over use HGH under a doctor's supervision without side effects every day. It has so much potential in this area. I can't believe we're not using it for injuries in sports these days especially with concussions.

A couple things, when did we go from talking about an allowable  PRP injection to HGH which is a banned substance. Secondly, I’d like to see some research to back up your HGH claims, everything I’d read pointed to it being largely ineffective.

.. because it's ridiculous that it isn't used when HGH's ability to heal brain injuries is well documented. Here is one page with links to many recent studies and I'm sure there's more to find. Patients recover much faster from achilles surgery when given growth hormones than not and this study examining how testosterone and growth hormone enhance injury and recovery with links, clinical data and anecdotal data. Growth hormones heal and regenerate tissue. That's what they do and have always done and it's ridiculous why it's not used as such in sports.

Besides, growth factors aren't entirely banned since PRP injections contain several growth factors themselves otherwise they wouldn't work at all, but not as well as HGH itself seems to work. I've even known a few people who had chronic knee or ankle pain healed using HGH therapy in weeks after years of pain and the pain never came back. Why are growth factors allowed in PRP if they are banned and why does the general public get access to growth hormone treatments that athletes, who arguably need them more, can't have access to?

38 minutes ago, Sessh said:

.. because it's ridiculous that it isn't used when HGH's ability to heal brain injuries is well documented. Here is one page with links to many recent studies and I'm sure there's more to find. Patients recover much faster from achilles surgery when given growth hormones than not and this study examining how testosterone and growth hormone enhance injury and recovery with links, clinical data and anecdotal data. Growth hormones heal and regenerate tissue. That's what they do and have always done and it's ridiculous why it's not used as such in sports.

Besides, growth factors aren't entirely banned since PRP injections contain several growth factors themselves otherwise they wouldn't work at all, but not as well as HGH itself seems to work. I've even known a few people who had chronic knee or ankle pain healed using HGH therapy in weeks after years of pain and the pain never came back. Why are growth factors allowed in PRP if they are banned and why does the general public get access to growth hormone treatments that athletes, who arguably need them more, can't have access to?

I agree with you that HGH should be allowed to treat injuries, it shouldn't be a banned substance because it's efficacy as a performance enhancer is non-existent. I was thinking about HGH's ineffectiveness in improving athletic performance when I responded, my bad. Testosterone, is trickier, because while it of course speeds recovery and healing, it also is a strong performance enhancer and it'd be hard to police using it locally for healing purposes vs systemically for performance enhancing effects. 

http://annals.org/data/journals/aim/20160/0000605-200805200-00007.pdf    This is a literature review of the efficacy of HGH as a performance enhancer.

O’Day said he began stretching in the middle innings of Tuesday’s game when another reliever ran into his space and hit his arm.

“It was a freak accident,” O’Day said. “My arm felt great. … I threw two innings in Oakland. There was nothing related to that. It felt good. It’s frustrating because to succeed you have to stay on the field. I felt good. I felt like I was pitching better. It was just a freak accident.”

O’Day said the pain from the initial hit made him worry it was a serious injury, but an MRI revealed no structural damage.

“I thought it was something that I thought I may be out for a long time because it hurt quite a bit,” O’Day said. “We got an MRI and everything is structurally fine. … I think I’ll be fine, at least I’m hoping. It didn’t feel good at the time and I really was pretty worried about it. … Hopefully it will be just the 10 days.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notes-20180511-story.html

9 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I agree with you that HGH should be allowed to treat injuries, it shouldn't be a banned substance because it's efficacy as a performance enhancer is non-existent. I was thinking about HGH's ineffectiveness in improving athletic performance when I responded, my bad. Testosterone, is trickier, because while it of course speeds recovery and healing, it also is a strong performance enhancer and it'd be hard to police using it locally for healing purposes vs systemically for performance enhancing effects. 

http://annals.org/data/journals/aim/20160/0000605-200805200-00007.pdf    This is a literature review of the efficacy of HGH as a performance enhancer.

Indeed, I was under that impression as well in regard to that link. I also found this article on the VA having to do with veterans that suffered blast concussions.

Many Veterans suffering from blast concussions may have hormone deficiencies that mimic some of the symptoms of posttraumatic stress disorder and depression, according to researchers with the VA Puget Sound Health Care System and the University of Washington.

The researchers screened 35 Veterans with blast injuries. They found that 42 percent had irregular hormone levels indicative of an underactive pituitary gland—also known as hypopituitarism. The condition can often be controlled by replacing the deficient hormones.

The researchers took blood samples from 35 Veterans who had received a diagnosis of a blast concussion about a year prior—enough time for hormone changes to become evident. About 42 percent of these Veterans showed abnormally low levels of at least one of the pituitary hormones.

The most common deficiency was in human growth hormone. Low levels can cause symptoms similar to those of PTSD and depression, as well as raise the risk of heart attack and stroke. The second most common problem was hypogonadism—changes in sex hormones that can affect body composition and sexual function.

So, it seems that these horrible post-concussion symptoms are caused by a deficiency in one or more hormones due to the damage with HGH being the most common one. There is no reason why it should be banned from medical applications for athletes trying to recover from injuries and head trauma.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2018 at 4:58 PM, Luke-OH said:

A couple things, when did we go from talking about an allowable  PRP injection to HGH which is a banned substance. Secondly, I’d like to see some research to back up your HGH claims, everything I’d read pointed to it being largely ineffective.

I wonder when some of these you guys grow 6 inches in an offseason at age 23, but I agree. The research does not seem to back that up. 

Some of the amino acid cocktails they take now seem to be more supported with results. 

10 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

So what happened to him? I think someone ran into him in the bullpen?

I heard it was a person who is not a big Fox News fan.?

O’Day said he began stretching in the middle innings of Tuesday’s game when another reliever ran into his space and hit his arm.

“It was a freak accident,” O’Day said. “My arm felt great. … I threw two innings in Oakland. There was nothing related to that. It felt good. It’s frustrating because to succeed you have to stay on the field. I felt good. I felt like I was pitching better. It was just a freak accident.”

O’Day said the pain from the initial hit made him worry it was a serious injury, but an MRI revealed no structural damage.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-notes-20180511-story.html

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Pretty rough rehab outing at Frederick, as O’Day only lasted 2/3 of an inning and walked three batters, all of whom scored after he left the game.   

This team buried itself with lifetime achievement award contracts

Hardy, Davis, O'day, Trumbo, lots and lots of money flushed down the toilet on guys that quite predictably were no longer any good.

Hardy, a 30+ middle infielder that had just seen his HR total drop form 25 to 8

O'day, a 30+ middle reliever that had pitched a large amount of innings and had recently been prone to muscle pulls

Davis, a 30+ slugger that had hit .196 one year removed from his signing, served a PED suspension, and had been pumping his body full of stimulants for years 

Trumbo, a power only guy who could be had on the open market for 1/4Million type deals that the O's decided to lock up for three years at more than triple the market rate

Archived