Bundy velocity and farm system decline

DocJJ

I saw Bundy pitch at Frederick and Bowie a few years ago- he was routinely hitting 97-98 MPH.   I see his velocity is down, in the 91 MPH range.   I know he's a few seasons out from TJ surgery, but this development is alarming to me.    MLB hitters routinely destroy 90 MPH pitches.   While I'm encouraged by his last outing, the drop off in velocity is quite concerning to me....

Is it my imagination our did our farm system become a barren wasteland again?    I see one of our top prospects, Austin Hays, scuffling to a .230 mark.   Cedric Mullins is also not setting the world on fire.   Mountcastle has been hurt, but looks like a DH at this point.   Jomar Reyes has completely disappeared from the prospect map.   DJ Stewart looks like a "cup of coffee" guy as opposed to MLB regular.    Sedlock looks like a blown 1st round pick.   I don't see any solid catchers or infielders....

When you're in May and your season has already gone into the toilet, you generally look to the farm to see if the future might one day look brighter....   Ugh....    Maybe we can somehow turn Machado into a few useful parts, though I'm not sure I trust Duquette to do that ....

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I saw Bundy pitch at Frederick and Bowie a few years ago- he was routinely hitting 97-98 MPH.   I see his velocity is down, in the 91 MPH range.   I know he's a few seasons out from TJ surgery, but this development is alarming to me.    MLB hitters routinely destroy 90 MPH pitches.   While I'm encouraged by his last outing, the drop off in velocity is quite concerning to me....

He also had a shoulder calcification issue of a magnitude never before seen in a pitcher.

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think the OH overrates the guys that we have in the system.  Hays and Mullins are ok, not the best.  But around here, people are acting like they're great.  

Hays and Mullins are two completely different players. Hays was on every national prospect top 25 so he is a true prospect.  Mullins was on no top 100 and mostly around the 5-10 range of prospects on many peoples Orioles list.

Just now, bpilktree said:

Hays and Mullins are two completely different players. Hays was on every national prospect top 25 so he is a true prospect.  Mullins was on no top 100 and mostly around the 5-10 range of prospects on many peoples Orioles list.

That's fine and dandy about Hays but he's not performing like a top 25 prospect this year.  

The fact that Mullins isn't ranked anywhere on a top 100 list and people are hyping him is a testament to how thin our system is.

23 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Is it my imagination our did our farm system become a barren wasteland again?    I see one of our top prospects, Austin Hays, scuffling to a .230 mark.   Cedric Mullins is also not setting the world on fire.   Mountcastle has been hurt, but looks like a DH at this point.   Jomar Reyes has completely disappeared from the prospect map.   DJ Stewart looks like a "cup of coffee" guy as opposed to MLB regular.    Sedlock looks like a blown 1st round pick.   I don't see any solid catchers or infielders....

When you're in May and your season has already gone into the toilet, you generally look to the farm to see if the future might one day look brighter....   Ugh....    Maybe we can somehow turn Machado into a few useful parts, though I'm not sure I trust Duquette to do that ....

We traded:

• Ariel Miranda
  • Josh Hader
  • Zach Davies
  • 2 or 3 years worth of international bonus slots

Not hard to figure out why we don't have any talent left in the pipeline.

However, regarding Bundy, he hasn't been a high-90s thrower as a starter for quite a while.  He sat mid-90s when he was a BP arm, but he's been around 92 for 2017 and 2018.  He was pretty effective at 92.

Nothing like coming off a 17-1 win and taking 5 out of the last 6 to really fire up the angst.

Maybe we should celebrate how Bundy has turned into a pitcher instead of remaining a velocity guy.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's fine and dandy about Hays but he's not performing like a top 25 prospect this year.  

The fact that Mullins isn't ranked anywhere on a top 100 list and people are hyping him is a testament to how thin our system is.

I have to agree here. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I miss watching good defense.

Mullins doesn't have to hit with the bat for me to be happy to see him up.

I will tell you this. I can build you a team of top defenders all for minimum forever. If they never have to do that single hardest thing. Hit a baseball. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

He doesn't have to hit like Willie Mays.  It would be cool if he could hit like Adam Jones with great defense.

Would’t that person be the second best cf in the world?

Archived