Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

On 5/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, Frobby said:

I need one story, from a source who identifies himself.    

Honestly, I’m sure there’s plenty of truth to these reports, but they’re all second or third hand and drawn from unnamed sources.    I have worked on many cases covered by the media and have found the coverage often inaccurate, not carefully checked, and often “spun” by whoever provided the information.    So, I always tend to have some skepticism about what gets reported.  And, it’s certainly true that Cafardo has always been a Duquette booster.   

You will wait for a long time because baseball people don't do that. I understand your line of thinking, but life doesn't work like trying to solve a legal case. Hell, I worked in the intelligence field for 25 years and I'm not sure we ever had anything that would have held up in a court of law. lol

Sometimes you gotta make an analytical judgement that includes sources, but also actions and inactions to make a call. All I know, when you have a ton of the same stories, especially when you have them coming from multiple sources (Cadardo had baseball execs), you have to at some point think that maybe people aren't just making things up.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You will wait for a long time because baseball people don't do that. I understand your line of thinking, but life doesn't work like trying to solve a legal case. Hell, I worked in the intelligence field for 25 years and I'm not sure we ever had anything that would have held up in a court of law. lol

Sometimes you gotta make an analytical judgement that includes sources, but also actions and inactions to make a call. All I know, when you have a ton of the same stories, especially when you have them coming from multiple sources (Cadardo had baseball execs), you have to at some point think that maybe people aren't just making things up.

I hear you, and as I said, I don’t think people are just making things up.    But I don’t always accept everything as gospel, either.    

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Ownership tried to keep him.  

Yeah, this is a great mystery.  Was AM just at a time in his life where he didn’t want to do the work anymore or was there something deeper?  Seemed like AM was given everything he wanted. 

59 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Yeah, this is a great mystery.  Was AM just at a time in his life where he didn’t want to do the work anymore or was there something deeper?  Seemed like AM was given everything he wanted. 

I think he was tired of dealing with Angelo's.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Didn't Angelos force Buck on AM? Or did Buck come along after AM was gone? I thought part of the deal with AM leaving was not being able to hire his own manager, among other issues. I don't remember exactly.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Could be.   He said he was taking time off to be with his family, including his father Lee MacPhail, who was ailing and died a year later.    But you have to think that if he’d really enjoyed working for Angelos, he might have stayed.   

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Could be.   He said he was taking time off to be with his family, including his father Lee MacPhail, who was ailing and died a year later.    But you have to think that if he’d really enjoyed working for Angelos, he might have stayed.   

Buck wasn't AM's choice for manager, and he probably didn't want to have to deal with him as well as PA.

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I mean this semi-seriously. Is there any person who has really enjoyed working for Peter Angelos, ever? (His relatives are not eligible.) I'm not saying there isn't anyone, but I can't think of anyone. Brady Anderson, maybe. Radio or TV announcers? 

2 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

Didn't Angelos force Buck on AM? Or did Buck come along after AM was gone? I thought part of the deal with AM leaving was not being able to hire his own manager, among other issues. I don't remember exactly.

In a way. Buck wasn't MacPhail's original choice. 

21 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

In a way. Buck wasn't MacPhail's original choice. 

What would you peg the odds of Buck moving onto a front office role or staying as a field manager with the Orioles? I'm certain Buck will be with the Orioles beyond this ear, although I wish the club would move in a different direction...

1 hour ago, Es4M11 said:

What would you peg the odds of Buck moving onto a front office role or staying as a field manager with the Orioles? I'm certain Buck will be with the Orioles beyond this ear, although I wish the club would move in a different direction...

As the season wears on, I'm growing less and less certain Buck will be back. At the start of the year, I figured Buck would be with the O's next year (provided he wanted to), but now, I think we may get a overhaul which, on the face of it, may not be a bad thing. The issue is that overhaul is likely going to be done by Brady and the Angelos clan and I'm not confident that gets us to a better place.

2 hours ago, Es4M11 said:

Hmm, I honestly have to say I don't know. I'd have to know who is going to make that decision first and I'm not sure that is clear. I get the feeling Peter Angelos is hoping to be able to have his head placed on another body in the hopes of living forever and still make the final calls. But I don't know that for sure. ;)

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Hmm, I honestly have to say I don't know. I'd have to know who is going to make that decision first and I'm not sure that is clear. I get the feeling Peter Angelos is hoping to be able to have his head placed on another body in the hopes of living forever and still make the final calls. But I don't know that for sure. ;)

I had a client who had his mother’s brain cryogenically frozen so that she could be brought back to life when technology allowed.    Talk about having a Mommy Complex!   And this was a very intelligent guy.  

Archived