Paul, how about a positive article on the future

wildcard

46 minutes ago, weams said:

In fact, if you asked other organizations which of Mullins, Hays or Mountcastle they would take in a trade now - I bet it is split between Hays and Mountcastle.  They love you until you fail. 

Maybe but the O's should not be trading away their young talent.  They should be collecting more young talent.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maybe but the O's should not be trading away their young talent.  They should be collecting more young talent.

I agree with you. But don't think that any of those other position players are currently more valuable than Mountcastle. You will be on the dissenting end of the argument. 

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

So inform me.   You are right.  I have not seen Mountcastle play.  But what I have read is that he has a weak arm and the move to 3B is not going very well on throws where a strong arm is needed.   I am not hearing that his arm is erratic.  Its just weak which will probably keep him from being good at 3B in the majors where the game is faster.

He has an erratic arm. I've watched him miss a lot like Pedro. And he has a timing issue with his release. His arm may very well not play at third. But it's not because his are is so weak. I don't see him as a strong defender anywhere. But there have been plenty of major leaguers who are bat first. And it's a bat. 

11 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

And they will both be here for the entirety of Spring Training.

Cashner coming a few weeks prior to Opening Day this season probably only hurt him in one start (his first), 

o

Cashner signed on February 15th.  Saying that it had any impact on even his first start is ridiculous. 

12 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

And they will both be here for the entirety of Spring Training.

Cashner coming a few weeks prior to Opening Day this season probably only hurt him in one start (his first), but Cobb took about 4 or 5 starts to start pitching (at least) reasonably well because he was signed at the last minute.

o

54 minutes ago, POR said:

Cashner signed on February 15th.  Saying that it had any impact on even his first start is ridiculous. 

o

Cashner had 3 weeks of Spring Training, of which he made 2 starts (plus a short 3rd start against AAA-Norfolk.)

A full Spring Training is 6 weeks, and starting pitchers usually have 5 or 6 starts.

So it's not ridiculous to make a correlation to one bad start for him to begin the season, and 3 or 4 bad starts to begin the season for Cobb (who had no Spring Training at all.)

o

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

I got the point.  But I think you were too negative in the article about the future Orioles.   Negativity about the O's is everywhere with the way the O's are playing.  You are such a good writer,  I just wanted you to write about  the positives.   

The O's are going to have a lot of 25 man roster spots open as the season going on.  Manny, Britton, Brach and  Jones will probably be traded. Gentry,  Alvarez,  and Peterson  probably have no future with the O's.    40 man roster spots for Tillman, Sardinas and Rasmus also probably open up.  That is 10 spots on the  40 man roster that need to be filled by players that are currently on the O's farm or players that the O's acquire in trade.    I see a lot on movement happening this season.

That's sort of what I'm saying -- there could be a lot of roster spots to fill, but who's going to fill them this season? It's probably not going to be top prospects, other than perhaps a September cup of coffee. I'm looking forward to seeing Stewart and Mullins (assuming the latter comes up this year), along with whoever the O's might get in trades. But otherwise the in-house choices are more of the fringe/journeyman type players like Dosch, Melville, Wojciechowski, etc.

5 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

That's sort of what I'm saying -- there could be a lot of roster spots to fill, but who's going to fill them this season? It's probably not going to be top prospects, other than perhaps a September cup of coffee. I'm looking forward to seeing Stewart and Mullins (assuming the latter comes up this year), along with whoever the O's might get in trades. But otherwise the in-house choices are more of the fringe/journeyman type players like Dosch, Melville, Wojciechowski, etc.

They say Stevie Wilkerson is back on the watch as well now.

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

We don't know who comes back in trade.   Infielders are needed.   For now Beckham is probably the SS and Valencia/Peterson the 3B.  That is an issue for the off season if the O's don't find better replacements in the mid season trades.

Britton and Brach will be replaced from the O's system.   Scott and Hart get called up to help  Givens, O'Day, Bleier, Castro, Wright.    Yacabonis is improving and may see some major league outings.   Akins and Harvey may get call ups in September.

Stewart and Mullins get call ups to help replace the Adam defensively and offensively.   Santander and  Hays may see September call ups.

That is the way it might go.  But there will hopefully be new players added in trades that boost the O's future.

5 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

Cashner had 3 weeks of Spring Training, of which he made 2 starts (plus a short 3rd start against AAA-Norfolk.)

A full Spring Training is 6 weeks, and starting pitchers usually have 5 or 6 starts.

So it's not ridiculous to make a correlation to one bad start for him to begin the season, and 3 or 4 bad starts to begin the season for Cobb (who had no Spring Training at all.)

o

Pitchers and catchers had their first workout on February 14th.  Cashner signed on February 15th.  No idea where you are getting three weeks of spring training.  Buck played his silly games of pitching with hiding Cashner in intra squad and minor league games but he had a full spring training.

2 hours ago, POR said:

Pitchers and catchers had their first workout on February 14th. Cashner signed on February 15th. I have no idea where you are getting three weeks of spring training. Buck played his silly games of pitching with hiding Cashner in intra squad and minor league games, but he had a full spring training.

o

OK, my bad.

o

Archived