How did they get this bad?

connja

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why name drop me, and distort what I said?

Sigh ........

4 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

You aren't the first he has done that to ........

o

Thank you.

This is the proper context of what he said, starting with the 4th and 5th posts of this page in this thread:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/topic/31938-peterson-question/&page=2&tab=comments#comment-2311988

o

3 hours ago, Enjoy Terror said:

They’re gonna need a shortstop when Manny leaves.

Exactly right, or a LF when Trey moves to 1B.  Fantasy baseball eligibility - the new Oriole Way.  And ya gotta have mashers if ya wanna play in the AL East...

OK,  i kind of get what has happened to Chris Davis.   He is a power guy who has not been able to adjust to the shift.    And for a long time he has been stubborn about his approach to hitting. 

But what is going on with Schoop and Mancini?   I don't understand that at all.

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

OK,  i kind of get what has happened to Chris Davis.   He is a power guy who has not been able to adjust to the shift.    And for a long time he has been stubborn about his approach to hitting. 

Mr. Angelos.

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

First off Davis' problem isn't so much the shift.  The shift isn't making him take called strike threes at historic rates and they can't shift into the stands so it isn't what is wrong with the lack of home runs.

I think Schoop is Schoop.  Odds were good last year was a career year for him.  This year looks similar to 2014 and the second half of 2016 for him.

We have disagreed on Mancini from day one.  I think he's a guy and you think he's a dude. 

I do think all three will regress toward their career numbers to some degree.

Strikeout have always been a part on Davis.   He had approximately 200 Ks even in his good years.  But his drop off in hits over the last 2.3 years has been related to the shift IMO.

I just don't know what to say about Schoop and Mancini.

17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

They are mostly just in slumps that happen.   In a normal year, you’d have a couple guys like this, and a couple other guys who were over performing, and it would all sort of balance out.   But with Davis playing at sub-sub-sub replacement level yet playing almost everyday, Beckham (who was slumping too) out and his replacements doing terribly, there’s just not enough out there to counterbalance Mancini and Schoop.   Manny can’t do it by himself.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Strikeout have always been a part on Davis.   He had approximately 200 Ks even in his good years.  But his drop off in hits over the last 2.3 years has been related to the shift IMO.

Not the called strike three rate.  That's a new feature that showed up in the last few years.

Yes the shift is hurting him on ground balls and to a much lesser degree on line drives and fly balls.

But it isn't causing all of this.

It isn't causing his inactivity with two strikes, it isn't causing his power to disappear.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Other than messing with his mind, I don't think the shift is keeping Davis from making contact with good velocity off the bat.  

Just now, wildcard said:

You really can’t treat the three years as if they’re equivalent.    Davis was still a contributor in 2016.     He still had periods of contribution in 2017.    He’s unspeakably awful in 2018.    And by no means is the shift the main cause.   They’ve been shifting on Davis longer than the last three years.    It certainly doesn’t explain why his homers have dropped off a cliff.    Bottom line, he doesn’t hit the ball very hard even when he makes contact.   

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Well, if you mean individually, I think that Frobby as usual nails it above.  We have too many people slumping at the same time and are sinking with Davis in the lineup daily and Beckham hurt etc.

But really we are moving away from what got us to good.  We are atrocious defensively and you really cannot underestimate this.  We have gone from 3 to 5 potential gold glove players Manny, Davis, Wieters, Hardy and Jones to no one.  And I don't mean no one, I mean no one under consideration.  When we had strong D, this made our pitching better, it made our offense more potent and it made the team better to watch.

So other than being the organization being mismanaged like a third world country, and that fact that we play that guy from the local beer league at first base and bat him 4th or 5th, I would have to say the single biggest from when we were good to now is that we have gone from very good defensively to very poor.

Archived