Which outcome would you prefer?

Frobby

Which outcome would you prefer?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which outcome would you prefer?

• Orioles continue to play sub-.333 baseball and get the no. 1 pick
    • Orioles play .500 baseball from here and get the 6th overall pick

10 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Are you implying you love this team more that those who favor the other outcome?  I and others want what’s best for the team in the long run. If we had more responsible ownership, I may feel the way you do. Technically, I’ve been a fan longer than you, but that doesn’t make me more of a fan. 

This team is like watching a dying animal and euthanasia is the humane choice. Play the kids. Trade what’s what nailed down and get the #1 pick. 

If along with Manny we traded Britton, Jones Bundy, Schoop, Mancini and others and got back a bunch of retreads with two years left on their contracts...is that going to make you feel better?  Honest question.

Because I agree with you....we should move everything we can.  But if there isn't a cohesive plan we are literally just rearranging chairs.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, foxfield said:

If along with Manny we traded Britton, Jones Bundy, Schoop, Mancini and others and got back a bunch of retreads with two years left on their contracts...is that going to make you feel better?  Honest question.

Because I agree with you....we should move everything we can.  But if there isn't a cohesive plan we are literally just rearranging chairs.

I don't understand this philosophy.   You trade Schoop,, Bundy, Gausman, Mancini  and then try to find some one as good as they are.   What is the point in trading them?

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

No retreads. Whatsoever. That’s not a rebuild. I’m willing to sit through some losing years if we go the Astros or Cubs route. I don’t know if the FO has the will to do this. I’m just expressing my view. 

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I don't understand this philosophy.   You trade Schoop,, Bundy, Gausman, Mancini  and then try to find some one as good as they are.   What is the point in trading them?

Because the new guys will be under control for 6+ seasons and the old guys will be gone before the team is good enough to make the playoffs.

If you don't think the O's can make the playoffs next season than you should want to trade Schoop.  If you don't think they can make the playoffs for four years than you should trade the whole group.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because the new guys will be under control for 6+ seasons and the old guys will be gone before the team is good enough to make the playoffs.

If you don't think the O's can make the playoffs next season than you should want to trade Schoop.  If you don't think they can make the playoffs for four years than you should trade the whole group.

BS,  Schoop and Mancini are 26,  Bundy 25, Gausman 27.  They all have 5 good years in them.  If the O's can't build a winning team in 3 years there is something drastically wrong.  I would extend the O's good players.

Let me be clear I picked option one, but that does NOT mean I root against the O's I just think a better pick would be nice at this point.

If the Orioles decide to WAKE up and play .500 ball the rest of the way, well so be it. ?

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

BS,  Schoop and Mancini are 26,  Bundy 25, Gausman 27.  They all have 5 good years in them.  If the O's can't build a winning team in 3 years there is something drastically wrong.  I would extend the O's good players.

I'm sorry have the re-instituted the reserve clause when I wasn't looking?

How much money are you willing to throw at these guys so they won't say no?

You can't just hand out blank checks.

I'm also unsure you can consider Mancini a good player, at least not in a world where he has to play left field.

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Seems to me that oftentimes when a bad team has a sell-off, they actually do better (or at least, no worse) after the sell-off.    For example, the 2000 O’s were 46-58 at the trade deadline when they traded Surhoff, Clark, Bordick, Timlin, C. Johnson and perhaps some others I can’t think of now.    They went 28-30 the rest of the way.

While they weren’t a bad team, the 2016 Yankees were 52-52 before the deadline, and after trading Chapman, Miller, Beltran and McCann, went 32-26 the rest of the way.   

I don't know if anyone reminded you earlier in the thread but that 28-30 finish in 2000 is what cost the Orioles a shot at drafting Mark Teixiera. That is exactly why I want as many losses as possible at this point. It's not a guarantee but in recent years several clubs have gone through 3 or 4 horrible years and come out the other side very strong. This is the way to rebuild for small-middle market clubs.

1 minute ago, vab said:

I don't know if anyone reminded you earlier in the thread but that 28-30 finish in 2000 is what cost the Orioles a shot at drafting Mark Teixiera. That is exactly why I want as many losses as possible at this point. It's not a guarantee but in recent years several clubs have gone through 3 or 4 horrible years and come out the other side very strong. This is the way to rebuild for small-middle market clubs.

Yea but if you add Mark Teixiera to those teams they still don't go anywhere.  I also think he walks when he hits FA if he had signed with the O's out of college.

I will have hope when the following is announced.

The Orioles have just hired a the Assistant Scouting Director for Latin American talent from the Minnesota Twins or any team that has REALLY competed in the talent pool.

The Orioles have also announced that the new Latin American Director of Scouting has been authorized to hire ten additional scouts for Latin America.

In the interim this transplanted Marylander now in AZ can only say thank goodness for the Dbacks.

22 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Of course not, who in their right mind would advocate for that?  We want the pending FAs and guys over 30 moved for prospects, not retreads with 2 years left on their contracts.  And I'm keeping Bundy, Mancini, and Schoop.  Move Manny, Jones, Britton, Brach, O'Day if there is interest, Trumbo if there is interest (big if here, I know), etc.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I agree and it aint my philosophy.  I simply said to Nash Lumber's quote of trade what aint nailed down to be cautious what you are trading them for....Melvin Mora was a surprise pick up in a previous dump of otherwise dreadful returns for a midseason sell off.

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I agree and it aint my philosophy.  I simply said to Nash Lumber's quote of trade what aint nailed down to be cautious what you are trading them for....Melvin Mora was a surprise pick up in a previous dump of otherwise dreadful returns for a midseason sell off.

Agreed, and I said no retreads in my reply to that upthread. If a team wants quality from us, we get upside controllable prospects in return. As others have said, the insertion of retreads into the equation is not the way to rebuild. 

Archived