Which outcome would you prefer?

Frobby

Which outcome would you prefer?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Which outcome would you prefer?

• Orioles continue to play sub-.333 baseball and get the no. 1 pick
    • Orioles play .500 baseball from here and get the 6th overall pick

Just now, NashLumber said:

Agreed, and I said no retreads in my reply to that upthread. If a team wants quality from us, we get upside controllable prospects in return. As others have said, the insertion of retreads into the equation is not the way to rebuild. 

Yes, I just want whatever we do from here to be with the understanding that '18 and '19 are gone and we need to look to '20 and beyond.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ballmer Bruce said:

I will have hope when the following is announced.

The Orioles have just hired a the Assistant Scouting Director for Latin American talent from the Minnesota Twins or any team that has REALLY competed in the talent pool.

The Orioles have also announced that the new Latin American Director of Scouting has been authorized to hire ten additional scouts for Latin America.

In the interim this transplanted Marylander now in AZ can only say thank goodness for the Dbacks.

You left off the part about letting them actually sign the guys.

6 hours ago, Frobby said:

There’s no way anybody’s thinking that.   The Orioles are 17.5 games out of the 2nd wild card.    These people may be unrealistically optimistic at times, but that would be lunacy.    Nobody’s that stupid.   

I honestly don’t either. It’s only half serious. But I legitimately see no benefit to the club being a 63- or 70-win team other than being only slightly less painful to watch for the next hundred games. And if we have no shot, then whether we play .500 ball for the next four months is utterly irrelevant to me. If the season is well and truly hopeless, let them get the consensus best player available next year. Let them see that things need to change. Let them look an international talent. Let them stress pitching, defense, and a solid grasp of the fundamentals. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I know many people are going to say that if we’re going to stink, we need to really stink as badly as possible to get the best draft pick.    But I don’t know if I can endure a whole season of playing like we’ve played so far.    I know there’s probably some happy medium where we play a little better but still finish last, but putting that to one side, would you prefer that we continue playing sub-.333 baseball and get the top pick, or that we play respectably from here (.500) and end up with the 6th pick or so?     If those are the two choices, which do you choose?

I'm afraid any improvements the O's made would make Angelos think the team is playoff bound and nix a Manny trade. Well hell he will probably do that anyway.

Just now, mdbdotcom said:

It's not hard to imagine this team finishing with the worst record and then using the 1st pick in next year's draft on a signability pick.

Hard for me to imagine it.

I can only think of two first round picks under Angelos that were motivated by keeping costs down and none since the draft changed to the current slotting.

Can you imagine the outrage if the O's left 2M in their pool?

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can only think of two first round picks under Angelos that were motivated by keeping costs down and none since the draft changed to the current slotting.

Saving it for a bunch of overslot picks.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They will spend 100% 

Not 105%

13 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

Depends on who is in the FO. With Buck and DD gone. Hopefully Brady too. 

Replacement sake for replacement sake, doesn't always mean the next guy is any better.

Unless Peter changes his ways, it doesn't matter if Corn or Wildcard is the GM, results, would be the same. :)

2 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

I think that is irrelevant.

How is that?

You pray the team sucks, so they have the worse record in baseball to get the #1 pick.

But, if your FO is able to ascertain which is really the best #1 option, then its all for naught.

Archived