Fangraphs: O’s have zero of the top 131 prospects in baseball.

Frobby

2 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

We are about the weakest participants internationally in all of mlb and have forfeited picks to sign Jimenez and Gallardo and traded picks to shed BMat and Ryan - that's the equivalent of four top 50 picks not in our system.  Some teams, like the Braves, have about 10 guys better than pretty much anyone in our system.

Also Cruz, Cobb, Davis and Trumbo.

Is someone is willing to make the argument that no one else would have forfeited a pick to sign Trumbo I won't disagree with you.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

We are about the weakest participants internationally in all of mlb and have forfeited picks to sign Jimenez and Gallardo and traded picks to shed BMat and Ryan - that's the equivalent of four top 50 picks not in our system.  Some teams, like the Braves, have about 10 guys better than pretty much anyone in our system.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sometimes, I forget how many picks we've squandered and for how little we got in those gambles. All those picks (eight mentioned above) plus the total lack of international draft participation and it's absolutely easy to believe that every team in the majors has 4-5 players better than the best guy in our system. As a matter of fact, it's the expected outcome IMO.

Just now, Sessh said:

Sometimes, I forget how many picks we've squandered and for how little we got in those gambles. All those picks (eight mentioned above) plus the total lack of international draft participation and it's absolutely easy to believe that every team in the majors has 4-5 players better than the best guy in our system. As a matter of fact, it's the expected outcome IMO.

They did recoup the Cruz pick, but they also traded a first round pick in the Norris deal.

4 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Bingo! Good call. Bauman..McKenna are not in top 131?  Who did I miss? This publication obviously doesn't know it's ass from its elbow.

McKenna is a pop up prospect. He has no history of hype so listing him in the top 131 after a very good month or two probably isn't going to happen. If he continues to perform he'll like be on the end of season list where the publications take a very long time to thoroughly analyze each team's farm.

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is someone is willing to make the argument that no one else would have forfeited a pick to sign Trumbo I won't disagree with you.

We netted a better pick for Cruz when he left than what we gave when we picked him up.  

Any pick from Cobb in the 2018 draft would not be in the top 131. 

Not sure what Davis we gave up a pick for.  

17 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

We netted a better pick for Cruz when he left than what we gave when we picked him up.  

Any pick from Cobb in the 2018 draft would not be in the top 131. 

Not sure what Davis we gave up a pick for.  

Debatable if mid range two today is worth less than a omp one next year.

The Davis that costs the O's a pick was of course Chris.  He had a QO attached remember?   By signiing Davis they gave up the pick they would have received.  Unless of course you don't think he would have signed by the draft.

Rotowire updated their top 400 prospect list.  It is a little different because it is based on projected fantasy baseball value.

Hays 78

Mountcastle 122

Mullins 125

Harvey 193

McKenna 203

Grayson Rodriguez 210

Stewart 259

Lowther 322

55 minutes ago, POR said:

Rotowire updated their top 400 prospect list.  It is a little different because it is based on projected fantasy baseball value.

Hays 78

Mountcastle 122

Mullins 125

Harvey 193

McKenna 203

Grayson Rodriguez 210

Stewart 259

Lowther 322

The Orioles have eight in top 400.

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, 400 divided by 30 is 13.3 per team on average.   8 is....not good.  But I wouldn’t necessarily put a lot of credence on this list.  

Agreed, I'd bet a good deal that Tanner Scott has a better career than 80% of that list.

Michael Baumann, Keegan Akin, DL Hall, Brenan Hanifee, Matthias Dietz, and Alex Wells also should be there.

10 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Agreed, I'd bet a good deal that Tanner Scott has a better career than 80% of that list.

Michael Baumann, Keegan Akin, DL Hall, Brenan Hanifee, Matthias Dietz, and Alex Wells also should be there.

Again, this list is based on fantasy baseball projections. Position players are much safer than pitchers in dynasty leagues.  As far as Scott goes, there are few if any relief pitchers on the list.

No list is going to be perfect.  I think clearly Akin and Hall belong. However, I am sure there is a strong bias against Orioles pitchers due to past development issues and the fact that the Orioles play in a perceived hitter's park in the AL east. 

49 minutes ago, POR said:

Again, this list is based on fantasy baseball projections. Position players are much safer than pitchers in dynasty leagues.  As far as Scott goes, there are few if any relief pitchers on the list.

No list is going to be perfect.  I think clearly Akin and Hall belong. However, I am sure there is a strong bias against Orioles pitchers due to past development issues and the fact that the Orioles play in a perceived hitter's park in the AL east. 

That’s a good point, and I had meant to say should be among the top 400 prospects, not that they should necessarily be on the list.

For all the flak Orioles get about developing pitching, do other orgs (besides a handful of top teams) really do a better job? I’m just asking, TJS is so common, failed pitching prospects are so common, I’m sure the O’s could do better of course, I’m just wondering if the narrative is worse than the reality.

Archived