Watch out for the Royals

JR Oriole

While we certainly stand alone with our ridiculous record of 19-48, has anyone noticed that the Royals are only 2.5 games better?  And they just keep losing.  I have this awful fear that as we head towards 110+ losses, somehow the Royals will screw us again and end up with an even worse record....securing that number 1 pick.  It would be so KC to stick it to us one more time, as if 2014 wasn't bad enough. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in KC from 2014-2018 (Feb). I despised the Royals the entire time because of the 2014 playoffs. Unfortunately my kids got caught in the Royal fever with back to back WS trips. It would be very Royal-like to get the top overall pick by one game over the Orioles. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Final weekend, O's sweep a meaningless series while the Royals lose out, securing the #1 pick.

It’s funny you say that. I was looking at the Orioles schedule the other day and see we finish at home vs the Astros. A lot of ball left but who knows if Houston will have anything to play for. I don’t see Seattle keeping this up. Houston could be just setting their postseason rotation up.  

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

It’s funny you say that. I was looking at the Orioles schedule the other day and see we finish at home vs the Astros. A lot of ball left but who knows if Houston will have anything to play for. I don’t see Seattle keeping this up. Houston could be just setting their postseason rotation up.  

Quick peek at the Royals schedule, they close out against Cleveland who could be setting up their rotation, too.

We have two games against them to kick off September.  I don't want Mike Wright on this team anymore but I'd give him and Tillman the starts for those games. :) 

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Final weekend, O's sweep a meaningless series while the Royals lose out, securing the #1 pick.

Like in 2000 when we swept the Yankees at the end of the year and ended up dropping to 7th overall pick, losing out on Mark Teixiera and eventually drafting Chris Smith (Ugghhhhhh). 

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Quick peek at the Royals schedule, they close out against Cleveland who could be setting up their rotation, too.

We have two games against them to kick off September.  I don't want Mike Wright on this team anymore but I'd give him and Tillman the starts for those games. :) 

And bringing Pedro Araujo to close if we happen to be up by a run and three home run hitters were coming up next. :D

Living here in Kansas City it is difficult.  Dayton Moore does a very good job with his team.  The consensus is that they should have started making the trades last year as Cain and Hosmer were most likely gone, but they have already traded Jay for two minor league pitchers and will not hesitate to make moves.  This years draft they got Singer, one of two pitchers that I thought fell to us, Liberatore being the other.  (but hopefully Grayson does well and proves me wrong).  The thing about KC is that it is Chiefs first and always will be, the bandwagon from their Championship runs is getting low on passengers and much of the talk is how Sammy Watkins is going to find his inner Jerry Rice with Patrick Mahomes.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Like in 2000 when we swept the Yankees at the end of the year and ended up dropping to 7th overall pick, losing out on Mark Teixiera and eventually drafting Chris Smith (Ugghhhhhh). 

I knew someone would get that reference!  Don't forget the year where we swept a final weekend (IIRC against the Yankees again) and missed out on Strasburg/Harper.  Can't remember which one it was, pretty sure that happened, too.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

And bringing Pedro Araujo to close if we happen to be up by a run and three home run hitters were coming up next. :D

Yep!  Bring in Araujo.  Or if Tillman isn't healthy, at least give Araujo the start and get down in the game early.  

1 minute ago, VickRoznovsky said:

Living here in Kansas City it is difficult.  Dayton Moore does a very good job with his team.  The consensus is that they should have started making the trades last year as Cain and Hosmer were most likely gone, but they have already traded Jay for two minor league pitchers and will not hesitate to make moves.  This years draft they got Singer, one of two pitchers that I thought fell to us, Liberatore being the other.  (but hopefully Grayson does well and proves me wrong).  The thing about KC is that it is Chiefs first and always will be, the bandwagon from their Championship runs is getting low on passengers and much of the talk is how Sammy Watkins is going to find his inner Jerry Rice with Patrick Mahomes.

I am kind of amazed by this.  The Chiefs last won the Super Bowl in what, 1970?  That is over 2 generations of not only zero titles, but I think zero super bowl appearances.  Talk about no currency.  And in fact, their playoff record has been nothing but misery for decades.  Whether they are favored or not, they just always find ways to lose playoff games.  Painful ones.  I get that its football, but wow.  The Royals should have a much bigger following, even though they were in the toilet for decades as well. 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It's a good argument for why getting the best pick is important if you're totally out of it.

7 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

I am kind of amazed by this.  The Chiefs last won the Super Bowl in what, 1970?  That is over 2 generations of not only zero titles, but I think zero super bowl appearances.  Talk about no currency.  And in fact, their playoff record has been nothing but misery for decades.  Whether they are favored or not, they just always find ways to lose playoff games.  Painful ones.  I get that its football, but wow.  The Royals should have a much bigger following, even though they were in the toilet for decades as well. 

Football is pretty big here between NFL and the Big XII (which is run much more like the Orioles) but the Royals are a far more regional team and there isn't much around once you get passed KC suburbia.  Unlike the Orioles where local fans can see young stars at Bowie or Fredrick, Aberdeen or Delmarva, the Royals fans don't make day trips to Omaha in hopes of seeing Wily Peralta or young Mondesi.  And their Double A team is in Northern Arkansas so there is a disconnect until players come up to the MLB squad.  College Basketball is also tremendously popular although Missouri's jet plane to the SEC was a bit painful.  Finally the stadium is on the outskirts of town on the East side and it is very unlike what many cities now have.  My Family loves to go to Camden Yards when we are back visiting family, there is entertainment around and a great atmosphere; we drink at Pickles Pub and enjoy the day, but here there is nothing but a Holiday Inn by the stadium and a gas station that allows parking for a price =).  Tailgating is the thing as you bring your own party but having a huge tailgate for 8 football games is a lot easier than for 81 baseball games.  Salvy is adored and people still follow the team, but it is amazing how quickly the buzz and love has fled.  For three and a half years if the Royals weren't on TV in our bar it was a sin with unbelievable punishment, but now, I can have ESPN Women's College Softball Championships on and no one says a thing.  true dat!

Archived