The Athletic: Buck Showalter's Job No Longer Secure

Rene88

16 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I bet nothing happens if the Marlins complete the sweep. Just more sitting on their hands and another day where Manny doesn't get traded.  

Oh but they have a plan... lol

What other front office in sports would do basically nothing when a team goes 19-50? It's a business and 50 losses by mid June is very bad for business. What aren't they seeing what everybody else does?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/14/2018 at 2:33 PM, gtman55 said:

Is there any way of cleaning house from Angelos to Brady to DD to Buck down to the water boys? This whole organization is horrendous.

The ghost of Jerry Hoffberger would be a huge improvement over the crap we have now.

Can we hire the ghost of Earl Weaver with the rule that he can't posses the umps who make him angry?

1 hour ago, gtman55 said:

Oh but they have a plan... lol

What other front office in sports would do basically nothing when a team goes 19-50? It's a business and 50 losses by mid June is very bad for business. What aren't they seeing what everybody else does?

It's even worse than that, going back to last September the Orioles are on a 26-71 stretch.  And there hasn't been one major change.

On 6/14/2018 at 3:19 PM, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't matter.

IMO, Buck's done enough goodwill for this franchise to go out when he wants this year.  I've said it a million times, firing him now and replacing him with an interim manager doesn't move the needle.

The bigger problems are upstairs.  Brady, the Angelos'.  We can banter back and forth on here all day along about the manager, nothing matters while Angelos is owner and Brady is in a power position.  

Until Peter Angelos is out and his sons prove that they're different...or his sons are gone, too....and Brady is gone....none of this matters.  Actually, I think the Manny trade return doesn't matter, the Jones trade return doesn't matter...none of it matters until the FO and ownership is completely overhauled and has a defined plan in place with a new, regime of smart baseball people.

Very close to how I feel. I just don't think the Franchise will ever succeed until the Angelos Family sells. Been down this road too many times to have any hope they will change.

10 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Can we hire the ghost of Earl Weaver with the rule that he can't posses the umps who make him angry?

No, go ahead and OK the possession part.  Season ticket sales will go through the roof.

25 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

It's incredible that loss after loss piles up, and nothing.  Just more nothing.

What do you want????  Are they supposed to lose twice?  They can only lose the games they play?

We are going for it.

They just aren't telling us what IT is.  

• 4 weeks later...

Periodically, this team will morph into a weird baseball-themed entertainment business unit that sells the concept of major league baseball as opposed to an actual serious and driven professional baseball organization - these cycles usually only last about 8-10 years. 

Buck should not be brought back and I think he should be replaced at the break. He has his 3000 games in now so he has accomplished enough to complete his managing career. Matheny gets let go tonight with a 47-46 record. Really !! Buck does not play to win every game and leaves pitchers in too long especially the guys in the pen. He's always trying to be several steps ahead and does not manage for the moment. Thinking ahead to who will relieve tomorrow? He refuses to play small ball when needed. A must in today's game. He appears to be married to his coaches and refuses to replace them when necessary. Coolbaugh and McDowell being the most obvious.  Why doesn't he call for a bunt against the shift many teams put on our hitters on a regular basis. Granted we won't get a HR or extra base hit if bunting successfully but it might change the other teams positioning of their fielders and pitch calling.

Archived