Fangraphs: Missing Fans

weams

5 minutes ago, atomic said:

He hasnt lead the league in home runs.   He hasnt lead it in average and he has 1 hit in 15 post season at bats.  Plus he has a forgettable face.  

But he has led the league in runs (4), SB, RBI, walks (2), OBP (2), SLG (2), OPS (2), OPS+ (4) and total bases.

You can't watch him play and miss his greatness

I have no idea what the forgettable face comment is supposed to mean..

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Jeter played in 7 World Series and 10 league championships. Trouts team has never won a playoff game. 

If Jeter played in Milwaukee nobody would have given him a second thought.   He got press becuz he played for the Yankees.

14 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

If Jeter played in Milwaukee nobody would have given him a second thought.   He got press becuz he played for the Yankees.

If the Yankees never won a playoff game during Jeter's career I doubt the 

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But he has led the league in runs (4), SB, RBI, walks (2), OBP (2), SLG (2), OPS (2), OPS+ (4) and total bases.

You can't watch him play and miss his greatness

I have no idea what the forgettable face comment is supposed to mean..

Peyton Manning has a very memorable face. So does Mike Tyson.    I wouldn't recognize Trout if he were in an elevator with me. 

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Peyton Manning has a very memorable face. So does Mike Tyson.    I wouldn't recognize Trout if he were in an elevator with me. 

So you think he needs a face tattoo?

Or maybe you don't think he's ugly enough?

Not sure how forgettabilty of faces is measured.

10 hours ago, atomic said:

Trout also plays on the West Coast so his exposure to the East Coast is limited. Some Sunday night or Saturday afternoon games on the major networks would help for sure. Fox does do some of those games in the summer but not in the Spring, and no other network does im aware of.  

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I was a ball player and making really really good money, then I would love to have a forgettable face and walk the streets without getting mobbed.

10 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you just trying to argue. You know what a memorable face is.  Some people look like a million other people some people look unique. It isn't an attractiveness thing. Some attractive people have memorable face some ugly people do as well.  

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

@MagicBird and @atomic if you guys don't get Mike Trout, you probably also don't get things like Led Zeppelin, Shawshank Redemption, meat on pizza and and 3 day weekends.

I don't eat meat on pizza.   Not a fan of Shawshank Redemption the movie. The book was good. Not sure which one you are mentioning.  Led Zeppelin songs were so overplayed. Not sure if it is that or you just outgrow them but I certainly can't stand most of their songs anymore.  I still like "Tangerine" , "Hey, Hey, What Can I Do", and "Down by the Seaside".   I also like the album Plant put out with Allison Krauss.  

3 day weekends I like.  Who wouldn't.  

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

@MagicBird and @atomic if you guys don't get Mike Trout, you probably also don't get things like Led Zeppelin, Shawshank Redemption, meat on pizza and and 3 day weekends.

I respect Mike Trout as a baseball player.  But he doesnt get the media adoration and love others have received in the past IMO.

Zeppelin I can take or leave.   Compared to rap tho Id prefer Stairway To Heaven on continuous loop.

Pizza w/o meat isnt pizza.   Give me a meatlovers + anchovies.   

4 day weekends are better . . . . 

24 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

I respect Mike Trout as a baseball player.  But he doesnt get the media adoration and love others have received in the past IMO.

I dunno where you are looking for media adoration.  You don't have to look hard at the baseball section of espn.com to see them salivating all over him, on pace to have the best season ever, etc.  Plenty has been written about him.  

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno where you are looking for media adoration.  You don't have to look hard at the baseball section of espn.com to see them salivating all over him, on pace to have the best season ever, etc.  Plenty has been written about him.  

Ok.    I dont watch BSPN much anymore except for Golic and Wingo.   But I dont remember it much in the past that way. 

14 hours ago, atomic said:

Jeter played in 7 World Series and 10 league championships. Trouts team has never won a playoff game. 

Jeter played in 158 postseason games, had 200 hits, batted .308 career, and seemingly saved every one of those 200 hits for critical close game situations where the opposing team really needed to get him out and couldn't. 

Trout has played in 3 postseason games, has 1 hit, .083 career, and saw his team swept by the damn Royals. 

The bottom line is if you play for the Yankees, and you are a fixture in October, and you deliver under pressure, then you are going to be super hyped.  Trout is a much better player than Jeter, but if you are on the west coast and October comes around and you are never there, then you won't resonate. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

What?? His stats don't even come close to Bonds 2001 and 2002 season.  His OPS is over .200 lower than Bonds best seasons.  Trout is most overrated player.

Archived