What happened to the ivy that used to grow on the CF backdrop?

Flacco Machado

It's still partly there. Close to the scoreboard. But, in the early years of OPACY, it used to be more prominent. It almost covered half the wall. Did it get some kind of disease?

When you're 20-50, these questions keep me up at night.

I miss that ivy. I really do.

9 minutes ago, Flacco Machado said:

It's still partly there. Close to the scoreboard. But, in the early years of OPACY, it used to be more prominent. It almost covered half the wall. Did it get some kind of disease?

We sent it to Wrigley Field along with Strop and Arrieta for Feldman.

41 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I remember something about it getting some disease and dying and they had to start it all over again.  I am sure someone will know the details.

Yeah I remember that too.   But that was many years ago.   

2 hours ago, TGO said:

Interesting. Thank you for the article.

You would think after 7 years though, that they would have figured out a solution in order for it to make its climb back up the wall.

It's still there, but just in that one corner.

7 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Interesting. Thank you for the article.

You would think after 7 years though, that they would have figured out a solution in order for it to make its climb back up the wall.

It's still there, but just in that one corner.

You would have thought.

I am not a flower guy, but you would think there was Ivy out there, that could take the Sun, doesn't Chicago get sun?

The park isn't completely bereft of ivy. Groundskeepers kept the vines that climb up the wall of the bleachers, perpendicular to the batter's eye façade — which, because it faces to the northwest, has the cooler, shadier conditions that make for healthier ivy.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

You would have thought.

I am not a flower guy, but you would think there was Ivy out there, that could take the Sun, doesn't Chicago get sun?

With the amount of swings and misses from O's bats, you'd think the breeze would offset the effects of the sun.

15 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Trumbo probably complained about it.

Archived