A lot of player movement coming

wildcard

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Cobly has no trade value, so highlighting him in a sarcastic remark.

But, the team saw incline to promote him, the way this season has gone, doesn't surprise me.

I just think they aren’t ready to call the kids up yet and are taking a lottery ticket chance that Colby does something. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think you are missing my point. 

If they think Stewart and/or Mullins are ready I don’t see them sending down Mancini for one of them when they can simply let Rasmus go. 

There is no way they play Rasmus instead of Jones in CF, no way. I am not sure they move Adam to a corner spot for Mullins. 

They kept Rasmus for one of or both these reasons 

-Do not think kids are ready 

-Hope he plays so well they can move him. That is a best case scenario if there ever was one.   

The reason they kept Rasmus is that Buck and DD both, I believe, have a worldview that places higher value on a veteran who has produced before than they do one someone who has never "done it" before.   

When a guy like Sisco struggles, they are far more likely to send him down than they are a veteran.   Because the veteran has "done it before" and is clearly just in a slump he needs to work out of.

That's the mindset.    It's also why Manicini has not, and probably will not, be sent down.   In their minds he proved he is a major leaguer last year, which gives him an edge on guys like Stewart and Mullins.

Just now, SteveA said:

The reason they kept Rasmus is that Buck and DD both, I believe, have a worldview that places higher value on a veteran who has produced before than they do one someone who has never "done it" before.   

When a guy like Sisco struggles, they are far more likely to send him down than they are a veteran.   Because the veteran has "done it before" and is clearly just in a slump he needs to work out of.

That's the mindset.    It's also why Manicini has not, and probably will not, be sent down.   In their minds he proved he is a major leaguer last year, which gives him an edge on guys like Stewart and Mullins.

With Sisco, I thought he had some defense things, they wanted him to work out, and the time to do that is in the minors, and not in the big leagues.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just think they aren’t ready to call the kids up yet and are taking a lottery ticket chance that Colby does something. 

I don't think so.   I think this is standard operating procedure.   Rasmus had good numbers for half a season last year then had the hip injury.   They feel he is a good player and his 13 at bats in April while he was probably hurting do nothing to dissuade them of that.

In their mind, a veteran who has performed well in the past is a good major league player until a huge preponderance of evidence over a long period PROVES he isn't anymore.   While a kid who does well in the minors hasn't proven anything at the major league level.   Veterans get the benefit of the doubt around here.   You have to collapse completely a'la Tillman and Davis before they will lose confidence in you, while a rookie or a minor leaguer gets no such benefit of the doubt.   

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I agree on the Mancini part. 

I think Rasmus is a separate case. 

4 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I don't think so.   I think this is standard operating procedure.   Rasmus had good numbers for half a season last year then had the hip injury.   They feel he is a good player and his 13 at bats in April while he was probably hurting do nothing to dissuade them of that.

In their mind, a veteran who has performed well in the past is a good major league player until a huge preponderance of evidence over a long period PROVES he isn't anymore.   While a kid who does well in the minors hasn't proven anything at the major league level.   Veterans get the benefit of the doubt around here.   You have to collapse completely a'la Tillman and Davis before they will lose confidence in you, while a rookie or a minor leaguer gets no such benefit of the doubt.   

They are 30 games under .500 and the guy has a hip issue. In general I agree with you. They love the vets but this team is toast. 

Tillman has earned some points for what he has done here. Davis has a fat contract. Colby has done nothing here.  

I find it hard to believe they think Stewart or Mullins is ready and they refuse to call them up in a lost season when the fans are desperate for something to be excited about. 

If this is the case I put it more on Brady than Buck and Dan since it looks to me like he will be the last man standing.  

My point about Rasmus is this. Who cares if he is a marginal upgrade at this point in the season. Marginal upgrades over prospects- if they are ready - make sense on contending teams not ones that are 30 games under .500.  

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

My point about Rasmus is this. Who cares if he is a marginal upgrade at this point in the season. Marginal upgrades over prospects- if they are ready - make sense on contending teams not ones that are 30 games under .500.  

We don’t have many prospects who are ready, and by calling them up you’re starting their service clock, which may be unwise.   Stewart is close to ready, but I’m fine waiting another month or two on him.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We don’t have many prospects who are ready, and by calling them up you’re starting their service clock, which may be unwise.   Stewart is close to ready, but I’m fine waiting another month or two on him.    

I think that is what they are doing. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Agree with this. At this point all playing someone like Rasmus does is stunt the growth of a younger player. The Orioles SHOULD be viewing the second half of this season as playing with house money. It's an opportunity o give all of their upper level young players a chance to play so they have a better sense of who will stick (and who won't) going into next season. Alas, we will probably continue to waste ABs on players like Rasmus, Peterson, and Valencia. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Mullins seems close too.  I would bring them up and release Rasmus.  I don't think there is any difference in service time if you bring them up now or you bring them up in a month.  

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

They may feel Trey needs to work through his issues up here. I am not saying it is crazy to send him down but he has had one full year of success. For all we know that knee may be playing a role also. 

If his knee is the issue DL him and let it heal.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If his knee is the issue DL him and let it heal.

Why do you keep raising the knee? As we discussed, Mancini hit well for more than three weeks after banging his knee.    Have you seen or heard of any evidence that his knee is still bothering him?

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Why do you keep raising the knee? As we discussed, Mancini hit well for more than three weeks after banging his knee.    Have you seen or heard of any evidence that his knee is still bothering him?

Folks want to believe an outside agency is involved in Mancini's decline.

Archived