Speculation piece lists Bundy as a player that could be traded

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

That's the thing though. I think they could be competitive again in the next 2-3 years so I'm not sure moving Bundy is the best idea. They have 4-5 OF prospects who are close, Mancini can play first, Sisco/Wynns should be able to handle catching, and they have a lot of pitching prospects with ETA's around 2020-2021. The only holes they really have are on the left side of the infield which they can hopefully fill by trading Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.  

Obviously this season's been terrible but I don't see that as a reason to go full fire sale. 

My position as well.  If the return for Machado and the other obvious trade pieces is disappointing, I might reconsider but i'm selfish and I have no interest in watching a rebuilding team struggle for several years.  Besides, total rebuilds are just so unimaginative.  Any fool can start throwing dynamite around.  It takes brains and skill to to selectively buiild on what's already there, and quicker too if it's done right.  

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, 24fps said:

My position as well.  If the return for Machado and the other obvious trade pieces is disappointing, I might reconsider but i'm selfish and I have no interest in watching a rebuilding team struggle for several years.  Besides, total rebuilds are just so unimaginative.  Any fool can start throwing dynamite around.  It takes brains and skill to to selectively buiild on what's already there, and quicker too if it's done right.  

What the Stros did sure worked out for them. 2017 WS Champions. I just want the O's to do better. Since the Stros did it then the O's should too. 

16 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

This team is 20-50. There really should not be any player off limits at this point.

Even ignoring the record, what makes people believe that any combo of talent is going to be able to compete with Boston and New York? I mean talent already in the system.

They need to do their absolute best in acquiring young cost controlled talent during this deadline and hope that some of it pans out in a year or two. 

I don't really get the logic here. The team is 20-50 with an old roster full of players that will soon no longer be on the team. No need to trade away possible building blocks. 

Also I never get the argument about Boston and New York, are we supposed to wait around until Boston and New York have a down year and try to compete. That makes no sense. 

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

What the Stros did sure worked out for them. 2017 WS Champions. I just want the O's to do better. Since the Stros did it then the O's should too. 

Would they have been able to do it without Jose Altuve, Marwin Gonzalez, and Yuli Gurriel?

6 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I don't really get the logic here. The team is 20-50 with an old roster full of players that will soon no longer be on the team. No need to trade away possible building blocks. 

Also I never get the argument about Boston and New York, are we supposed to wait around until Boston and New York have a down year and try to compete. That makes no sense. 

I don't want to trade away a building block.

The only building block I see on the 25 man roster is Scott.

57 minutes ago, MagicBird said:

Prospects and a rebuild all sounds great, until it isnt.   Prospects are just that and no way to know how they will turn out.  How well does this organization do with prospects?   What makes anybody think it will turn out so well?

I really thought the team would be better this season, which also made me think the Cashner/Cobb deals were good moves to shore up the rotation on a contending team.

But we are so far away from that now, and our one big long-term contract is committed to the worst player in baseball.

I would be much more invested in the team if they'd just completely sell off all assets at this point and begin to bring in interesting young guys whose development I can throw myself into supporting.  Spin off Manny, Gausman, and Bundy for the biggest hauls you can get.  If Cobb to sort himself out, trade him too.  It's time, because all hope for the current makeup of the team is lost.

5 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

You don't wait until Boston and New York have down years, you use them as a measuring stick of where you need to be.

Bundy and others will most likely not be in the organization when they are competitive again. 20-50 is a pretty big hill to climb when you look at the holes for the 2019 team. The front office needs to compile as much young cost controlled talent as possible between now and the start of next year. 

This is not a roster that can be augmented with a couple of free agents and some marginal minor leaguers.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't want to trade away a building block.

The only building block I see on the 25 man roster is Scott.

Before yesterday, would you have said there were two with Scott and Chance? Or are you meh on Sisco right now?

Just now, MagicBird said:

Or w/o Verlander?

My point was that if we want to do a Houston style rebuild, we likely have to do it without significant international talent in our system because we don't sign those guys.   We could trade for Verlander once we were close just like they did.   What we can't do is have an Altuve and a Gonzalez in our system because we don't go down and get those guys.

Just now, blid said:

I really thought the team would be better this season, which also made me think the Cashner/Cobb deals were good moves to shore up the rotation on a contending team.

But we are so far away from that now, and our one big long-term contract is committed to the worst player in baseball.

I would be much more invested in the team if they'd just completely sell off all assets at this point and begin to bring in interesting young guys whose development I can invest myself into.  Spin off Manny, Gausman, and Bundy for the biggest hauls you can get.  Wait however long it takes Cobb to sort himself out, and trade him too.  It's time.

Its hard to know what to make of this season.   How can they be this bad?   Its gotta be a mindset more than anything.  But last year after 22-14 it went down hill fast and they were bad.  I think the awful pitching put the whole team in a funk and its remained and carried over.

Just now, SteveA said:

My point was that if we want to do a Houston style rebuild, we likely have to do it without significant international talent in our system because we don't sign those guys.   We could trade for Verlander once we were close just like they did.   What we can't do is have an Altuve and a Gonzalez in our system because we don't go down and get those guys.

Gotcha

Archived