Speculation piece lists Bundy as a player that could be traded

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, Mondo Trasho said:

I'm old enough to remember when Erik Bedard looked like he was going to be an ace. I was against trading him at the time. In retrospect, keeping him would have been a huge mistake. 

The O's need to do some sober assessment of where the team and organization stand when it comes to competing near, moderate, and long term. If we aren't competing in two years, we'll be trading Bundy then. If someone gives us a good package now, why wait?

Erik Bedard never had the ace mentality Bundy has. Bedard was fine going his 6 innings and hitting the shower. Bundy wants to finish what he starts.

Contending isn't guaranteed. Why keep anyone?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the offer is that good, the team should consider a Bundy trade, but I'd have to be wowed. A Sale-type return is in that "wow" category.

Houston did a nice rebuild but there is no guarantee that such a strategy would work. The Astros did pull it off because they executed it very well. Other teams tried and failed.

Bundy and Gausman could be part of the core if they aim for 2020 contention--figuring they will get some useful pieces back for Britton, Machado, Jones. + a very high pick next year. Or if the offers are great for Bundy and Gausman, jump on it and aim for 2021 or beyond. 

That's some reasonable flexibility that a smart front office could exploit. Unfortunately, the front office more resembles "chaotic" than "smart."

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

You should if you think the rebuild will take longer than the years of control you have left.

If you think any rebuild should take longer than two years then you should step out of the way for someone with a healthier fear of self-fulfilling prophesies.

I don't want to trade Bundy because if the O's do, he will be sure to win the Cy Young Award.  Then I will have to read 1000's of threads about how could the O's trade a sure fire ace.  (At least with Arrieta it was highly doubtful he would be even an average starter).

8 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Erik Bedard never had the ace mentality Bundy has. Bedard was fine going his 6 innings and hitting the shower. Bundy wants to finish what he starts.

Contending isn't guaranteed. Why keep anyone?

Does anyone have prospects comparable to what we got from Seattle? Would NYY do Gleybar for Bundy? Nats probably won't deal with the O's. Maybe the Dodgers do Verdugo?

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Still, if an iffy reliever is your best building block, that’s a pretty hopeless situation.  

I think the O's have a number of guys in the minors that are close and can be useful players.  I just don't see any that I view as high end talent.

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Hays was the #21 prospect in all on baseball according to Baseball America.   Where is he now.     if the O's trade Bundy or Gausman they will be the next Arrieta and the O's will be hold their breath hoping what they get in return is anywhere as good in 4 years.      

I am not trading players that are pretty  close to sure things to help the team win  in th future for a bunch of question marks at the deadline.    Trade any of the current O's that are free agents at the end of 2018.    Watch who steps up on the farm in the next three months.  And address the issue again in the off season.

And Eloy Jimenez has just sky rocketed.  Perhaps trading for other teams prospects isn't such a bad idea.

17 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

That's the thing though. I think they could be competitive again in the next 2-3 years so I'm not sure moving Bundy is the best idea. They have 4-5 OF prospects who are close, Mancini can play first, Sisco/Wynns should be able to handle catching, and they have a lot of pitching prospects with ETA's around 2020-2021. The only holes they really have are on the left side of the infield which they can hopefully fill by trading Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.  

Obviously this season's been terrible but I don't see that as a reason to go full fire sale. 

Well thought out, but I feel as though you over-value what we have really.  Like you've seen what BOS and MFY have and/or will have, right?

17 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

That's the thing though. I think they could be competitive again in the next 2-3 years so I'm not sure moving Bundy is the best idea. They have 4-5 OF prospects who are close, Mancini can play first, Sisco/Wynns should be able to handle catching, and they have a lot of pitching prospects with ETA's around 2020-2021. The only holes they really have are on the left side of the infield which they can hopefully fill by trading Machado, Jones, Britton, Brach, etc.  

Obviously this season's been terrible but I don't see that as a reason to go full fire sale. 

I would favor a modest extension for Bundy that locks him up until the end of 2023.  Buys us time to develop Rodriguez, whoever we get for Machado this year, and whoever we draft with our very high draft pick next year, and hopefully plug them into the MLB roster before Bundy flies the coop.  

But if the FO doesn't have the wherewithal to do that, then the next best plan is to trade him within the next year for a huge return.  We might be competitive in 2021 but I doubt we get further than the WC or ALDS even then.  Organization is just too starved of talent for the foreseeable future.  At least one of Hays/Mullins/Stewart will be a bust (Hays already looking like he is, for that matter), and same goes for the pitching prospects.  

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yep, ownership doesn't want to put a subpar product on the field next year.

It's going to be subpar no matter what.  Jesus, can't they see that?  No Machado, but even more than that, missing our perennial closer and setup man.  And last year's team MVP -- Schoop -- has totally lost the plot and may never get it back.  

Archived