Manny would extend with Cubs

Dark Helmet

18 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

This is one area I believe the Cubs will have interest in. Their bullpen has been amazing so far. With that said, Wilson is not the most dependable in high pressure situations so adding another dominating lefty would be nice.

I'm sure they wouldn't turn away another lefty (i.e., Britton), but the Cubs bullpen is stacked. Morrow's injury isn't serious and they should be getting Edwards back soon too. I actually think Gausman would have more appeal because Tyler Chatwood is a ticking time bomb. He has 63 walks in 68 innings pitched this year!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, davearm said:

Agreed.  The Cubs' interest in Machado should be tepid at best right now.

It would be interesting to know how pro scouts assess Machado's defense at SS.  Obviously the metrics we as fans see look pretty awful.  Curious what the opinions within baseball are.

If other FOs view Machado as the J.D. Martinez of shortstops, then that trade comp looks more and more spot on.

I've been beating that drum for months.  It is pretty spot on, and the so far the return Detroit got looks pretty underwhelming to say the least.  I'll stick to my guns and say that if those are the kinds of offers we are getting for Manny, Angelos will cut off his nose to spite his face and keep him for the comp pick.

3 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm sure they wouldn't turn away another lefty (i.e., Britton), but the Cubs bullpen is stacked. Morrow's injury isn't serious and they should be getting Edwards back soon too. I actually think Gausman would have more appeal because Tyler Chatwood is a ticking time bomb. He has 63 walks in 68 innings pitched this year!

Prolific walk rate lol.  But yea I could see Theo being interested in Gausman based on his past success with another talented but erratic Orioles cast-off ?.  I'm all for trading him, but as has been said, the Cubs system is pretty barren and I'm looking for at least one impact guy with a high-floor, which they seem to be lacking.

16 minutes ago, joelala said:

I've been beating that drum for months.  It is pretty spot on, and the so far the return Detroit got looks pretty underwhelming to say the least.  I'll stick to my guns and say that if those are the kinds of offers we are getting for Manny, Angelos will cut off his nose to spite his face and keep him for the comp pick.

Prolific walk rate lol.  But yea I could see Theo being interested in Gausman based on his past success with another talented but erratic Orioles cast-off ?.  I'm all for trading him, but as has been said, the Cubs system is pretty barren and I'm looking for at least one impact guy with a high-floor, which they seem to be lacking.

I think most of us agree they'd have to trade from the MLB roster. Baez, Happ, Russell, etc. So Gausman alone probably wouldn't work. 

46 minutes ago, davearm said:

Agreed.  The Cubs' interest in Machado should be tepid at best right now.

It would be interesting to know how pro scouts assess Machado's defense at SS.  Obviously the metrics we as fans see look pretty awful.  Curious what the opinions within baseball are.

If other FOs view Machado as the J.D. Martinez of shortstops, then that trade comp looks more and more spot on.

I can see Machado is terrible at Short Stop. He has no range.  I don't see why the Cubs would want Manny they have good players at short and third who are young. 

27 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think most of us agree they'd have to trade from the MLB roster. Baez, Happ, Russell, etc. So Gausman alone probably wouldn't work. 

Would you do Gausman for Russell?  I know you are low on Addison but I think that would be a great trade, and Addison could be a our new JJ hardy for the next 5 years.  Was thinking about it, and their skill sets are similar.

11 minutes ago, joelala said:

Would you do Gausman for Russell?  I know you are low on Addison but I think that would be a great trade, and Addison could be a our new JJ hardy for the next 5 years.  Was thinking about it, and their skill sets are similar.

I'd make that trade. It might give us more flexibility with who we ask for in return for Machado too. We can focus more on just getting the best young package of players for him, regardless of position. 

It would probably be a very hard sell to the Cubs though because Russell is younger and under contract for more years. 

53 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd make that trade. It might give us more flexibility with who we ask for in return for Machado too. We can focus more on just getting the best young package of players for him, regardless of position. 

It would probably be a very hard sell to the Cubs though because Russell is younger and under contract for more years. 

I'd happily throw in Brach if they'd throw in a low/mid level minors guy with some upside. 

The Cubs are already talking about a 6 man rotation, after how Montgomery has pitched as a starter (1 ER in each of his 5 starts). And they've got Drew Smyly working his way back. 

Not sure how adding Gausman to the equation makes sense. Especially at the cost of a starting position player like Russell or Baez.

Britton would be an interesting get though.

3 hours ago, joelala said:

Cubs have no one worth picking at. Unless they want to trade their top three picks this year and Russell. 

52 minutes ago, weams said:

Cubs have no one worth picking at. Unless they want to trade their top three picks this year and Russell. 

So you think Gausman is worth more than Russell?  I'm not so sure about that.  I think at best they're even.

And I wouldn't be opposed at all to taking a few draft picks from this year.  I wonder if anyone ever trades their picks before that player has made their pro-debut.

10 minutes ago, DRJacobs said:

Been out of touch from the rumors for a bit because of work, anything close? I get waiting until the deadline to increase value but since they passed on trading him in the offseason and the previous deadline, I think they are risking an awful lot. If he gets hurt, this org is screwed for a very long time.

There is a good chance that if he is traded that even with the best trade, the prospects may turn out to be Felix Pie and Carl Pavano. 

2 hours ago, weams said:

There is a good chance that if he is traded that even with the best trade, the prospects may turn out to be Felix Pie and Carl Pavano

We could do worse than the next Carl Pavano. Dude had some good years.

14 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

We could do worse than the next Carl Pavano. Dude had some good years.

108 major league wins.    Not many Oriole pitchers have done that.   (Yeah, I know, wins blah blah blah.....but it’s a measure of longevity.)

Orioles still want  multiple pitching prospects. Want and what you get are usually two different things. You can;t always get what you want. But if you try too hard. You know the rest.

The Orioles are waiting for someone to do more than their due diligence. They want multiple pitching prospects despite Machado’s pending free agency. They want a team in contention to take the giant leap in an effort to win the World Series. And they’re going to stay patient, block out the ticking clock.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/this-that-and-the-other-160.html

Archived