Olney and Ravech: O's are hemorrhaging Machado's trade value

Greg Pappas

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, higgybaby said:

I’m at work.  I can’t  watch it. Can you provide a summary?

Essentially Olney said he talked with executives around baseball who believed the Orioles were hemorrhaging value for Manny Machado, by the day. He then followed that up by saying there are no perfect trades and the O's may wind up getting 60 cents on the dollar if they wait until July, like the Rangers did with Darvish.  Ravech basically agreed on all points.

5 minutes ago, joelala said:

They've resolved not to trade him unless they are blown away.  Which they won't be.  Gotta love good 'Ol Stubborn Pete.

I think they know they are not going to be blown away with any offer.   I think they  are just looking for the best deal they can find.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

I think they know they are not going to be blown away with any offer.   I think they  are just looking for the best deal they can find.

They'll figure it all out a few minutes after the trading deadline because they didn't file paperwork that had been sitting on Angelos' desk.

Outside of Britton and O'Day who need to re-establish trade value, they should be going hard trying to get Machado, Valencia, Jones, at a minimum traded ASAP.  Even if you get not a lot of value for some of those guys, they should be at least able to get something, which is a lot more than the nothing they are probably going to get once they get hurt or start slumping leading up to the deadline.  Its hard to watch an organization being run so poorly.  It takes two to trade, so I will just sit here glass full and assume no one is interested in improving their team, so its not the Os fault. 

29 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Essentially Olney said he talked with executives around baseball who believed the Orioles were hemorrhaging value for Manny Machado, by the day. He then followed that up by saying there are no perfect trades and the O's may wind up getting 60 cents on the dollar if they wait until July, like the Rangers did with Darvish.  Ravech basically agreed on all points.

But...but...but...teams get more desperate at the deadline and will be willing to give up lots more for less actual time with Manny on the team.  That was why they didn't trade him in the offseason, because the super desperation at the deadline was worth more than the ability to hit him with a QO after the season.

Can't underestimate deadline desperation!

4 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Outside of Britton and O'Day who need to re-establish trade value, they should be going hard trying to get Machado, Valencia, Jones, at a minimum traded ASAP.  Even if you get not a lot of value for some of those guys, they should be at least able to get something, which is a lot more than the nothing they are probably going to get once they get hurt or start slumping leading up to the deadline.  Its hard to watch an organization being run so poorly.  It takes two to trade, so I will just sit here glass full and assume no one is interested in improving their team, so its not the Os fault. 

What's Dan's incentive to go hard? He'll be out of a job in a few months. And Brady's incompetent so he's probably asking for the moon in return if he's involved. The organization is not only run poorly they're completely dysfunctional. It's like the baseball equivalent of Dumb and Dumber. 

I would be worried that they are right except that most trades actually are made in the week before the trade deadline.  I can see both sides of the argument for trading a position player now and for trying to build a market with more teams in on Manny as we get closer.  Just hope that they realize there really isn't a perfect deal out there at this point.

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

What's Dan's incentive to go hard? He'll be out of a job in a few months. And Brady's incompetent so he's probably asking for the moon in return if he's involved. The organization is not only run poorly they're completely dysfunctional. It's like the baseball equivalent of Dumb and Dumber. 

To get another job in baseball.

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

I would be worried that they are right except that most trades actually are made in the week before the trade deadline.  I can see both sides of the argument for trading a position player now and for trying to build a market with more teams in on Manny as we get closer.  Just hope that they realize there really isn't a perfect deal out there at this point.

Plenty of moves are made in the offseason, which is when Manny should have been traded.

7 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This.  Even if Brady isn't in contact with other GMs directly, he is still in contact with Pete and whispering to him "Manny is worth more."

Archived