Machado booed at home

Going Underground

22 hours ago, gtman55 said:

Can we just move on from Machado and get something for him now?  Or is it even possible the Orioles hold on to him and just let him walk for a draft pick? I sure hope not.

Yes it's possible Angelos won't allow Manny to be traded. He's done that before. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Jetranger said:

One of the loudest Boo's was coming from a guy right behind me in 256........he was unhappy about everything. He appeared to be in his late 50's early 60's ,besides being Drunk with a capital D he wanted to argue with the people around him including kids. If you are that distraught stay at home, you can get your drunk on much cheaper.

If he's that drunk why didn't the ushers take him out? If he is belligerent then let the police him. 

15 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Hypothetically, there's no reason a well conditioned 25 year old athlete couldn't run 90 foot sprints 4 times a day on grass/dirt for 162 days out of the year if he had to. 

He could, but you know how fickle hamstrings can be.  Especially with start-stop sprinting.

I really don't care much either way as long as he doesn't get hurt.  He should play in a big plastic ball like the kind hamsters run around in.

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The average fan is “out of touch”. Do people remember how taxing that is to start/stop run hard as hell to 1st base?  If you land on the base wrong you could break your ankle/leg. Much less doing that over a 162 game season.

Didnt Machado already once in his career hurt himself busting it down the line in a “meaningless” game?  

Doesnt he get to show his frustrations some?  He has to be Polly Positive all the time?  The team might now win 50 games. I’d be mad too. 

If you are going to use that as an excuse then taking a step off a curb could twist or break an ankle. Not  saying he has to bust his ass 100% of the time. But if announcers can see he is dogging it and fans can see it then couldn't Manny become more lazy? 

25 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

He could, but you know how fickle hamstrings can be.  Especially with start-stop sprinting.

I really don't care much either way as long as he doesn't get hurt.  He should play in a big plastic ball like the kind hamsters run around in.

Stretch and hydrate.  Seriously.  I run sprints every morning and have never had a problem with hamstrings.  I don't even stretch.  I'm not saying I'm better than anyone else but I'm not even a highly conditioned athlete with superior genes and access to the best trainers, facilities and methods around.  

On 6/27/2018 at 10:14 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Outside of Pete Rose, no one busts it up the line 100% of the time.  

And very few players are criticized for lack of hustle when they do it occasionally.  Manny does it all of the time whether it’s running out grounders or flubbing throws from the outfield (that Santander play earlier in the year).

this team should be his team to lead yet he exhibits zero leadership skills.  He has an opportunity to show young players how to play hard and play the game the right way. He is the most talented player I’ve seen play in an Orioles uniform yet I’ll be glad to see him go.  WAR (nor any other stat) doesn’t measure the residual impact his lack of leadership has in the clubhouse.  I never thought I’d think this much less say this 3-4 years ago, but I look forward to him being gone.  

7 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

And very few players are criticized for lack of hustle when they do it occasionally.  Manny does it all of the time whether it’s running out grounders or flubbing throws from the outfield (that Santander play earlier in the year).

this team should be his team to lead yet he exhibits zero leadership skills.  He has an opportunity to show young players how to play hard and play the game the right way. He is the most talented player I’ve seen play in an Orioles uniform yet I’ll be glad to see him go.  WAR (nor any other stat) doesn’t measure the residual impact his lack of leadership has in the clubhouse.  I never thought I’d think this much less say this 3-4 years ago, but I look forward to him being gone.  

First of all, I am not sure who's younger on the team that needs to be shown how to play hard or how to play the game the right way.  Let's stop pretending that anyone who gets a call-up is bright eyed, bushy tailed and has no idea how to play baseball correctly from an effort perspective and is looking to Manny Machado for answers.

The very notion of leadership in baseball is a funny one to me, especially when it comes to the perception of what a leader is to the fan base.

What is a leader?  Is it someone like Jones who's always smiling, in a good mood and is a bit outspoken?  Is it someone who has their uniform dirty all the time?  Fans love NOTHING more than to call someone a "gamer" and say they play the game the "right way".  Throwaway cliches like that make fans sit on the moral high ground to cast judgement on who's a "leader" and who isn't.

How do you know that Manny's lack of leadership has a residual impact on the clubhouse?  Is that something that's been reported as fact or is this something you'd like to believe?  Have there been any grumblings from teammates that Manny is a clubhouse cancer?  Not that I can recall.

Who's always smiling and the first one on the top step to greet someone after a homer?  Is that not leadership?   

On 6/28/2018 at 12:39 PM, Moose Milligan said:

First of all, I am not sure who's younger on the team that needs to be shown how to play hard or how to play the game the right way.  Let's stop pretending that anyone who gets a call-up is bright eyed, bushy tailed and has no idea how to play baseball correctly from an effort perspective and is looking to Manny Machado for answers.

The very notion of leadership in baseball is a funny one to me, especially when it comes to the perception of what a leader is to the fan base.

What is a leader?  Is it someone like Jones who's always smiling, in a good mood and is a bit outspoken?  Is it someone who has their uniform dirty all the time?  Fans love NOTHING more than to call someone a "gamer" and say they play the game the "right way".  Throwaway cliches like that make fans sit on the moral high ground to cast judgement on who's a "leader" and who isn't.

How do you know that Manny's lack of leadership has a residual impact on the clubhouse?  Is that something that's been reported as fact or is this something you'd like to believe?  Have there been any grumblings from teammates that Manny is a clubhouse cancer?  Not that I can recall.

Who's always smiling and the first one on the top step to greet someone after a homer?  Is that not leadership?   

Wow-did you play team sports at a high level because I did.  My experience taught me that those ahead of me set the example of what was expected.  Running hard on ground balls like Jones does set an example for me to play the game right.  When I did not, I was called out for it.  I don’t see Manny doing that, and I don’t respect him because of it.  I stand by my opinion which I draw upon from my experience.

Archived