Brady helped with plan to convert Yacabonis to starter

Going Underground

40 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Yes.  The only definition permitted was that of his six-pack.  #thedefinitionofdefinition 

4d9c6c856e36a516c6904ad2e5ff96bb--baltim

Imagine the amount of "dudes" and "bros" that would be tossed around if Brady was the GM and Gabe Kapler was the manager. They'd also need a Costco size jar of coconut oil to get them through the season. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

@Luke-OH Any thoughts on the “best FB in the system” before this get too far out of hand. 

Thanks @weams

Definitely not, I mean if you are grading on just velocity and movement, maybe he’s in the top five. Maybe.

Scott, Dietz, Harvey, Hall, Baumann, Naughton, Peralta, Teague, Hanifee, are all in that conversation. Plus Gausman, Britton, Givens, Cashner if you include non-prospects. I might be missing a few as well. (Baumann and Hanifee don’t have the raw velocity but their fastballs play well above their velo plus they’d likely throw harder in short stints.)

If you consider command of the FB as well, it’d be hard for me to put him in the top 10 in the system.

• 1 month later...
On 6/28/2018 at 11:22 AM, Going Underground said:

There will be no bigger test than Thursday against the Seattle Mariners, but that the pitching-starved Orioles are handing him such an opportunity is as much a product of that reality as the organization's vision for Yacabonis.

Vice president of baseball operations Brady Anderson helped create a consensus for the plan with Showalter, executive vice president Dan Duquette, farm director Brian Graham and pitching coach Roger McDowell. Anderson said Yacabonis mentioned the possibility last season, and the fact that the 26-year-old right-hander "has maybe the best fastball in the organization" in many of their estimations helped.

"But, he also had struggled with command," Anderson said. "You don't really get a lot of practice as a reliever, especially coming to the big leagues a few times. If you have that type of fastball, you see his body — he's got super broad shoulders, a long body, long arms, big hands. But the most critical thing is that he wanted to do it."

While it never took for Liranzo, Scott used the three-inning starts he was handed for game action, then developed a plus slider and worked on his delivery during the bullpen sessions between starts.

But that was mostly done with the goal of making them better relievers. Showalter said it can be both, but the team's needs are always for starting pitchers. Anderson said the two plans are not the same, and that "we need starting pitching.”

"He's delivered so far," Anderson said.

Anderson said the first thing Yacabonis told him was how much he liked pitching out of the windup, something he didn't do as a reliever but has helped his slider and changeup play up. It's also challenged Yacabonis to throw more strikes and attack hitters, something Showalter has pushed him to do whenever he's gotten the chance.

"Let's let this guy develop," Anderson said. "Let's not disrupt him and bring him up for an inning or two, and keep him on schedule. Because if we ever need a starter, that would be certainly more beneficial than bringing a guy up for an inning or two and sending him back down. It was done with the intention of developing Jimmy, and taking care of him simultaneously, the best way that we could."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-jimmy-yacabonis-20180628-story.html

o

(vs. RED SOX, 8/11) )) [GAME ONE]

Yacabonis was able to keep the Red Sox off of the scoreboard for the first 4 innings of the game before faltering in the 5th.

In the first 4 (shutout) innings) he faced 13 batters and recorded 12 outs, and threw )45 Pitches )(30 )Strikes, )15 )Balls.)

The mashing men from Eastern Massachusetts finally got around to roughing him up in the 5th.

o

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yacabonis is a long reliever.  He might have a future role in the organization if the coaches recognize this.  

To me, the question is whether he can go 4 or 5 innings as a spot starter, filling a need on this team that is likely to be around for a while better than other guys would.  

I guess you also could ask whether our next manager would be more willing than Buck to piece together a few relievers when a regular starter is available, in which case I think Jimmy Y. could be part of that plan.

22 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

To me, the question is whether he can go 4 or 5 innings as a spot starter, filling a need on this team that is likely to be around for a while better than other guys would.  

I guess you also could ask whether our next manager would be more willing than Buck to piece together a few relievers when a regular starter is available, in which case I think Jimmy Y. could be part of that plan.

Yacabonis could be a good fill in as spot starter.  I don’t think he’ll ever have what it takes to start every fifth day.

Maybe the next manager will convert him to an opener.  ?

I'm still wondering why a guy like Yacabonis gets a starting shot over a guy like Castro - not that Castro is any sure thing but at least he's got some potential.  Clearly, Yacabonis doesn't have the ability to go through any lineup more than once.      

21 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yacabonis is a long reliever.  He might have a future role in the organization if the coaches recognize this.  

I agree.    I think using him as a starter has been good for his development, though.    I could see him being pretty valuable in the pen going forward.   

On 6/28/2018 at 12:14 PM, Legend_Of_Joey said:

*Quickly sends Brady a gift card to GNC on Wynns behalf.*

I swear, everything seems to lead back to Brady. Soon we will hear how he was the true architect for Camden Yards...

Nah. Camden Yards is too competently, imaginatively and professionally conceived and designed.

Don't we have people who were hired to observe and assess which pitchers have the most potential to become major league starters? Shouldn't their judgment be trusted -- or, if not, shouldn't those people be replaced? What the hell is Brady Anderson doing getting involved in these decisions? What aspect of this failing organization is he going to get involved in next? Whatever he feels like, I guess. Maybe signing Adam Jones to a six-year contract. Or, having succeeded so brilliantly in turning Chris Davis back into an offensive force, converting him into the third baseman we need. 

I realize I'm over- simplifying things, but there are two basic possibilities here. Either the professionals whose job it is to decide how to develop and deploy Oriole pitchers as they advance through the minors are competent professionals, in which case they have to resent and be embittered by Brady's invasion of that precinct, or else they do need this sort of help, in which case they should have been replaced long ago. 

Somebody's got to straighten this out. There's a reason why an MLB franchise and its associated teams and employees are referred to as an "organization." Everything I know -- and there's plenty I don't know -- tells me that you need to have that quality to succeed. The Orioles don't seem to have a semblance of it. I know whose fault I think that is, but it doesn't matter. The question is who can and will fix it. I would be very surprised if John or Lou Angelos -- neither of whom, so far as I can tell, has ever organized anything other than maybe his desk or sock drawer -- can create something that works, but there's hope.  

Archived