New appreciation for Bordick

Barnaby Graves

I am as down as anyone about Mike's commentary being too glib and positive in the face of disaster.  He just had a good pre-game monologue about finding ways to lose and needing to take performance personally.  He emphasized professional intent and preparation, and I don't think we've seen enough of that from the team.  When Buck joined, I saw smarter baseball than I had seen before he took over.  I don't think we are seeing that as much, and there's a talent deficit besides.  Hopefully whomever is running the team next year, on the field and in the office, refocuses the Orioles on smart baseball.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

He also specifically called out Jonathan Schoop as someone who needs to improve in this area. Very interesting.

Schoop looks like someone who allowed stardom to give him a big head, too fast. He had an unbelievable year last year, and his star was rising as the best 2B in the game. 

Then, the "bad advice" from his agent before fanfest. Then, the slow start and the oblique injury.

He needs a refocused off season. Which includes, a new fitness and strength program. He looks like he's starting to enjoy the perks of MLB clubhouse food.

I don't see that innocent, fun-loving guy anymore. The Orioles season will do that to a guy. But, still.

Anyway, that's just my personal observation, playing couch pyschiatrist.

1 hour ago, Aglets said:

Seems like Buck has lost the team........not really sure how else to explain the colossal implosion from every angle.

At this point, they're just playing it out.  Everyone knows this was the last ride of this iteration of our team.  It'll be scattered to the winds in the coming weeks and months.  Nothing to do now but pass the time.

2 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

Schoop looks like someone who allowed stardom to give him a big head, too fast. He had an unbelievable year last year, and his star was rising as the best 2B in the game. 

Then, the "bad advice" from his agent before fanfest. Then, the slow start and the oblique injury.

He needs a refocused off season. Which includes, a new fitness and strength program. He looks like he's starting to enjoy the perks of MLB clubhouse food.

I don't see that innocent, fun-loving guy anymore. The Orioles season will do that to a guy. But, still.

Maybe Schoop is depressed because he knows this is the last year he will be playing with his best friend.

My problem with Bordick is that he won't shut up. Maybe he was instructed to start talking when Thorne stops and not stop until just before the next pitch. I don't see him adding anything from an analysis standpoint. Plus he acts like he is doing a radio broadcast. People watching the games on TV can see what is going on. We don't need Bordick to describe what happened on simple ground-outs.

When Bordick is doing the TV broadcasts, I've been watching the other teams' broadcasts. None of those guys in the broadcast booths blather on and on just to hear themselves talk.

2 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

I will never like Schoop after what he did regarding Fanfest.

This is somewhat off topic, but watching Jones get a relatively good jump on a ball today reminded me of this Wall Street Journal article form last year. It is behind a pay wall, but the article describes how Byron Buxton saw from Statcast data that he was getting rather mediocre jumps on balls.  He then spent the off season working with his high school coach to improve that part of his game.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-tracking-technology-helped-baseballs-best-fielding-outfielder-1505923095

There are, of course, lots of things that go into performing at this level. But I think that it helps if your game becomes the obsessive focus of your life for a chunk of years.

2 hours ago, Aglets said:

Seems like Buck has lost the team........not really sure how else to explain the colossal implosion from every angle.

He may have. But shouldn't pro baseball players have enough pride to play the way they're supposed to? 

15 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Can someone explain to me what the big deal is about Fanfest? Even if missing it is unprofessional, how does that translate to a guy hitting .200?

I have never been. Might have been nice I guess to get him to sign a baseball. Those happenings are way to crowded for me.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

He also specifically called out Jonathan Schoop as someone who needs to improve in this area. Very interesting.

Tony have you heard Schoop came into camp not in the best shape? Two people I know said that is what happened. Dont really care if he shows up to Fanfest ;,but not in the best shspe is worse 

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

My guess is this - Buck has lost a section of the clubhouse that includes Manny Machado, and by extension Machado's BFF Schoop.

I think the problems stem from Machado, Machado's agent Dan Lozano, Alex Rodriguez who is giving business advice (and he is a good businessman), and the Orioles front office who has handled the whole situation very poorly.  Yes I think all of this is having a major impact on the team this season.  Ninety percent of baseball is half mental.  And besides, Manny is playing freaking shortstop where he is an average defender at best.

And this is very bad for Schoop.  Jonathan is losing millions of dollars in money this year with his poor performance.

Archived