Nick's an All Star

25 Nuggets

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Yup, more egg on the faces of this front office.

No.

They offered three years to a guy with declining numbers on offense and defense and injury concerns.  Another team gave him four years in a deal no one in the industry thought was good.  Nick puts up three serviceable seasons and then has a huge outlier year in year four.

The O's made the right choice just sometimes the right choice doesn't work out.

They did make a mess at finding a replacement but that is a separate issue.

7 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

Yup, more egg on the faces of this front office.

Sometimes a move can be the right decision, but the aftermath is the wrong one.  Letting Nick go, while tough to do for many reasons, was the right call because of his neck and the length of the deal, the problem has been the O's have done absolutely nothing successful to replace him.  The 2015 plethora of crap, Trumbo's defense, everything the last year and this year, the O's just haven't found a good way of replacing Nick by any means available.  The same is likely going to be true of Manny.  Trading him will be the right move for the course of the team, but production wise, I won't be shocked if they never truly replace him.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

They offered three years to a guy with dealing numbers on offense and defense and injury concerns.  Another team gave him four years in a deal no one in the industry thought was good.  Nick puts up three serviceable seasons and then has a huge outlier year in year four.

The O's made the right choice just sometimes the right choice doesn't work out.

They did make a mess at finding a replacement but that is a separate issue.

I disagreed at the time BEFORE we saw the aftermath and I disagree now.  If the plan had been after our best season in 30 years  “we are going to create a hole in right field after winning the division and then we are going to upgrade this roster by doing X”, then I might agree it made sense.  But they did not.  They created a hole and never had any rational plan about what to do next, because Dan was in bed with Toronto and the old man was on the warpath.

You call 3 seasons of playing every day on a rebuild team “serviceable”..I call it  remarkably important to where the young Braves are now.  Baseball does not value character, leadership, morale, camaraderie or nonmeasurable things like that, but Nick was arguably the most popular Oriole, a warrior, coming out of our best season in 30 years and the Os management nitpicks  some irrelevant health issue to save two cents that did not go at all into upgrading the team.

People justify it now because that is what some of us as fan GMs wanted to do then, but some of us knew that there was no way the real owner and real GM were going to upgrade the team in right field...and they haven’t. 

5 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I disagreed at the time BEFORE we saw the aftermath and I disagree now.  If the plan had been after our best season in 30 years  “we are going to create a hole in right field after winning the division and then we are going to upgrade this roster by doing X”, then I might agree it made sense.  But they did not.  They created a hole and never had any rational plan about what to do next, because Dan was in bed with Toronto and the old man was on the warpath.

You call 3 seasons of playing every day on a rebuild team “serviceable”..I call it  remarkably important to where the young Braves are now.  Baseball does not value character, leadership, morale, camaraderie or nonmeasurable things like that, but Nick was arguably the most popular Oriole, a warrior, coming out of our best season in 30 years and the Os management nitpicks  some irrelevant health issue to save two cents that did not go at all into upgrading the team.

People justify it now because that is what some of us as fan GMs wanted to do then, but some of us knew that there was no way the real owner and real GM were going to upgrade the team in right field...and they haven’t. 

Going back in time, lets look at thing.

Cakes making $15m for 2 seasons, and his WAR was .1 and 1.8.

Many of us, love Cakes, but felt, he was trending downwards, and he wasn't worth a 4 year deal. I believe at the time, only the Braves was the only team willing to go 4.

Since then, he has posted, 1.7, 1.7, .7 and 3.0.

Hindsight, if I had forecasted the problems with his replacements, I would have agreed it was better to keep him.

But at the time, the business side of things leaned towards this being the right deal, just like Cruz and his deal.

Sucks, when hindsight proves us wrong, but whats worse, being like Davis, and keeping the guy, and not getting your money's worth?

Archived