Nick's an All Star

25 Nuggets

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This message board would have a conniption fit if we had signed him and he'd put up the past three seasons in an Orioles uniform.  In hindsight it looks like gross incompetence only because this team has failed miserably to find a good replacement.  Had we found a good replacement, no one would care.  

Anyway, I am happy for Nick, he deserves it.  Deserved it a few times here so I hope he continues to produce.  

No one could tell that he'd have this good of a year.  If anyone's sitting here saying we should have kept Markakis and they would have been happy with his output for the past three years in an Orioles uniform, you're lying your ass off.

Pot, meet kettle.

Is there anyway to block you and Can of Corn? I have looked but I can't find anything. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, atomic said:

Is there anyway to block you and Can of Corn? I have looked but I can't find anything. 

Sure there is.  I mean, if you don't like it when people disagree with you, you'll probably wind up blocking half the board.  Keep looking, you'll find it.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Sure there is.  I mean, if you don't like it when people disagree with you, you'll probably wind up blocking half the board.  Keep looking, you'll find it.

I don't have any problem disagreeing with people.  

Just now, ChuckWilliams said:

Moose and Atomic, you're both acting like assholes. Agree to disagree and move on.

Moderators, you can thank me for stepping in.

ChuckWilliams, This board has a no profanity policy.

1 minute ago, ChuckWilliams said:

Moose and Atomic, you're both acting like assholes. Agree to disagree and move on.

I'm having fun.  And if a moderator is going to get upset with me, they're also probably going to get upset for using bad language on the board.  Might want to clean that up.  Don't say I didn't do you any favors.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Are you as upset about this as I am?

I'm devastated.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I find myself arguing against my favorite player, but I have to say that if we’d had Nick instead of Trumbo in 2016, I doubt we would have won the wild card spot.    Trumbo had 1.9 rWAR, 2.1 fWAR compared to 1.7 and 1.2 for Nick.   Putting that aside, Trumbo’s 47 HR and 108 RBI were a big component of our offense that year.    

How do you factor in Trumbo's significant negative defensive WAR that season into the equation?  Baseball Reference had Trumbo at -2.1 WAR that season and Nick at 0.3.  While Trumbo's offense was significant that year, his defense was simply not good in any way shape or form save for outfield assists, and even though 2016 was a low year by Nick Markakis standards, he was always and still is one of the best in the game at turning assists.  Not to mention that even for his declined range, Nick just knew how to play right field at Camden Yards, and wasn't afraid of hitting the wall. 

2 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

How do you factor in Trumbo's significant negative defensive WAR that season into the equation?  Baseball Reference had Trumbo at -2.1 WAR that season and Nick at 0.3.  While Trumbo's offense was significant that year, his defense was simply not good in any way shape or form save for outfield assists, and even though 2016 was a low year by Nick Markakis standards, he was always and still is one of the best in the game at turning assists.  Not to mention that even for his declined range, Nick just knew how to play right field at Camden Yards, and wasn't afraid of hitting the wall. 

I am pretty sure baseball reference or fangraphs (can't remember which) takes defense into consideration for their WAR totals.  I think what brother Frobby was getting at is even when taking defense into account, Trumbo had a better year.  

2 minutes ago, ShaneDawg85 said:

dWAR doesn't equal oWAR doesn't equal WAR.  This is why Trumbo's 3.0 oWAR added to his -2.1 dWAR = 1.9 rWAR.

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I am pretty sure baseball reference or fangraphs (can't remember which) takes defense into consideration for their WAR totals.  I think what brother Frobby was getting at is even when taking defense into account, Trumbo had a better year.  

Although my memory may be wrong, I feel like Trumbo also had a lot of very timely hits that year.  Home runs late in tight ballgames.  I know that his 2-run homer was the only offense generated in the "playoff" loss to Toronto. 

I don't get the argument here.  Nick making the All-Star team as a starter is a great thing for a former Oriole and I am thrilled for him.  That said, I was glad the Orioles did not do a 4 year deal with him.  It is really ironic that year 4 is the best year he has had in Atlanta.  Good for him.

But if he had the exact same 4 years in Baltimore it would not have been a great thing.  Too many people equate our failure to have a good RF over the last 4 years to his departure.  But situation is as much because of Chris Davis as it is a failure to have a good RF.  Singing Trumbo to replace Davis and then resigning both has created a log jam that has tied our hands.  I'm not saying that losing Nick has not left us with a hole that is still there...I'm just saying that making that direct argument fails to consider other moves made and of course not made.  Equating Nick's year 4 production backwards also makes the image that the hole in RF in Baltimore could have been filled brilliantly by Nick.  His actual production over the four year run is remarkable for his continued health mostly and his outstanding play THIS year.

It was not a mistake to pass on 4 years.  It was a poorly handled decision.  Nick has stayed healthy for the full 4 years.  I miss him as an Oriole.  I am thrilled he is an All-Star for Atlanta.  These are facts and things get muddy when we equate other moves into the mix.  

I am impressed.  Usually it takes more effort to tick someone off.  I do not know what your issue is or issues are or what I could have possibly done to offend you.  However I do apologize if I somehow hurt you.  And I wish you well in your future endeavors.  And I do so in high confidence that those endeavors will not be here.

So again, I say Goodbye. 

Mods once Chuck is erased you may feel free to do so here as well.  Thanks for the quick reaction.

Archived