Big time talk from Dan

eddie83

For those questioning why we never went forward with the OBP approach, keep in mind we had guys under contract at nearly every position.  The one exception was signing Rasmus over Jay, but who knows what really happened there?  With this rebuild we have a chance to clear out most of the roster and start from scratch with the new approach.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

For those questioning why we never went forward with the OBP approach, keep in mind we had guys under contract at nearly every position.  The one exception was signing Rasmus over Jay, but who knows what really happened there?  With this rebuild we have a chance to clear out most of the roster and start from scratch with the new approach.

Dan was talking up OBP from day one.  He had time to implement.  He did sign Kim, draft Stewart and add Rickard but that isn't very much.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Dan was talking up OBP from day one.  He had time to implement.  He did sign Kim, draft Stewart and add Rickard but that isn't very much.

Well of course they did resign Davis.  ⚾

I read Dan's comments, and frankly didn't see any commitment on spending more bonus pool money.  He talked about investing in international scouting, international resources, facilities, etc.   As some here have noted, he has said this before.  Until we start spending and trading FOR bonus pool money, call me a skeptic.  We're only 2 weeks out from the last international scouting period and we haven't heard of one international signing.  If this has been in the works for some time, you'd think they'd be able to do something.  

I also like what I am hearing.  My concerns are this:

1.  The inability to get a RF in 4 years

2.  The obvious lack of on base skills despite it being a stated goal

3.  The lack of self awareness of the team (going for it in 2015, 2017)

4.  The fact that he is not a great communicator and that has, at least in perception, led to usurpation of his authority within the organization.

I have said myself that if they are going to put Dan in charge of the tear down they need extend him, give him some skin in the game.  That said my hope at this point is that extension runs for only 2 years, 3 at max.

9 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Is that for this year or 2019? I'm not exactly sure how the international slot money works, but if it is for this year are any of the top guys still available?

I'll let the experts answer these nuances. 

37 minutes ago, connja said:

I read Dan's comments, and frankly didn't see any commitment on spending more bonus pool money.  He talked about investing in international scouting, international resources, facilities, etc.   As some here have noted, he has said this before.  Until we start spending and trading FOR bonus pool money, call me a skeptic.  We're only 2 weeks out from the last international scouting period and we haven't heard of one international signing.  If this has been in the works for some time, you'd think they'd be able to do something.  

5 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Is that for this year or 2019? I'm not exactly sure how the international slot money works, but if it is for this year are any of the top guys still available?

They still have all of their slot money for this signing period for all players who are eligible to sign between July 2, 2018 and July 1, 2019. 

The top player in this year's crop, Victor Victor Mesa, isn't available to sign yet, but should be within a couple months (Cuban defector). The Orioles, if they want to make a big splash, will likely have the biggest budget of any team in baseball to go after him.

Going after 16 year old players will take time even if they've already changed their philosophy, for example, it's rumored that the top player in next year's group already has a deal in place and has likely been scouted since he was 12.

4 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

Before I get too excited, this could easily be Dan's pitch to ownership. We don't know if ownership backs him and agrees that this is the way forward.

You really think he said all of this without ownership approval? 

He said directly that all these changes have support of ownership.  

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

They still have all of their slot money for this signing period for all players who are eligible to sign between July 2, 2018 and July 1, 2019. 

The top player in this year's crop, Victor Victor Mesa, isn't available to sign yet, but should be within a couple months (Cuban defector). The Orioles, if they want to make a big splash, will likely have the biggest budget of any team in baseball to go after him.

Going after 16 year old players will take time even if they've already changed their philosophy, for example, it's rumored that the top player in next year's group already has a deal in place and has likely been scouted since he was 12.

Thanks for the info! Is Mesa expected to sign a contract like Cespedes and Puig, and are the O's expected to pursue him?

2 minutes ago, baltimoreO's22 said:

Thanks for the info! Is Mesa expected to sign a contract like Cespedes and Puig, and are the O's expected to pursue him?

No, with the current rules he's limited by the bonus pool amounts unless a team wants to incur a strict penalty. The Orioles have 5.5 million and if current reporting on signings is correct, they have all of it left and no other team still has that much.

Archived