The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

3 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

Not timetable on the Lemahieu injury. It might be a rough fit with Schoop and Lemahieu, but this would be  a great trade for the Rockies. The peak of their window likely closes after 2019, since Arenado will probably be gone. Lemahieu being an upcoming free agent, Schoop would give them a better team for next year and maximizes their potential to win. They are a pitching starved team and Gausman presents himself as a solid rotation reinforcement(his fastball/splitter combo would probably play well in the high altitude compared to breaking ball guys). I don't know if we would take back lemahieu, but this would certainly give Colorado their best chance to win a ring.

A package centered around Rodgers and two of McMahon/Lambert/Hampton would probably get the deal done along with a solid fourth piece.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If he isn't traded he'll be their staring 2b in 2019. Or they'll use Hampson as a stop gap to start the season then call up Rodgers mid-season. 

When Rodgers was in high school, scouts debated whether he was a long-term shortstop. The consensus now is that while he doesn’t have the quickness and range teams typically desire there, his arm strength and instincts allow him to get the job done at short. He could be a solid defender at second or third base, though Nolan Arenado blocks him at the hot corner in Colorado.

Yes, I’m with you, Rodgers as the Rockies starting 2B in 2019 is the most likely scenario and if I’m a Rockies fan, I’m not wanting them to trade Rodgers. But if they value Gausman as much as it seems like they do, the Orioles should be asking for Rodgers in return (it would be a no-brainer if he could be obtained). I’m sure Rodgers is not the only path to a trade with the Rockies, but if he’s not included in the deal, it feels like one of the other suitors could beat a non-Rodgers Rockie offer (Braves, Brewers, Yankees, etc.). 

On 7/24/2018 at 2:04 PM, Thato'sfan said:

A package centered around Rodgers and two of McMahon/Lambert/Hampton would probably get the deal done along with a solid fourth piece.

For Schoop and KG 

id want Rodgers, Lambert, Garcia , Gaddis, and Boswell

9 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

For Schoop and KG 

id want Rodgers, Lambert, Garcia , Gaddis, and Boswell

Well they're probably not going to trade their top pitching prospect. A blocked Welker (3b) seems like a more realistic target. Or maybe one of their second tier pitching prospects like Pint or Rolison. 

All that said I really like the idea of packaging Schoop and Gausman to the Rockies. I think it's a trade that could help both teams. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Well they're probably not going to trade their top pitching prospect. A blocked Welker (3b) seems like a more realistic target. Or maybe one of their second tier pitching prospects like Pint or Rolison. 

All that said I really like the idea of packaging Schoop and Gausman to the Rockies. I think it's a trade that could help both teams. 

I agree with a trade to the Rockies. I actually think they would not have to include Rogers or Lambert. If they wanted to offer Pint, Rolison, Tyler, Hampson and Vilade, I could get behind that deal.

On 7/19/2018 at 1:37 PM, Luke-OH said:

His value is significant with 2 years of control remaining and his premium stuff (some teams see a greater upside). I think his value is at least on par with Sonny Gray last year. Gray returned 3 top 100 prospects (although two were injured at the time). 

Since the Orioles have announced a rebuild, I think it's smart to move controllable pieces if they have significant value. There isn't much in the way of available controllable starters, especially if the Mets don't decide to move one of their elite starters.

Repeating this, but AGREED! :)

13 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Repeating this, but AGREED! :)

And this is the ultimate test of this FO's will. It was a no brainer to trade Machado and Britton, along with the expiring contract for a return that was better than a comp pick. Mission accomplished and well done. Now we are at the real crossroads. We have at least two even more valuable trade chips, due to control, in Schoop and Gausman. If that opportunity is capitalized on now, or in the offseason, then the commitment is real. If not, then not so much. IMO, Schoop and Gausman will probably never have higher trade value than they have right now. We shall see.

As radio callers would say when they 1st call in im a long time reader 1st time poster. Really enjoy the board and everyone's opinions, so cool to see so many die hard Orioles fans. My thoughts on Gausman trade feel as tho most real life trades especially around deadline focus on one player packages. I also feel you tend to get more when seperating deals. So here is my trade idea for Gausman look forward to hearing peoples thoughts. Gausman to A's for #2 prospect 23yo SP A.J. Puk as headliner plus #12 prospect 23yo SS Richie Martin, #16 prospect 22yo SP Grant Holmes and last piece #25 prospect 21yo SP Hogan Harris.

42 minutes ago, HammondsDavis said:

As radio callers would say when they 1st call in im a long time reader 1st time poster. Really enjoy the board and everyone's opinions, so cool to see so many die hard Orioles fans. My thoughts on Gausman trade feel as tho most real life trades especially around deadline focus on one player packages. I also feel you tend to get more when seperating deals. So here is my trade idea for Gausman look forward to hearing peoples thoughts. Gausman to A's for #2 prospect 23yo SP A.J. Puk as headliner plus #12 prospect 23yo SS Richie Martin, #16 prospect 22yo SP Grant Holmes and last piece #25 prospect 21yo SP Hogan Harris.

Appreciate your thoughts, but think you are asking too much in return.  Maybe I'm wrong.

I do think Puk is high not sure who i like in the A's system in the 3 to 10 range tho to sub for Puk. But they are hot and could catch Seattle. Looking at the rotation if they won wildcard game Gausman would pitch in next series. I think he could be a help to them Billy Beane takes his shots when he gets the chance to compete

Just now, HammondsDavis said:

I do think Puk is high not sure who i like in the A's system in the 3 to 10 range tho to sub for Puk. But they are hot and could catch seattle and looking at the rotation if they won wildcard game Gausman would pitch in series could be a help to them Billy Beane takes his shots when he gets the chance to compete

Puk is out for the year. Holmes has been out all year. They ain't passing the medicals. Also, I think that wouldn't be enough for Gausman. We undervalue KG.

Archived