The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, NJOriolesFan said:

Gray was 7 games over .500, had a 3.61 FIP and was 26 years old prior to the trade.

Gausman is 9 games under .500, has a 4.14 FIP and is 27 years old.

All signs point to Gausman getting a lower return than the A's got for Gray

I would still see who we could get but I'm not certain it would be enough to justify it.

Gray is now 28 did he have two birthdays in the last year?

I'm all for trading Gausman if we can get a nice haul for him. Honestly I'm ok with trading just about anyone on the ML roster if it means we can get back to being competitive sooner. 

If the FO is really going to do a rebuild, they need to identify who stays and who goes. Unless we get blown away by the trade deadline I don't think we'll see Gausman moved until the off season.

The odd thing is that the team that may need starting pitching the most and is right in the thick of the race now after a start is the A's and Gausman seems just like a guy Beane would go after.

Gray had better numbers but also had some injuries that had plagued him over the last two years and a decrease in velocity  while Gausman pretty much takes the ball every 5th day over his career once plugged into the rotation.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree that Gray was more attractive than Gausman is now.   Would I listen to offers?    You betcha.

There were better SP options last year. Who's a better option this year if the Mets don't trade DeGrom and they wont. The MFY might like Gausman.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree that Gray was more attractive than Gausman is now.   Would I listen to offers?    You betcha.

There was plenty of doubt with Gray after his poor 2016. I think when you look at Gray last year and Gausman now, Gray had the lower floor of performance. Gray had a higher peak performance, but I think if you asked scouts about who they'd rather have going forward, I think many (>50%) would pick Gausman. 

2 minutes ago, vab said:

One big reason Gray had better numbers than Gausman is he wasn't pitching half of his games in Camden Yards. Teams will factor that in.

Will they factor in the fact that Gausman’s career ERA is over a run better at Camden Yards compared to pitching on the road?

7 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

There were better SP options last year. Who's a better option this year if the Mets don't trade DeGrom and they wont. The MFY might like Gausman.

The Yankees, A's and Rockies make the most sense of the teams in it.  

The Rockies make a lot of sense to me they need another pitcher for front of rotation with Gray's struggle and have some extra pieces for infield prospects.  Rodgers is a stud with no where to play with the Rockies having Story and Arenado on the left side locked up.  Would they move him for a Gausman.  Rodgers would fit right in with the younger talent now in Bowie and soon to be Fredrick.  

5 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Gray was born in November - so the answer is yes …… :).

Gray is currently 28 he was traded July 31st 2017 it is now July 19th 2018 less then a year from the trade and he had two birthdays in less then a year.  Please tell me how in the world that happened

5 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

The Rockies make a lot of sense to me they need another pitcher for front of rotation with Gray's struggle and have some extra pieces for infield prospects.  Rodgers is a stud with no where to play with the Rockies having Story and Arenado on the left side locked up.  Would they move him for a Gausman.  Rodgers would fit right in with the younger talent now in Bowie and soon to be Fredrick.  

Rodgers is the type of guy you go for in a Gausman trade, I think.

7 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

If I remember correctly, the Rockies have been interested in Gausman for awhile.

Archived