The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

My struggle with those on here concerned about a competitive 2019 team is this: we are attempting to fix a problem with the foundation of this franchise, one that has existed for a long time. Rarely can you make significant changes to the foundation while the house remains. Sometimes, as painful as it can be, you gotta tear the house down. Put me firmly in the team of trade everyone with somewhat expiring value. Whether that be now or in the off-season, let the packages dictate that. But no one should be off limits.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't say competitive.  Competitive to me means a team that wins as much or more than it loses.  I said respectable/watchable, lol.  Like, hey we only lost 90 instead of 115.  I just they have bigger fish to fry over the next 11 days than Gausman, and I think his value should stay comparable to what it is now into 2020.  Pretty sure he's a FA after 2021.  So there's a risk he could get hurt or blow up, but I think it's just as likely that he performs as he has or even gets better.  They need somebody to pitch, you can't trade everyone.

2 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

My struggle with those on here concerned about a competitive 2019 team is this: we are attempting to fix a problem with the foundation of this franchise, one that has existed for a long time. Rarely can you make significant changes to the foundation while the house remains. Sometimes, as painful as it can be, you gotta tear the house down. Put me firmly in the team of trade everyone with somewhat expiring value. Whether that be now or in the off-season, let the packages dictate that. But no one should be off limits.

During last nights phone conference Duquette indicated things are going to change. 

The Orioles are going to start investing in international talent, beef up scouting staff and embrace analytics.

The organization needs to follow through, but it looks like ownership has recognized the current model isn’t working. 

Just now, esmd said:

I didn't say competitive.  Competitive to me means a team that wins as much or more than it loses.  I said respectable/watchable, lol.  Like, hey we only lost 90 instead of 115.  I just they have bigger fish to fry over the next 11 days than Gausman, and I think his value should stay comparable to what it is now into 2020.  Pretty sure he's a FA after 2021.  So there's a risk he could get hurt or blow up, but I think it's just as likely that he performs as he has or even gets better.  They need somebody to pitch, you can't trade everyone.

Nope, Gausman is a free agent after 2020. Bundy is a free agent after 2021.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

During last nights phone conference Duquette indicated things are going to change. 

The Orioles are going to start investing in international talent, beef up scouting staff and embrace analytics.

The organization needs to follow through, but it looks like ownership has recognized the current model isn’t working. 

Whether Duquette is here in 6 months is still an open question.

2 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

Gotcha.  So'd I'd consider moving Gausman next July or the following winter.  Unless he gets seriously hurt or goes completely in the tank, his value should be similar to what it is now.  Sure there is risk, but there is also risk in trading him and having an Ubaldo or Wade Miley type getting destroyed every outing and further killing your casual fanbase.

IMO the O's will be sorry if they trade Gausman.  It will make the rebuild longer.   If the O's improve the defense it will help the whole pitching staff  as a whole including Gausman.    At 27, the O's might be able to extend Gausman for 5 years.  Years 28-32.   

I would like a two or three year rebuild.  Not a 5 years one or more.

10 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

FWIW, baseballreference.com lists Gausman entering the season with 3 years service time and free agent in 2021, and Bundy at 2022.  Gausman’s first arbitration year is 2019. 

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

FWIW, baseballreference.com lists Gausman entering the season with 3 years service time and free agent in 2021, and Bundy at 2022. 

So this is his fourth. 2020 will be his sixth. FA for the 2021 season.

I would love to trade Gausman, Bundy and Givens but look how long it took for the Manny trade there is little chance they can do that and Jones and Britton and Danny V. 

I give the chance of them being moved less than 20%. I have little confidence they can walk and chew gum at the same time.

4 minutes ago, Chito said:

So this is his fourth. 2020 will be his sixth. FA for the 2021 season.

No he will be at 4 years at the start of 2019, 5th year to begin 2020. If his first arbitration season is 2019, his third is 2021. Again, that’s what is listed. 

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

FWIW, baseballreference.com lists Gausman entering the season with 3 years service time and free agent in 2021, and Bundy at 2022. 

Right, three years service time entering 2018, so four years after 2018, five years after 2019, six years after 2020. Gausman is a free agent for the 20-21 offseason. I think it makes more sense to represent that as a free agent in 2020, Baseball Reference disagrees.

Archived