The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, MSBird said:

A deal centered around Brendan Rodgers would be a huge win. Unless the Rockies decide to flip Arenado (if they don’t think they can resign him) 2B is the only spot open for Rodgers. If Gausman’s value is to the point that it could net Rodgers+, that’s a move you have to make. Even if Gausman takes a big step forward in the next year or two, I’d rather have a controlled Rodgers when the next competitive window opens (hopefully 2020-21) instead of having to pay up for Gausman. I’d take the risk of dealing Gausman now, even if there’s a chance he blows up and further increases his trade value before FA, if it nets prospect/s of Rodgers caliber. 

If the Rockies aren't willing to part with Rodgers for a starter with 2 years of control, then the Orioles shouldn't even take the call.  There is a big drop off for the Rockies after their top 7.  Other names I like (but nowhere near the caliber of Rodgers) include Welker and Hampson.  Their pitchers aren't that impressive though.  

21 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

If the Rockies aren't willing to part with Rodgers for a starter with 2 years of control, then the Orioles shouldn't even take the call.  There is a big drop off for the Rockies after their top 7.  Other names I like (but nowhere near the caliber of Rodgers) include Welker and Hampson.  Their pitchers aren't that impressive though.  

Britton for Welker (plus a body or bodies) would be a great deal for us. Welker's performing well, and he's only 20. 

24 minutes ago, orioles119 said:

I'd prefer Rodgers, but I'd be intrigued if they offered Dahl. Also, didn't they have Ryan McMahon taking reps at 3B? 

26 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'd prefer Rodgers, but I'd be intrigued if they offered Dahl. Also, didn't they have Ryan McMahon taking reps at 3B? 

I'd have to wonder if his big league time has left Colorado a bit down on McMahon. I'd be interested in building a package around him. He's got some potential flexibility for 2B or 3B and could fit into the picture now and start developing with consistent ABs in the majors. That could also push Schoop out the door, particularly if he keeps hitting better.

Would COL include McMahon in a deal for Britton?

3 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

I'd have to wonder if his big league time has left Colorado a bit down on McMahon. I'd be interested in building a package around him. He's got some potential flexibility for 2B or 3B and could fit into the picture now and start developing with consistent ABs in the majors. That could also push Schoop out the door, particularly if he keeps hitting better.

Would COL include McMahon in a deal for Britton?

I doubt it. I think Gausman would have to be in play to have a legit shot at landing one of their top prospects. 

2 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

The next 8 days are going to be very exciting.  

They are mostly going to be excruciatingly boring IMO.    Reading hourly tweets from this pundit or that one about how this team or that one is interested in one of our players, and then dozens of posts speculating and arguing about what the return will be.     I find it all very tiresome, personally.     99% of it has no relation to whatever actually happens.   If it were up to me, I’d go to some desert island with no internet service, and just return next Tuesday at 4 and find out what actually happened.    Then I’d have a fun day or two assessing the players we got in return, before returning to the misery that is Orioles baseball in 2018.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They are mostly going to be excruciatingly boring IMO.    Reading hourly tweets from this pundit or that one about how this team or that one is interested in one of our players, and then dozens of posts speculating and arguing about what the return will be.     I find it all very tiresome, personally.     99% of it has no relation to whatever actually happens.   If it were up to me, I’d go to some desert island with no internet service, and just return next Tuesday at 4 and find out what actually happened.    Then I’d have a fun day or two assessing the players we got in return, before returning to the misery that is Orioles baseball in 2018.

Well...yeah.  But in relation to the actual games and the 28-100 record in those games, the constant "news" this week will seem exciting.  ?

3 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Well...yeah.  But in relation to the actual games and the 28-100 record in those games, the constant "news" this week will seem exciting.  ?

Yeah, I suppose.    I feel like my summer has been stolen.    I can’t even bear to watch the games.   Yesterday I was following periodically on my phone, saw that the O’s were winning 4-1 in the 8th, and thought to myself that if the O’s were still winning going into the 9th I’d turn on the TV and watch.    Never did turn it on, obviously, and thank God I didn’t witness that ridiculous meltdown.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I feel like my summer has been stolen.     

This is how I feel as well.  It's not so much that we stink, as it is we are SO bad that my excitement for the game is gone.  So yeah, like you, I feel like the Orioles stole my 2018 summer. 

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, I suppose.    I feel like my summer has been stolen.    I can’t even bear to watch the games.   Yesterday I was following periodically on my phone, saw that the O’s were winning 4-1 in the 8th, and thought to myself that if the O’s were still winning going into the 9th I’d turn on the TV and watch.    Never did turn it on, obviously, and thank God I didn’t witness that ridiculous meltdown.    

I'd recommend a subscription to milb.tv for the remainder of the season. Sometimes the camera work is a little dicey, but it's nice to see glimpses of the future.

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Go see the future in Bowie!  Lots more fun than Baltimore atm.  I got to see Kremer, Bannon and Diaz yesterday.  Mountcastle reminded us he has a bat.  Good times!

7 hours ago, 99ct said:

By the way, have you officially converted to being a Nats fan yet? I know you were talking about it for a long time. 

I support both teams. Longer I am in DC, the more I like the Nats but follow and love both. Assuming your question is sincere and not trolling like others.

Archived