Schoop: Extend or Trade

Dipper9

What should we do with Schoop?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Schoop?

• Extend him.
    • Trade him.
    • Wait until next year's deadline when his value may be higher.

Now that the Manny soap opera is over, it won't be long before the same story begins for Schoop.  I hear a lot of people say to extend him and rebuild the team around him.  I hear just as many say trade him now while he has a year and a half of service left.  The problem is, unlike Manny, Johnny Baseball has done himself or the team no favors with his first half performance this season.  Extending him could be a huge risk, where as trading him now would be selling at a low value.  So, what say you...extend, trade, or wait until next year's trade deadline?  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Now that the Manny soap opera is over, it won't be long before the same story begins for Schoop.  I hear a lot of people say to extend him and rebuild the team around him.  I hear just as many say trade him now while he has a year and a half of service left.  The problem is, unlike Manny, Johnny Baseball has done himself or the team no favors with his first half performance this season.  Extending him could be a huge risk, where as trading him now would be selling at a low value.  So, what say you...extend, trade, or wait until next year's trade deadline?  

We know what he is capable of.  If his performance this season lowers his asking price, then extend him.  If we can't get a reasonable price on the extension, try to line up a trade during a time he's performing well.  It really depends on what he's willing to sign for.

Just now, ChosenOne21 said:

Send him to the minors for 2-3 weeks to get the extra year of control, hope he puts it together in the second half, then try to trade him

It wouldn’t be 2-3 weeks, because Schoop spent 27 days in the majors in Sept. 2013.    He’d have to be down about 6 weeks.    Not happening.   

The first question is does he want to stay. I'm not so sure now that Manny's gone...

That said, his value has definitely come back down to earth in this season. Probably to the point where it makes sense to approach him about an extension. I'd really like to see them give him a look at 3B. With his height / range I think he his bat would play much better at that position long term. I think DJ Lemahieu will be a free agent this year. He's fallen off a bit, but I think he'd really help this lineup. Maybe try to get him in a two year deal then extend Schoop and move him to 3b. 

28 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

We know what he is capable of.  If his performance this season lowers his asking price, then extend him.  If we can't get a reasonable price on the extension, try to line up a trade during a time he's performing well.  It really depends on what he's willing to sign for.

This is my thought. Some combination of the poll. Have extension conversations with him if his play picks up a bit (and possibly see if he has interest in trying 3b). If his play doesn't pick up at all in the second half, see if he can rebuild his value next season for a trade. I think his play will pick back up and I think he could be a guy to bridge the gap, especially if we decide to try to hang on to Bundy/Gausman. 

44 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

To me that's a hard question. Not sure about him.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Trade him this offseason, probably.   

I love both Jones and Scoop, but I think this is spot on. He probably continues to play better and then a trade is worked in the offseason. 

It surprised me some, but I heard the Red Sox mentioned as a team hunting for 2B help.  I figured Nunez covered them everywhere but with Pedroia likely out for year and Devers really scuffling, they may need an infielder.  Reunification of Netherlands middle infield.

Schoop and Britton for Devers?  Their farm is pretty thinned out after a couple Dombrowski years.

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I don't think so. When will his value be higher? Probably not in the offseason and probably not as a rental at next year's deadline.

I'm not sure how much time he's got left on the contract, but that definitely plays a part.  I was talking more from a performance standpoint, he's having a down year (with signs of coming around, .941 OPS in July).  

I like him a lot.  Honestly, I'd like to keep him but I think it makes more sense to trade him.  Can't get all sentimental here.

Archived