John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

And sometimes you love it enough to keep it around because it's valuable, or desirable, or simply useful.  There's no place for veteran leadership on a rebuilding club?  Are the Orioles going to be so jam-packed with 24 year-old superstars over the next couple of years that there's no room for him?  There's a difference between letting something go and throwing it away.

I like AJ but him coming back in 2019 would have to be in RF. Can't be CF. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Finally, I want to raise a jolly middle finger to the notion that rebuilds have to follow some rigid doctrine.  They don't, it's entertainment not religion.

You can say that, but I want to do exactly what the Cubs and Astros have done, because of the whole World Series thing.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

And sometimes you love it enough to keep it around because it's valuable, or desirable, or simply useful.  There's no place for veteran leadership on a rebuilding club?  Are the Orioles going to be so jam-packed with 24 year-old superstars over the next couple of years that there's no room for him?  There's a difference between letting something go and throwing it away.

1 hour ago, 24fps said:

I think he'll get a three year deal somewhere.  If the Orioles won't offer at least two years with an option then my advice, were I to be asked, would be to not make any offer at all. Don't publicly insult the man for wanting to bleed orange and black.

I want him back though, because sometimes I value things in athletes that can't be successfully argued on the internet - like leadership.  Normally I'm skeptical about intangibles but AJ is worth a rare exception IMO.  I'm also selfish, I want to watch one of my all-time favorite Orioles for a few more years while watching my favorite team.  

Finally, I want to raise a jolly middle finger to the notion that rebuilds have to follow some rigid doctrine.  They don't, it's entertainment not religion.

Without trying to extend the debate, I like your line of thinking in terms of the value of Adam Jones.  I think he has been a great Oriole and like Tillman, has been a huge part of the Oriole resurrection.  

But unless the Orioles somehow can remove themselves from both Trumbo AND Davis.  I think the sheer volume of young prospects for the outfield means Jones like Manny, and like Tillman are gone.  I hope he is traded to someone who has a chance in the post season and I think it is certainly possible he could return as a FA.  Just don't think it is likely and I agree with both of your posts.

2 hours ago, foxfield said:

Without trying to extend the debate, I like your line of thinking in terms of the value of Adam Jones.  I think he has been a great Oriole and like Tillman, has been a huge part of the Oriole resurrection.  

But unless the Orioles somehow can remove themselves from both Trumbo AND Davis.  I think the sheer volume of young prospects for the outfield means Jones like Manny, and like Tillman are gone.  I hope he is traded to someone who has a chance in the post season and I think it is certainly possible he could return as a FA.  Just don't think it is likely and I agree with both of your posts.

Roch is now reporting interest in Bundy, Gausman and Schoop.  No word on whether DD and the others have any interest in going that far.  If a full-blown rebuild does take place with a timeframe of longer than three years, then I can see CD being DFA'd and the O's eating his remaining contract.  I remain optimistic that Trumbo can be traded before spring training albeit not for much.

Does that result in a team AJ would want to return to?  Best question of all and I haven't a clue.

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Roch is now reporting interest in Bundy, Gausman and Schoop.  No word on whether DD and the others have any interest in going that far.  If a full-blown rebuild does take place with a timeframe of longer than three years, then I can see CD being DFA'd and the O's eating his remaining contract.  I remain optimistic that Trumbo can be traded before spring training albeit not for much.

Does that result in a team AJ would want to return to?  Best question of all and I haven't a clue.

Well, the question the FO has to ask themselves- when does the next window start?  If it's 2021, Gausman should be traded, since he can leave after 2020.  If it's a year later, Bundy is out, because he is a free agent after 2022.  The alternative is to extend one or both long-term if they believe Bundy and Gaumsn are finally going to be the 1-2 punch they envisioned years ago.  Or trade them for pieces who will be ready by then.  

I personally don't see Jones returning.  Mullins and Mancini are likely manning two of the outfield spots, provided Trumbo or Davis aren't off the roster by then- and I could see either Diaz or Hays making the MLB roster potentially.  Where does that leave Jones?  Even if he plays RF for one year, the long-term OF is Diaz-Mullins-Hays, and he probably wants to sign s 2-3 year deal with someone.  At some point, you've got to say your goodbyes, and this is it for Adam I'm afraid. 

16 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Well, the question the FO has to ask themselves- when does the next window start?  If it's 2021, Gausman should be traded, since he can leave after 2020.  If it's a year later, Bundy is out, because he is a free agent after 2022.  The alternative is to extend one or both long-term if they believe Bundy and Gaumsn are finally going to be the 1-2 punch they envisioned years ago.  Or trade them for pieces who will be ready by then.  

I personally don't see Jones returning.  Mullins and Mancini are likely manning two of the outfield spots, provided Trumbo or Davis aren't off the roster by then- and I could see either Diaz or Hays making the MLB roster potentially.  Where does that leave Jones?  Even if he plays RF for one year, the long-term OF is Diaz-Mullins-Hays, and he probably wants to sign s 2-3 year deal with someone.  At some point, you've got to say your goodbyes, and this is it for Adam I'm afraid. 

If the Orioles are going to do a full rebuild along the lines of what the Astros did a few years back, then a much, much better question IMO is why continue to think in terms of windows at all?  It's hardly obligatory and given the length and level of pain involved not recommended.  If they are going to radically change the structure of the organization, then I think they would be well served to change the philosophy as well.  Windows are a self-fullfilling prophecy.  If this ship has to go down, then let that be one of the first casualties.  Up with long-term sustainability and limit full rebuilds to 3-5 times every century.

A rebuild to the extent that many are rooting for could make the point about AJ's return moot.  I think it will be AJ saying his goodbyes to the O's in that scenario, but I really don't know.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

Teams have interest in Schoop??

10 hours ago, oriole said:

He's just saying what fans want to hear. I've heard him mention about how much he wants a ring. I think he goes where the competition is. I'm totally aware I could be wrong and 18 million is hard to pass up...especially considering how much losing a draft pick for his next team would affect his value. But if I've learned anything about the guy through the years is that he really wants to win. Nonetheless it'd probably be unwise for the O's to take that kind of risk.

I'm predicting Jones signs a contract with whatever team is offering the most money.  I just can't see him coming back to the O's when all our best position prospects are in the OF.

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

1.   Bundy and Gausman wake up and become aces.

2.    Diaz, Hays, Mullins, and Stewart all reach the majors and are studs.

3.    Beckham remembers he was the overall no. 1 pick and starts playing like it’s August 2017.

4.    Sisco starts hitting like he did in the minors.    

5.    Chris Davis goes to Tibet, gains enlightenment, and either comes back a new man or doesn’t come back at all.

Questions?

Chris Davis takes a vow of poverty and renounces all worldly possessions including the remainder of his contract.  :clap:

Archived