John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

10 hours ago, panick said:

If Jones is on the team after this year there might as well not be a rebuild.

The O's are already most likely stuck with Trumbo next year and Davis forever. The top prospects the O's have are outfielders. There's no reason to have an aging outfielder(who may or may not move from CF) who will be allowed to play most of the games because he wants to and he is one of Showalter's guys. Many posters on this board have complained about Showalter favoring 'his guys',  and now in this thread some of you want to have Jones around for a few more years because you like him!

It's time to move on to the future.

So you think an outfield of Hays, Mullins and Stewart is what should be out there next year?  

I’m not saying that the Os should bring back Jones, I am saying that Jones probably wants to come back. And if that means a one year deal for next year in exchange for waiving the 10/5 then that might be worth it. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, sevastras said:

So you think an outfield of Hays, Mullins and Stewart is what should be out there next year?  

I’m not saying that the Os should bring back Jones, I am saying that Jones probably wants to come back. And if that means a one year deal for next year in exchange for waiving the 10/5 then that might be worth it. 

I think Hays will need to reestablish his value ....I'd say you can sit aside one of 4-5 OF slots for Jones to play left/right and rotate DH. Give him a 1 year deal with a couple of options. Do this with the understanding that he would be helping move things along. Tell him you are considering him for a coaching gig when he's done playing if he's interested.

I hope the scenario of being traded and traded again was put out there too.  I can see the 2019 Orioles as a suitable place for him in a corner, and the value to the club is he has substantially more trade value next July due to a much lower salary and presumably being less of a defensive liability.

The fact is, there's no good LF on the roster for next Opening Day.  Rebuilding clubs sometimes can and should give temp jobs to veterans with potential upside in hopes of flipping them for a real long-term asset.

I figure Mullins is in CF before the end of this year.  Mancini's value is in his bat and I'd try to get the load of being a crappy fielder off him.  I'm rooting for DH for him next April, while he waits for Davis to vacate his 1B position.  Unless we luck into unloading Trumbo this year, I'd let him clomp around RF a bit because that helps his bat, and then maybe we can escape at least a few months of the final year.

Trumbo 'till June dovetails with getting Yusniel past Super Two next season.

McKenna's not ready yet, Hays has stalled out - LF AJ next year buys those guys half a season to see what sorts out.  Really the only guy it screws is DJ Stewart, but even he would have a job caddying for Jones and Trumbo in the corners (you've got the gaps Cedric).

This all presumes AJ would take a 1-year deal - I have zero interest in a multi-year deal.

My wish for AJ is a run at flags in 2018 and 2019 - next spring we might be an okay spot for him to keep his hitting skills sharp, refine his corner game and get more practice at remaining effective without being an everyday player.

31 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Adam Jones lives 1.5 miles from me and not once did he ever invite me over. ?
He's looking for almost $1M profit on the home in 5 years.
http://www.latimes.com/business/realestate/hot-property/la-fi-hotprop-adam-jones-maryland-home-for-sale-20180712-story.html

Looks like it could use a new roof. I would not want a fixer upper for $2.7M!

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

A rebuilding team should absolutely move on, and cold blooded businessmen could make that move and not look back.  I’m not that guy though.  It may be tricky but I hope they figure out a way to keep him.  

Heck right now the Orioles keep flanking him with infielders on each side.  Even if you call up Stewart and Mullins I still see room for Jones another couple years.  But that means moving Mancini back to first, which means tough swallows on Davis and Trumbo.  Thats all not impossible but also not probable either.

Mancini shouldn't even be on the team right now. If Jones moves to RF, that leaves CF and LF open for Mullins, Hays, and Stewart in 2019. I also don't know if any of those three end up being decent MLB regulars at this point.

1 hour ago, Why Not? said:

Is that right? I stand corrected then. It contradicts everything that I had seen written at the time of the auction. 

You are correct it does contradict it all. Wouldn't be surprised to see AJ locked up with a deal.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

You are correct it does contradict it all. Wouldn't be surprised to see AJ locked up with a deal.

Interesting insight.  Thanks as always.   Make no mistake, I would love to see AJ stick around for awhile, assuming he's willing to move to a corner OF spot.  That might make things a little crowded if Mullins / Diaz / Mountcastle / McKenna all pan out.........but how often does that happen.  He's a fantastic team leader and an awesome representative for the community and those things have value.  Plus he's still hitting for a decent average, even if his power has declined.

But having said all that...........

We probably shouldn't be giving a (soon-to-be) 33 year old outfielder a huge extension....I'd probably go 2-3 years at the most.........and I'm not sure we'll be relevant for any of those years?    I would be a little surprised still if Jones is up for something like that.

22 minutes ago, Sir_Loin said:

Interesting.  It's admirably human if he prioritizes his Baltimore legacy and community engagement above a shot at a dogpile.  I feel like he can still execute on his civic commitments even if he works for another, more successful, MLB club in the near term.  His window for being a dogpile helper is not very long at this point in his career.

16 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Interesting insight.  Thanks as always.   Make no mistake, I would love to see AJ stick around for awhile, assuming he's willing to move to a corner OF spot.  That might make things a little crowded if Mullins / Diaz / Mountcastle / McKenna all pan out.........but how often does that happen.  He's a fantastic team leader and an awesome representative for the community and those things have value.  Plus he's still hitting for a decent average, even if his power has declined.

But having said all that...........

We probably shouldn't be giving a (soon-to-be) 33 year old outfielder a huge extension....I'd probably go 2-3 years at the most.........and I'm not sure we'll be relevant for any of those years?    I would be a little surprised still if Jones is up for something like that.

I don't think a 33 year old corner outfielder with OBP issues is going to be able to command a huge extension. He'll get paid, but he isn't going to break the books.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Roberts, Hardy, O'Day, Davis, Trumbo.

How many of these deals have to blow up in the O's faces before y'all figure out it isn't a good idea?

Ouiji board says only 2 more.  That's good right?

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Roberts, Hardy, O'Day, Davis, Trumbo.

How many of these deals have to blow up in the O's faces before y'all figure out it isn't a good idea?

Nick markakis.  Nelson Cruz.

There I just proved your entire argument invalid.   ?

The Orioles need to have a youth movement.  For me that includes replacing everyone who will not be a part of the next playoff window.  That pretty much includes the entire position player opening day roster, with few exceptions (Sisco, Santander, Mancini...maybe Schoop).  Everyone else should be traded and/or replaced with a younger player who may be a part of the future.  Jones should be traded and should not be resigned.  

9 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Nick markakis.  Nelson Cruz.

There I just proved your entire argument invalid.   ?

Let’s only do the long term contracts that in hindsight turn out to be good.    If we do that, we should be an excellent team.   

Archived