O's 40 man roster this off season looks full

wildcard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, weams said:

Soon/This Offseason 

I don't see the O's trading Schoop or Gausman if there really is a three year plan.   They will extend both of them.

The O's don't eat contracts.  At least they haven't up till now.  I think Trumbo might be traded at next years July trade deadline.   Davis will be with the O's for years to come IMO.   He may not start but he will be on the 25 man roster.

Some of the names proposed for cuts in this thread surprise me.  You do know this will get worse before it gets better.  You do know that one of the strengths of a rebuilding franchise is giving significant at bats to fringe guys who may turn I to the next Carlos Pena.

1 hour ago, kramer_ said:

Orioles aren't close to being deep enough to feel the "40 man roster crunch".  Off-season of 2019...maybe and that will be a good problem to have.

Yeah, not concerned at all here.  A better way to look at this is to say the Orioles 40 Man roster this off season looks VASTLY IMPROVED.

And it will certainly continue to evolve from here....

8 hours ago, sevastras said:

Not if Rickard stays, haha. Or, now bare with me, what if they convert Davis to catcher? His production is similar to Caleb last year. Forgot about the payroll difference, never mind. ? although he does have a career 0.00 ERA?

I know you are being facetious, but in all seriousness... If they don't cut him, they have to do something with him. He's just causing a log jam at 1st & DH.  Converting him would be better than getting negative value there going forward.

11 hours ago, wildcard said:

With the  addition of Tate, Carroll and Rogers,

What will be O's look like after the seeson?

Players that will be gone from the 40 man roster:   (12 players)  Manny, Jones, Britton, Brach, Tillman,  Rasmus, Valencia, Gentry, Sardinas, Susac (out of options), Lee, Corban Joesph 

Which player over 30 will still be with the team: (7 players)  O'Day,  Davis, Trumbo (salary to high to trade for his production), Caleb Joseph, Bleier,  Cashner, Cobb

Starters: (11) Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, Cashner, Hess, Ramirez, Yacabonis. Harvey, Means, Tate, Rogers

Relievers:(13)  Givens, O'Day, Castro, Scott, Wright, Hart, Bleier, Meisinger, Fry,  Araujo, Kline, Luis Gonzalez,  Carroll

Pitchers on the Bubble: Ynoa (out of options),  Must be protected or exposed to Rule 5 draft ( Love, Brian Gonzalez)

Catchers: (3) Sisco, Wynns, Caleb Joseph

Infielders: (6) Davis, Schoop, Beckham, Nunez, Wilkerson, Valera

Outfielders: (6) Mancini, Stewart, Mullins, Hays, Rickard, Santander

DH: (1) Trumbo

On the Bubble: Wilson Garcia, Randolph Gassaway, Yastrezmski, Flaa, Dosch,  Vielma

Non tender candidates: Joseph, Hart and Peterson

Out of options and probably traded during the off season: Hart

Players that should not to be added because they don't have enough service time to need to be protected from the Rule 5 draft:  Akin, Mountcastle, McKenna, Diaz

That is 40 players on the 40 man roster.   

Players will be acquired in the trades of Jones, Brach, Hart and maybe Valencia

Needs: catcher, SS, 3B

I could see Joseph being gone via non-tender, as well as Hart and Peterson as you mentioned.  I think Sisco and Wynns are your catchers next year.  I also think they can move Trumbo, although they might have to eat some salary.  Still, anything they save by moving him is worth it.  I also think Cobb and/or Cashner could be moved, if they so choose.  Beckham may be non-tendered.  Schoop could be moved.

Lots of possibilities to open up spots on the 40-man, it just depends on how extensive they want to tear it down.  I say a full, frame off restoration is in order, not just some rust repair and a paint job.

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

I don't think we're at a crisis point of an overflowing 40 man roster yet.   Losing the bubble guys doesn't scare me.   If we decide to DFA Joey RIckard I won't lose any sleep.   I think we could leave Rogers unprotected and probably not lose him.

Rickard is likely to be the O's backup CF next season.  He can play all three outfield spots.   If Hays gets straightened out at some point he could replace Rickard but I look for Hays to need to play some AAA ball.   Same with Diaz. He can play Center.  But he needs more time.  The Texas League is a hitters league and he will need time in Bowie and probably Norfolk.   So that means Rickard stays for a while unless the O's pick up someone better.

Rogers is a lefties starter which means he probably get take in eh Rule 5 draft if exposed.   O's will not risk it IMO.

11 hours ago, sevastras said:

i am sure there was a plan in place when they took on the trade with the Yankees. 

Rickard and Santander could be out if there is a bad spring training for them. Injuries. 

Schoop, Givens, Gausman, Bundy could all be gone before the season starts for players that don’t need to go on the 40. 

The roster crunch will happen in late November when teams have to lock in the 40 man roster for the Rule 5 draft.   That will happen way before ST.

4 hours ago, weams said:

I think there are many players currently on the 40 man that will no longer be there. Folks with no prospect status will come off. They can build a team to play next year bases on who projects to 2021. 

I also think Schoop, Davis, Trumbo and Gausman will be gone. 

Davis?  Interesting...

11 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

Isn't it pretty necessary to have 3 catchers on the 40 man, regardless if it is Caleb or someone else?

If the O's non tender Joseph they will have to add a catcher by trade or FA to team with Sisco.  

11 hours ago, BobDylanBundy said:

Around a quarter of those players are just roster filler. I doubt the O's would have serious regrets cutting Wright, Araujo, Hart, Kline, Gonzalez, Ynoa, Joseph, Peterson, Wilkerson, or Rickard if they acquire some higher end players in trade. I also suspect there's a high probability O'Day, Schoop, Trumbo, and maybe Givens and Gausman are traded, perhaps some even this month.

The O's will concentrate on trading Jones, Brach, Valencia and maybe Hart before the July deadline.  That doesn't leave much time to trade one players IMO

44 minutes ago, wildcard said:

If the O's non tender Joseph they will have to add a catcher by trade or FA to team with Sisco.  

I don't. It's a last place team You can use a catch a throw only guy for league minimum. 

43 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The O's will concentrate on trading Jones, Brach, Valencia and maybe Hart before the July deadline.  That doesn't leave much time to trade one players IMO

A trade that helps both clubs:

Brach & Valencia to ATL for Derian Cruz/2b (#18) & Drew Lugbauer /3b-c (#28)

Archived