Dan's 3 year Plan

TonySoprano

7 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

I'll personally miss Zach. He was one of my favorites to cover from his time in Aberdeen until his days as an all-star closer, he never changed. A down to earth, friendly face who is one of the few guys who would actually say hello to me in the lockeroom if they saw me before I saw them.

I'm happy for him that he'll get a chance to compete for a ring and glad he was able to help the organization get some more pitching depth for the future.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading the tea leaves, it looks like Dan won whatever power struggle was going on between him, Brady, and Buck. Sounds like the sons are taking his shackles off and will let him actually be a real GM, not half of one. I think Buck is gone after this year, and who knows with Brady.

I trust DD to do this process. I don’t think he’d be here right now if he wasn’t coming back. Right now is when DD is at his best. Scouring the waiver wire, trading for guys that have 40 man roster concerns. If we could just give the man an international budget to sign players. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Duquette has been taking advantage of other teams’ depth and 40 man roster issues concerning the rule 5 next year. That’s how we’ve been able to get guys like Pop, Carroll, Kremer, Rogers, Valera, and Rogers and 2nd/3rd/4th and 5th pieces.

I’m pretty sure all of these guys, including Diaz and Tate, have to be on the 40 man roster by the time the rosters have to be set next November/December for the Rule 5 draft.  We’ve seen DD take advantage of this before, see Castro, Y. Ramirez, Asher, Ynoa, Verrett, Fry and others. 

We’re going to have to add a bunch of our own guys to the 40 man. Come November, DD might have turned over 50-60% of the 40 man roster. We might actually have a rule 5 guys drafted from us this year. 

All of this means we have to keep trading. For every Gausman, Bundy, Givens, Schoop, Joseph, Beckham, that we hold onto for next year, means that we’re risking exposing some pretty solid guys to the rule 5 next year.  

If someone that knows about the rule 5 requirements better would post how we’re looking, I’m sure everyone here would really appreciate it. 

It certainly made sense for the rentals, to exploit that roster crunch. 

For the comment about Gausman, Bundy... and risking losing a man on the 40.  If we do multiple player trades, were more likely to get more guys that need protecting.  If the rental tag is gone, maybe we can get a few more high upside, not needed on the 40 man types as well.  It's a balance they'll at least need to keep in mind during this process. 

Yes, we may have dead weight on the 40 now, but trading guys and then losing a few for the rule V would be pretty annoying to me.

5 minutes ago, TheDeau52 said:

Reading the tea leaves, it looks like Dan won whatever power struggle was going on between him, Brady, and Buck. Sounds like the sons are taking his shackles off and will let him actually be a real GM, not half of one. I think Buck is gone after this year, and who knows with Brady.

Will be an interesting off-season to see how who ends up with the baseball power.  Right now, the team is so bad they have no choice to trade Machado and Britton.  Buck does not have the time to review the farm systems of 8 to 10 teams and that is not Brady's cup of tea.  It is basically Dan by default and everybody else signs off on the trade. 

14 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

It certainly made sense for the rentals, to exploit that roster crunch. 

For the comment about Gausman, Bundy... and risking losing a man on the 40.  If we do multiple player trades, were more likely to get more guys that need protecting.  If the rental tag is gone, maybe we can get a few more high upside, not needed on the 40 man types as well.  It's a balance they'll at least need to keep in mind during this process. 

Yes, we may have dead weight on the 40 now, but trading guys and then losing a few for the rule V would be pretty annoying to me.

Sounds like the Orioles are focused on getting players that are close to the majors.  That is why 40 man Man players.  Guys will come up soon enough.  Of our position players on the current roster there aren’t many keepers.  

8 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

DD does sound incredibly confident and in command. Like a poster above, I wonder if DD has already won a power struggle with Brady (and maybe Buck?). 

I think folks read too much into the prior reports of palace intrigue, and are reading too much into recent events, too.    Dan’s the GM, and I’d expect him to be the one making the trades.    And if ownership has decided it’s time for a rebuild, Dan’s the guy who has responsibility to carry it out until ownership tells him he isn’t.   

30 minutes ago, atomic said:

Sounds like the Orioles are focused on getting players that are close to the majors.  That is why 40 man Man players.  Guys will come up soon enough.  Of our position players on the current roster there aren’t many keepers.  

I don’t think we’re focused on getting guys “closer” to the majors. Rather we’re getting “better” returns because we’re taking guys back that have to be on the 40 man this offseason. That matters when you’re talking about deep farm systems like the Yankees and Dodgers. We’re maximizing our returns. That’s why we are getting back more than the expert’s predictions. 

Hopefullu we keep this strategy and get the best returns possible. Just completely change the quality of the 40 man and system. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think we’re focused on getting guys “closer” to the majors. Rather we’re getting “better” returns because we’re taking guys back that have to be on the 40 man this offseason. That matters when you’re talking about deep farm systems like the Yankees and Dodgers. We’re maximizing our returns. That’s why we are getting back more than the expert’s predictions. 

Hopefullu we keep this strategy and get the best returns possible. Just completely change the quality of the 40 man and system. 

I agree, and was pointing out it makes a lot of sense for rentals.  With other trades I just want more balance.   That's all meant. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think folks read too much into the prior reports of palace intrigue, and are reading too much into recent events, too.    Dan’s the GM, and I’d expect him to be the one making the trades.    And if ownership has decided it’s time for a rebuild, Dan’s the guy who has responsibility to carry it out until ownership tells him he isn’t.   

Maybe you are right. Things are so obviously bad there’s really only one way forward. Certainly things are moving at a pace we haven’t seen since DDs first few years with the team. 

Given that he's clearly focused on a few years down the road I think it's more likely that Schoop and Gausman are traded.  Both can wait until the offseason but I think they are at least entertaining trades for them.  Based on what we got from Britton and Manny rentals we should be able to get a haul fully rebuilding our farm system

4 hours ago, bobmc said:

"The Orioles assigned Tate to Double-A Bowie and Rogers and Carroll to Triple-A Norfolk. They’ll need a replacement for Britton on the 25-man roster.

All three players must be protected from the Rule 5 draft before the Winter Meetings."

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/zach-britton-its-been-a-great-12-years.html

Interesting. I was expecting Carroll to take Britton's spot on the roster. I expect he'll be on the roster before the season is up.

Archived